RSS Feed Print
Trying to find someone like me
Internal Administrator
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:00 PM

Originally posted by: Sierra1995

Im just your average fourteen year old girl except my mom was diagnosed with alzheimer's when i was nine. There is no one around me in my situation so i kinda need to place. Anybody out there?
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DSM14:
DH is 54.

yeaa it really makes me mad that people can get it so young. It takes people lifes away and they realize its happening. Im reading a book called still alice and its about a woman with alzheimers and its amazing and I totally recommend it to anyone with someone close to them with alzheimers. I gotta say the book makes me cry everytime i read it and im not really a softy haha.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:01 PM

quote:
Sierra.
I'm glad you found this place, too.

You will find a ton of support here.

I'm sorry you are unable to access chat room.

I will try to contact the administrators and figure out a way for us to exchange e-mail.

alright that sounds great. May i ask how old your husband is because my mom was diagnosed when she was 60. I imagine your husband is much younger since you have a 3 year old.
Anonymous

quote:
oh, sweetheart. if I could reach through and give you a hug right now, I would.

my hubby has EOAD (early onset Alz. disease) and we have 3 kids, ages 11, 5, and 3.

I would love to get you in contact with my oldest daughter, and you guys could help each other out, I'm sure.

Have you ever been to the chat rooms? If not, please come. I'm usually there between 9-11 PM (pacific time). but if I'm not, keep trying.

I'm on right now, too, if you happen to read this message.

I want to go to the chatrooms but i dont have the flashplayer thing required for it and I cant download it. My computer is pretty bad haha. I would love to talk to your daughter cause i know i was so lost and that i blamed myself for my moms disease.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: MB17

quote:
Originally posted by Sierra1995:
Im just your average fourteen year old girl except my mom was diagnosed with alzheimer's when i was nine. There is no one around me in my situation so i kinda need to place. Anybody out there?

I have two daughters 11 and 14 and their dad has been diagnosed with alzheimers. I know they would love to exchange thoughts with you especially my 14 year old. I just started going to this website, but it's helping me so much. I hope you're still checking it and that you can respond so that I may tell them there is someone out there who is going through what they're going through. I hope to hear from you. Don't worry God is always taking care of all of his children.
Anonymous

quote:
Originally posted by Ttom:
Hi Serra1995, my name is Tom. I have Alzheimer's and a 14 year old grandson. Also, I live in PA. Glad to meet you neighbor!
Please tell us more about your situation. You might not know how average you are. There are over 5 million americans with Alzheimer's right now and that number will double soon. Is your mom living home? How about the rest of your family? What about school, are you in sports?

Please respond back. Many of us on this site understand your situation and care about it. Alzheimer's hurts the family members as much as it hurts the one who has it. Worse yet, you guys can rember all the pain!

Hey. I know there are many people with alzhiemers and I hate that. My mom was just moved to a nursing home about fifteen minutes away from my house in July. She is completly non verbal and if she doesnt want to listen to you she will close her eyes and go into her own little world. She is my adopted mother but shes the only person i know as a mom. She had five children before she got me. They are all over 35. They wouldnt visit her or help me and my dad for about two whole years. Now they visit her once and a while. They use to think i was selfish because I hated that i delt with her 24/7 and they came for a few hours a year. Im apart of the diving team at my school. Im mostly a chorus nerd though haha. Im just glad i found this place.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Johanna C.

Dear Sierra: We are glad that have you have found this a comfortable place to talk to others. You are always welcome, and as you can see, this is a very supportive Online Community.

Because you are a minor, and because this is cyberspace, no one truly knows just who is on the "other end" of the line in either direction. There is no way to tell if everyone is exactly who they say they are.

Therefore, while I cannot 100% speak for the policies governing this Online Community in regard to giving out phone numbers or email addresses; I would pretty much bet that it would not be appropriate to try to do so to make personal connections for you with other people. You are very smart, and I feel that you understand this.

It truly is about your safety and protection and the safety and protection of everyone in this community.

DSM14s daughter would also need to be protected. I know this may sound fuddy-duddy and feel frustrating; BUT as an RN with a strong background in people from all walks of life, and as the wife of a police detective and the mother of two police officers, my history with this sort of thing is quite experienced. I can truly 100% say that NO ONE can EVER be too careful. Ever.

So, because we care about you and care about the other people and their children, it is healthier to communicate in this manner.

What I WOULD like to do for you, is once again offer you the opportunity to go into the Caregiver's Forum. You will find many more people there - that is the happening place. You will get much increased input and discover information and gain even more support.

Iris kindly provided a link for teens put together by the Alzheimer's Assn. That was nice of her.

Also, since you are computer literate, I would also like to offer you the opportunity of clicking onto the forum titled, "Questions for the Care Consultant." You will see this forum listed with the others when you enter this site.

The Care Consultants are marvelous social workers who can respond to any questions, give input, listen to your concerns and be able to respond in an eduated and professional manner. They are awesomely kind and very caring people.

I would also like to suggest looking for a support group in your area where you live. To do this, you can contact the Alzheimer's Association in your community. To find your local chapter, you can go to, www.alz.org/apps/findus.asp
The social workers at your local office will know where there are groups in your community. They may even have resources for teens.

Support groups can be terrific where one meets others who understand just what we are experiencing because they are facing many of the same issues and feelings.

Also, there is a 24 hour hotline that you can contact to communicate with very nice Alzheimer Association volunteers who can speak with you about what you are facing. The number is, 800)272-3900.

I am sorry to hear that there is a strain in your relationship with your father. There is a lot going on and being a teen facing complicated adult issues is definitely not easy.

In every school, there is a counseling office. The schools also can refer a student who requests help with their issues to a counselor whose job it is to do specifically just that. Have you thought of speaking to a counselor or a trusted teacher?

Do you have any adults you are close to in your life? Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, Cousins, etc.? Do you have brothers or sisters? If so, how old are they?

We don't know much about your mother and how the family is dealing with her care, visiting, etc. If you would like to speak about that, it would be fine.

Anyway, I hope you do take advantage of some of the resources available, it could open new doors you have not yet thought about which could offer comfort and be of great assistance.

When one goes fishing, one can find hidden treasure.

In the meantime, take good care and be ever cautious when online.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: DSM14

DH is 54.
Anonymous

Hello Dear Sierra: You may write on any forum on the Online Community; BUT - if you wish to have much more input, I'd like to invite you to click on the, Caregiver's Forum when you enter this site.

Even though you are not providing direct care, the Caregiver's Forum is for anyone who cares about someone with dementia.

You will find much more input there as that is the main place folks go to communicate.

That being said, I am so glad you are amongst us and we will be here for you. This really is a difficult situation, and I am sorry you must experience it.

How are things going with you and your Dad? How is he doing with all of this? It sounds as though he has a terrific kid and that is quite a blessing.

Warm hugs,

Johanna C.
Anonymous

heey dsm14 i dont think they did haha. I would love to get in contact with you though.
Anonymous

Hey Ive talked to teachers and counselors but have found that to be a bad idea since now all i get is pity from them. I hate that. The only adult i have close to me is my bestfriends mom. Shes like a mother to me and I tell her everything. I have eight brothers and sisters. My mom had five children before adopting me. They are all grown with children. Their names are Robyn,Darin,Ruthie, Troy, and Tracy and they all think i complain to much. My mom did everything for them when they were younger and raised them on her own because their father was an alcoholc and they just started seeing her. They wouldnt bother with her at all. If they did it was for a few hours cause people were coming to their house and they didnt want her to embaress them. I truly dislike them because they are the most selfish people i know. They visit her now like once a month when they all live fifteen minutes away yet they can visit their father who has cancer and didnt take care of them. He lives right up the street and they always went to his house but never ours. Thats bull and it really pisses me off. Uhm my other three siblings are John, Julia, and Joey and they are my real fathers children. Ive only met julia. My mom is now in a home btw. She was placed in july.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Iris L.

Hello, Sierra, I'm glad you found this site. Have you looked at the Kids and Teens section of this site, alz.org? There is a video in the middle called "My Name is Lisa". Check it out.
http://www.alz.org/living_with...r_kids_and_teens.asp

Iris L.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Ttom

Hi Serra1995, my name is Tom. I have Alzheimer's and a 14 year old grandson. Also, I live in PA. Glad to meet you neighbor!
Please tell us more about your situation. You might not know how average you are. There are over 5 million americans with Alzheimer's right now and that number will double soon. Is your mom living home? How about the rest of your family? What about school, are you in sports?

Please respond back. Many of us on this site understand your situation and care about it. Alzheimer's hurts the family members as much as it hurts the one who has it. Worse yet, you guys can rember all the pain!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Lauren5786

Hey Sierra!

My name is Sierra(haha!), and I'm 18 years old.
I'm starting to take care of my 54 year old father who is showing signs of dementia. I have two siblings, ages 14, and 8- and our mother is not present, so I will be fighting to gain custody of them. Just like you, I came to this website looking for someone I could relate to. There are a lot of really awesome helpful people here, and if I could help you with anything in any way, just let me know!

Sierra
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Iris L.

Hi Sierra, How are you doing now? Did you get a chance to look at the Kids and Teen section on the home page? What did you think?

Johanna C gave you good advice about staying safe on the internet. You sound like an intelligent young woman and I'm sure you understand where she's coming from.

If you go to the Caregiver forum you can start your own thread for teens and I'm sure many other teens will respond to you. If you want, I will start a thread for you. Just answer back here and let me know.

Iris L.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: A.ALLEN

I do not know where you are living,but the larger cities do have ALZ.support groups for young family members.I know they also do comm.events together in some cities as well-it would be worth it to call your ALZ.ASSOC.in your area! GOOD LUCK! THis is hard enough to except as an adult,but a child or young teen must be very difficult.I do know there are some wonderful books in the "self help" section at BARNES and NOBLE too! I have seen them recently.,can not recall the names,sorry! Blessings to your family-
Anonymous

me and my dads relationship is completely strained. we use to be bestfriends and now im gone every weekend and we barely talk.
Anonymous

Sierra, did the online administrator contact you with my e-mail?
I asked them to so you could get a hold of me. if the haven't, and you would like to contact me, let them know.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Carolina Songbird

Sierra -- hooray for chorus nerds!!!

Here's another suggestion: Call the helpline at 1-800-272-3900. Ask for a care consultant. They can help you make contact with a support group in your area, which may even have special programs for teens. That would be a much safer way to meet people who have the same issues as you rather than over the Internet. We all want you to find support -- but more than that, we want you to be safe. Your mom would want the same thing (and more!) for you.
Anonymous

Sierra.
I'm glad you found this place, too.

You will find a ton of support here.

I'm sorry you are unable to access chat room.

I will try to contact the administrators and figure out a way for us to exchange e-mail.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Alan in Colorado

Sierra, you asked if you could help in any way? Clone yourself!!! I'm also a 54 y.o. guy with early Alzheimer's, and I envy your father. At the same time, if I were your father I'd want you to get on with your adult life. Go to college, join the Army, tour with a band, just get out there and live your life.

I'll bet your dad is the same.

By the way, why the "haha" after your name? You have a beautiful name, easy to say, rich in history.
Anonymous

oh, sweetheart. if I could reach through and give you a hug right now, I would.

my hubby has EOAD (early onset Alz. disease) and we have 3 kids, ages 11, 5, and 3.

I would love to get you in contact with my oldest daughter, and you guys could help each other out, I'm sure.

Have you ever been to the chat rooms? If not, please come. I'm usually there between 9-11 PM (pacific time). but if I'm not, keep trying.

I'm on right now, too, if you happen to read this message.
Anonymous

Two Sierra's is very confusing. Perhaps we'd better keep our heads up!