RSS Feed Print
eulogy to my dad
Internal Administrator
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 8:58 AM

Originally posted by: lstratton

I recently lost my father after his 15 year battle with Alzheimers. I read this letter at his funeral. I had written it 4 years before he passed as I began to say "good-bye". I was told by several people at the funeral that I should share it to help other family and/or caregivers. I hope it brings some comfort and insight.

Dear Dad,

It is said that Alzheimer’s is the cruelest of diseases that one may suffer. It slowly robs the afflicted of their precious memories of their life, their mind and eventually their body. This may be true; no, this is painfully true. However, what is not said is that there are hidden, underlying precious gifts that are revealed to the loved ones left on the sidelines that witness and experience it alongside their loved one. I received those gifts many times these last few years.

Dear Dad, I believe I have been blessed to know and behold you in a special, intimate way; a way that would not have been possible without your illness. Dad, you have fought the odds in many ways by allowing your true, loving nature and dignity to shine through and warm my aching heart.

I am a very lucky and fortunate daughter to see your genuine, real character. I know that deep within your mind, even when it was clouded within it’s tangled webs, emerged your memories of love, devotion, compassion, gentleness, and even humor. Yes, many times you made me laugh! There have been many bittersweet, tender moments I will always treasure. A slight nod or a glint of light in your eyes that let me know you were there!

How many daughters can rewind the years of their father’s life to the time when he was a young innocent? I am one. I got a glimpse of the sweet little personality that my dear Granny, your beloved Mama, must have known and cherished; a sweet, darling, trusting soul to love.

How many daughters can truly understand the depth of love and bonding between their mother and father? I am one. I am witness to the undying love and commitment a man has for his woman. I see the way you gently stroke your Bobbie’s cheek and kiss her willing hand. You know she is at your side now and always.

How many daughters can turn the tables of nature’s course and nurture her father as she would her own child? I am one. You have accepted my gentle strokes and soft, soothing words like a lullaby at the end of a long day. Thank you for allowing me to comfort and love you which brought me immense comfort as well.

You are truly a good man, a good son, a good brother, a good husband, a good uncle, a good grandfather and my good father. Your life, your character, your self was not pretend, was not false, was not bravado. It was there when you were not.

Good night Dad. I love you!

Laura
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

That is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Jim Broede

You don't ever have to say goodbye, Laura. Because there'll always be a spiritual connection. That's the nice thing about the human spirit. One can choose to not let it die. Your dad's spirit will live inside you forever. It's a natural act of love. --Jim