RSS Feed Print
Amusing days with dementia
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 10:29 AM
Originally posted by: Val-Re

My father's Alz. isn't obvious to most who haven't been around Alz. with a family member or other close person.
BUT, one day, when we were were sitting at the dining table, he started giving me instruction on using the pepper can he had in his hand, telling me very seriously how to use each opening and to be especially careful not to shake from the center one or I'd be really sorry!
And I never did.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Stevesdawg

My mom ABSOLUTELY LOVED the TV game "Wheel Of Fortune". Mom died in Nov. 06. Last Christmas, Dad (AD) and I were out doing some shopping, and we saw a "Wheel Of Fortune" game that can be played on a home TV. Of course, there was a cord going from the set to the controls used by the player. We talked about how Mom would have loved to have something like that, and thinking of their rather large family room and the location of Mom's favorite chair, I sort of absently asked, "I wonder how long that cord is?"

Without missing a beat and with a perfectly straight face, Dad replied, "Not long enough to reach from the grave . . . " and I just burst out laughing!! Every now and then, Dad's old wit still shines through . . .
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Jim Broede

It's nice to know, Marie, that you know that you have a good life. When you put everything together, you see that the big picture is beautiful. Nice to read your posting. It conveys a good feeling. --Jim
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: MarieRN

Awoke this morning to see Grandpop sitting at the kitchen table banging with a knife in his hand. As I walked closer, I saw he was stabbing at a can of pineapples....his favorite before his diabetes was diagnosed. Couldn't help but open it and give him a few....we all need a reason to smile...even if it is a yellow circle of pineapple. Smile!

Yesterday was my son's 17th birthday! He opened a Dell box to find a computer keyboard...his happiness doubled when he noticed underneath there were car keys. His first car was out of the driveway in record time...with me, Dad, and sister all in the backseat. His smile reached from ear to ear! Upon returning I found Grandpop eating the ravioli out of the pot that I had turned off just before my son's quick escape. Guess I better start learning not to leave Grandpop alone...even for a minute! Smile!

Does anyone else have these silly moments with dementia patients? Or is it really just my genetic consequence of being Irish?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Bettyhere

No, you don't have to be Irish. Many, many moments like this happened w/us and a lot depends on how you take them. The day that my DH put prunes in the dog dish was -- let's say--amusing. Fortunately I got there before the dog ate them. Over and over again he got hugs & kisses for such actions, once I realized we were dealing w/a brain disease. And do not leave him alone even for a moment, you cannot image what they can do, it's like leaving a toddler alone, you cannot watch them enough.

Take these moments, treasure them, have fun, give lots of hugs & kisses, they appreciate it.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Molly Schaffer

Nearly every day with my grandpa is humorous. My favorite is the time he started telling us a story and, by the time he finished, forgot that he had told it so he started right over again. This went on for about 5 minutes and probably would have gone on longer if we hadn't all started laughing.

I sometimes feel bad about laughing at the things he does but I suppose it's better to laugh it off than to get angry and frustrated.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Belinda Fry

Two nights ago I was with my mom who lives in a very nice "assisted living" place. She had the remote in her hand and advised that she "made this thing". I said "oh wow, what does it do? Turn on the TV?" and she proudly said "yep, watch" and pointed it and the tv came on. Yes, this was the first time I have found something funny. Whenever another family member experiences something similar and tells me, I get very depressed. Seeing this and seeing the innocence with which it was said, hits me hard. Three years ago I thought she was doing "things" just to be funny. My mom's always had the best sense of humor. I gues being in denial.....