RSS Feed Print
Other residents can help!
Internal Administrator
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 7:31 PM

Originally posted by: mitchbic

Hi all!
Recently, when visiting my Dad, one 100 year old resident came up to us to start a conversation. She's VERY nice, but before Dad has acted annoyed that my attention was being diverted. I began talking to her and she began talking to Dad. One question for him was "Do you plan an instrument?". This led to me taking him over to the piano and having him play a hymn, while I retrieved his mandolin I had brought in earlier. I then placed him in a chair without arms and I accompanied him while he played several hymns on the mandolin. This 100 year old lady sang with us!! What a VERY special moment! Another resident came up to talk to us another day. I was already in tears, after trying to explain to Dad I couldn't take him away from there. Out of the blue, this lady (who also has some dementia) asked Dad, "Do you like it here?". He responded, "Fair". She continued with, "What it is you don't like?".... There I sat welling up with more tears, being touched by her interest. I would try to converse with her, hoping to distract myself, but the tears kept coming! She eventually AND GENTLY asked, "Can't you stop crying?" Smiler I start crying all over again writing this! She was SO sweet and understanding, saying that it's very hard on the family and resident being in the nursing home... It just proves that even though one is in a nursing home, they can still be a blessing to other people!! Thanks for being patient while I ramble!! Brenda
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 7:31 PM
Originally posted by: Barbara J P

quote:
Originally posted by mitchbic:
Hi all!
Recently, when visiting my Dad, one 100 year old resident came up to us to start a conversation. She's VERY nice, but before Dad has acted annoyed that my attention was being diverted. I began talking to her and she began talking to Dad. One question for him was "Do you plan an instrument?". This led to me taking him over to the piano and having him play a hymn, while I retrieved his mandolin I had brought in earlier. I then placed him in a chair without arms and I accompanied him while he played several hymns on the mandolin. This 100 year old lady sang with us!! What a VERY special moment! Another resident came up to talk to us another day. I was already in tears, after trying to explain to Dad I couldn't take him away from there. Out of the blue, this lady (who also has some dementia) asked Dad, "Do you like it here?". He responded, "Fair". She continued with, "What it is you don't like?".... There I sat welling up with more tears, being touched by her interest. I would try to converse with her, hoping to distract myself, but the tears kept coming! She eventually AND GENTLY asked, "Can't you stop crying?" Smiler I start crying all over again writing this! She was SO sweet and understanding, saying that it's very hard on the family and resident being in the nursing home... It just proves that even though one is in a nursing home, they can still be a blessing to other people!! Thanks for being patient while I ramble!! Brenda

Your post was so sweet. Thank you for sharing.