RSS Feed Print
A believer in love and good vibes.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 9:16 AM
Originally posted by: cowboys

"Attitude is everything" I use to say this to my daughters everytime I dropped them off at elementary school..they are adults now. They got sick of hearing me say it but they know this to now be a truth. I get what you are saying. Its just hard with this disease to maintain that positive attitude..we must cut slack for caregivers..sometimes we are positive and sometimes we are just damn worn out. I get you though.
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: Jim Broede

I encounter so very many defeatist attitudes. Among Alzheimer care-givers. I suppose I can’t blame ‘em. But still I do. Because a defeatist attitude usually leads to defeat. And it doesn’t have to. Merely by experimenting. By looking for solutions to problems. Making things work. Every problem can be solved. One way or another. It’s just a matter of finding the right way. I post on the Alzheimer’s message boards. To try to encourage care-givers that have problems. Because I spent 13 years as a care-giver. To my dear Jeanne. And I once had a defeatist attitude. Which did me no good. But finally I said, ‘I’ll find a way to cope. To solve every problem that I encounter. I’ll stay upbeat. I’ll exude good vibes. All of the time when I am in Jeanne’s presence. Even if I don’t feel like it. I’ll fake it.’ And do you know what? It worked. Worked for Jeanne. Worked for me. Yes, it’s all in the attitude. One has to keep plugging away. And become a believer. In pure love. And good vibes. –Jim
Anonymous
Originally posted by: soledad

I think you´re both right. I too have changed during these fifteen years. I too have decided that it works better for me to think about solving problems, figuring out how to deal with situations as they come up. And yes, love is really the only thing that works in the end. But I too remember keenly the pain of seeing someone turn into...a not very nice stranger sometimes.

By now, for me, it´s almost second nature to shrug off certain things, not let daily annoyances get to me, not be defeatist as you say. But I wasn´t always able to do that and I haven´t seen it out to the end yet so I also feel great compassion for the stressed out, confused, suffering caregiver. As you both clearly do.

It´s been a long day. It´s time for a little mindless TV!