RSS Feed Print
help planning
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:40 PM
Originally posted by: Lisa 428

Dear rwoulf,

Hello and Welcome to the AD/Related Dementia's Message Boards. I'm sorry to hear about your wife but I am glad you've found us.

Can you tell us a little bit more about yourselves?

If you need immediate help, please call the 24/7 toll free Helpline @800-272-3900. Ask to speak with a Care Consultant.

Can your wife participate on these boards? Please, ask her to join us.

We would love to have you both here!

Welcome to OUR family. You are NOT alone. We are here.
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: rwoulf

Wife 56 w/ alz, i quit work for care giving,she is in stage 4. we have small income stupid question but what can i expect in near future
Anonymous

Thanks for help and insight in this forum; to answer your questions with ////my questions
1. wife is 57 diagnosed at 53//// my ??? how long could she live?
2. John Hopkins made disag. of Alz./////should i go to another place???
3. she on Nemenda and exelon patches////// is there better meds????
4. I quit work little family support///// I have 2 daughters how much can I interfere in their late teens life's???
5. she's in stage 4 of 7/// How to you take car keys away?????
6. we are lucky to have SSD and small retirement income//// but how do you pay for Nursing home care in later stages????

please give me your ideas on all or anyone of these ?????

Thanks
Anonymous
Originally posted by: younghope1

welcome rwoulf! You have come to a very good place for both answers and support.

As what to expect in the future, that is kinda hard to say without knowing more of your story. Is your wife on medications for the Alz? When was she diagnosed? What is her environment like? Do you have a support system?

If you will look at the Facts information on the homepage of this site, you will see that a person usually has 8-10 years AFTER diagnosis. BUT, that IS NOT the case for everyone. Some DO live up to 15 to 20 years after diagnosis.

Please share more of your story with us so we can be more precise on answering your question. You may also post in the Caregivers section, you will get more answers than here probably.

Just remember that each person is different with this disease.

Tracy
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Hi Wroulf,
Welcome to our world. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Read everything you can. A great beginning are two on-line offerings. Jennifer's, Understanding the Dementia Experience is on line and is only 28 pages, so is easy to download for underlining, etc.

Understanding the Dementia Experience.
http://www.alzheimercambridge....tia%20Experience.pdf Understanding the dementia experience

Also, you might want to download Coach Boyle's Playbook. It is free and can be found here:
http://www.alzheimersplaybook.com/
Anonymous

new to board my wife can not take part,
Anonymous
Originally posted by: geegee

Hello rwoulf, Welcome to our online family. We are glad that you found us and we hope we can offer you some support and understanding. I am so sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis.

We would like some more information so we can maybe Wink answer your question better. We will try. Do you have family or friends for support. Was she diagnosed by a Neurologist or her family doctor or how? Please tell us more.

Just know you are not alone. Please contact your local Alzheimer's Association. You can find it by clicking on "Chapters" in the box below. We urge you to call the Helpline. That number is located also at the bottom of this page and every page. They are there for any question or concern 24 hours a day. You can click on the box below for more information.

Again, we are glad you are here.
Smiler
Anonymous

Dear Rwoulf,
About the driving: Mimi's test questions are good. If you answer those and feel she should not drive, you could discuss it with her doctor and see if he would tell her she can no longer drive. Appeal to her by saying it is better to give up the keys voluntarily rather than have your license completely revoked or have a moment of indecision that causes and accident that injures/kills an innocent person.

If you click on the following, you can go to a discussion about planning for care outside of the home.

http://alzheimers.infopop.cc/e...75102261/m/293306053

The Caregivers forum should also be helpful. This is where this discussion took place last year.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Steve_SanJose

There is so much free help out there.It payed for from taxes when you were wiring so go for it. Your local Alzheimer's Assn chapter has all the refurals. Call them any time of day 7 days a week. It toll free.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Hi Rwoulf,
Thanks for your answers.
John Hopkins has a great dementia department. I would see no need for further testing. And only God knows the answer to your question. If her health, other than the AD diagnosis is good, she could live her normal life span.

Driving; To be fair, I have to tell you I have Ad and still drive. A good question to ask is: how do you feel sitting in the passenger seat while she drives? Would you let young children be in the car when she drives? Has she gotten lost? Had accidents.

Final question on money. States vary. Please contact your local Alzheimer's Assoc. Chapter. [hit chapters, below.] Do they have a Social Worker.

Can your wife log on to the i have AD under 65 site? We'd love to meet her.

Learn as much as you can. Wander through the alz.site. Check out your local library.

Good luck.
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by Steve_SanJose:
There is so much free help out there.It payed for from taxes when you were

wiring [working] so go for it. Your local Alzheimer's Assn chapter has all the refurals. Call them any time of day 7 days a week. It toll free.

Rwoulf,
Please read Steve's message again. He says this from his first hand experience.

Thank you, Steve, for confirming the value of the local Chapter and the 24/7 Helpline at 1-800-272-3900.