Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:21 AM
Originally posted by: Lisa 428

Alan,
I can't imagine these boards without you! Big Grin
Anonymous

Alan,
You are soooo right. I went to a brunch today with some ladies I worked with several years ago. When I told them I had AD and they insisted they did the same things, I just laughed! Smiler

Thanks for giving me some of my power back. I think I'm going to need all I can get! Big Grin
Anonymous

Hi to All,
I must re-kindle this because I still have family and friends who who say, "Oh, I do that!"
Wow, it still makes me crazy.

They don't do "our" that! Confused
Anonymous

Hi to All,
I felt bad when my sister called me on the phone to tell me she read the message boards (which I'm very glad she does) and "She DOES do that too!! AHHH, I LOVE my sister but she just doesn't get it. I asked her to read the book "Still Alice." I hope that helps her with perspective.(Person with EOAD perspective).
I know she only wants to help and I LOVE her for that. I know she does do some things we do but it's just NOT the same.
Alan, please tell us more jokes!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Laura H

I get that alot. I have just learned to laugh it off. I hope they never do find out what its like

Laura
Anonymous

I have many friends that say those words thinking they will make me feel better. It doesn't make me feel better. Most of the time it makes me angry but I try to blow it off! I think they are trying to help but in fact it makes me feel worse because there is no way they can relate!!

Peace and Hope,
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Alan in Colorado

I remind myself to appreciate a person is trying to relate to my symptoms. Hopefully, I think of that before a harsh comment comes out.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Iris L.

I'm in 9th place on hold at my library for "Still Alice". I can't wait to read it, although I might not remember it. (ha ha)

Iris L.
Anonymous

It's neat that you can still enjoy the company of so many people at once. And laugh at something funny, even! Way cool. Here's a joke you can tell them, next time you're together:

So my buddy was at his doctor's, and the doctor says,

"I have bad news, you have two serious illnesses. First, you have cancer."

You:"Oh gosh not that, cancer! What else?"

Doctor: "You have Alzheimer's Disease."

You: "Alzheimer's Disease!! Well . . . at least I don't have cancer!"
Anonymous
Originally posted by: younghope1

I may not be so eloquent, "You may say or do that but you don't have dementia, so what is your excuse?"

TRacy
Anonymous

Oh Alan,
You're such a card. I'll bet you even walk with a shuffle Big Grin !
Anonymous

Lisa, I couldn't help myself! Anyway, to laugh at something is to take back some of our power.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Advocation/Mary

PLEASE KEEP THE FUNNY PAGES GOING.... I haven't laughed like this in a long while. Talk about rolling on the floor.....

I think if I hear one more person say, "Oh, I'm forgetful too, half the time I can't remember anything! Then if I'm feeling nasty, I say, "what did you just say, I can't remember" and I walk away!

Makes me feel good anyway. I've always said that ignorance was bliss this is how people profess, "I don't know"!!!!!!!!!
M
Anonymous

Lisa, some people just can't figure things out without help. Help like, grabbing them by both ears and screaming slowly, word by spitty word, into their nostrils.

People like those family and friends are like that old metal spring toy, the Slinkey. They're both fun to watch fall down stairs.

Ba-dump-dump!! I'm here all week folks . . .
Anonymous

Oh Alan,
How I LOVE and RELATE to your humor! LOL

Big Grin

Thanks so much for being YOU!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Christopher_ Robin

Thanks, Alan. I guess sometimes it is tough to be gracious in the face of all that well-meaning-ness, isn't it?

But I believe it does take some exploration. NOT because I'm one of those "PC People", but just because there needs to be "awareness".

It hearkens back to the day when we used to say, "Deaf and Dumb".

YIKES!!!!

Can you just IMAGINE someone using that terminology THESE days?????

Same with what is going on with us: No matter what happens, the DIGNITY should never be allowed to be lost.

Alan and ALL my new friends: Y'all can say it more eloquently than I EVER could.....

Bill
Anonymous

Seems like every library book I want I have to reserve & wait a few weeks. It's a real treat when I get the email notice, because I never remember what the book could be.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Iris L.

ROFLOL!!!

Iris L.