RSS Feed Print
financial help for veterans & surviving spouses
Internal Administrator
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:12 PM

Originally posted by: Mickie

check out these sites - don't miss a chance to get financial help for a veteran or surviving spouse of a veteran !!!!!

http://www.veteranaid.org/
http://www.vetassist.org/index.htm

EXERPT from one site . . . The Veterans' Administration offers a Special Pension with Aid and Attendance (A&A) benefit that is largely unknown. This Special Pension (part of the VA Improved Pension program) allows for Veterans and surviving spouses who require the regular attendance of another person to assist in eating, bathing, dressing, undressing or taking care of the needs of nature to receive additional monetary benefits. It also includes individuals who are blind or a patient in a nursing home because of mental or physical incapacity. Assisted care in an assisted living facility also qualifies.

This most important benefit is overlooked by many families with Veterans or surviving spouses who need additional monies to help care for ailing parents or loved ones. This is a "pension benefit" and is not dependent upon service-related injuries for compensation. Most Veterans who are in need of assistance qualify for this pension. Aid and Attendance can help pay for care in the home, nursing home or assisted living facility. A Veteran is eligible for up to $1,519 per month, while a surviving spouse is eligible for up to $976 per month. A couple is eligible for up to $1,801 per month
Anonymous
Originally posted by: maggador

If you have a local chapter of the American Legion, I suggest you get them to help you apply. It goes much faster with the help. I got my uncle into the VA is 3 days with the help of the American Legion. It was wonderful to have someone who knew the right people to call to get things put through fast!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Ronb

Isn't there net income and asset requirements to be able to participate in this program as with most VA programs?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Gretchen Elizabeth

Hi Mickie, I'm a newcomer here (just joined yesterday). Your message about Vet's benefits answered a LOT of questions and has given me more comfort than you will ever know. From my heart to yours, Thank you.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Phyllis88

Mickie - thank you for this information. My mother and my father were both veterans so I am already in the process of filling out the paper work to send to the Veterans Administration. Thank you for sharing this.
Phyllis
Anonymous
Originally posted by: brightwings

Nik-key
On another post you wrote that you don't have homecare or daycare for your husband.
If you paid for either of these services, the cost would be deducted from your income in figuring out A&A and you may be eligible.

In addition you can deduct meds, adult diapers, any health insurance you pay.
My mother went to a private pay daycare twice/week that cost about $800/month.
She was eligible for A&A (about $998/month) because of this expense subtracted from her Social Security.
I read that your husband is younger so if/when you look for daycare, find one that has other younger men-- sadly, they exist.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: hhopper

weekley email digest
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Nik-key

Yes Rob, it is based on your income. With JUST our social security, we were denied...becasue we make too much money!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: skericheri

This information is so valuable. Thanks for posting it.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Krystal

We have applied for aid and attendance for my father who suffers from alzheimers. He lives in an alzheimer asst. living facility since Feb. 2008. We applied to the VA in March 2008 and found out in October that we needed a custodian for him. My brother (legal (POA) has made that application and now we understand that it could take up to six months or more before we get interviewed for acceptance. There are only two interviewees in the State of VA according to our local VA office that reviews these files. The VA currently sent letter show several thousand in back pay my father will get to go toward the payment for his care and we desperately need it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.