RSS Feed Print
Love Remains
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 9:20 AM

Originally posted by: Jessie C.

Caring for a late stage Alzheimer's patient can be like waves crashing on the beach; each day comes with both urgency and monotony, eroding the energy of the caregiver. Yet, in the process, pearls can be found. Living with my Granddaddy while he cared for my Granny who suffered from Alzheimer's, I saw this all to well. The small moments of connection that linked them forever: the intimacy shared during feedings, the way my Granny would straighten her back when lipstick was applied, and how even when she didn't know him, she recognized his efforts, 'That man sure works hard. He does everything around here.'

Even though we lost my Granny in pieces, she never lost the sweetness and compassion she had. There would be months of routines and non-response, but then upon the sight of a baby, my Granny would stretch her arms out. She was happy with kids surrounding her. As a mother, a grandmother, and a great grandmother, she had delighted and doted on each of us. One time, when I was leaving, I was weeping when I said goodbye. Without missing a beat, this woman who no longer knew me, offered the very blanket off her lap.

These are the rewards of caregiving: knowing that the person you love is still there, that in any given moment there can be a connection that makes it all worthwhile and knowing that the body with all of its frailties cannot touch the resoluteness of the spirit that resides within. Knowing that a connection made over sixty years ago at a party 'over the hill' can stand the test of time. As my Granddaddy always said of my Granny, 'I saw her across the room and knew she was the one.' Nothing changed that, not even Alzheimer's.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: ValRe

Jessie, thank you so much for your loving tribute to your grandmother and grandfather. You recognised the losses caused by the Alz., and gave the greater tribute to the undying spirit of love. That is what I see in the most loving relationships, too. Even when the personality changes to something unrecognizable in the ailing person, I believe the spirit God gave them is the same and never stops perceiving the lasting love.

Such a wonderful gift your grandparents gave you.

Namaste.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: just exhibit love

Jessie

thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings..and the true meaning of unconditional Love.

Namaste
Love Rosie
Anonymous
Originally posted by: r1zbear

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Hi Jessie,
Welcome to our Forum. Thank you so much for sharing. So much love is demonstrated in your writing. Peace
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Jim Broede

You are a positive thinker, Jessie. You find good meaning. In the life force. --Jim