RSS Feed Print
Our Posts Are on the Web(2)
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:32 AM

Originally posted by: Saribet

Did you know that our posts can appear on the Web without our approval?

My sister and I were researching geri-chairs for Mom and both of us saw MY post and Jim Broede's reply among the medical supply companies.

Is this a glitch? Are our posts supposed to be available for the general public to read?
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:32 AM
Originally posted by: Online Community Administrators

Dear Saribet,

I am a very sorry for any anxiety you may have recently come upon as you discovered this. However, it is not a flaw. Search engine spiders are mini programs that find and record all content on webpages, they then add the content, like this post for example, to the Google and other search engine databases and make it available when people search on Google, Yahoo, etc. When a post is added to the message board, the text of the post is crawled by the spider and added to the Search engine index. Depending on the search words used in the search engines, and what has been written in this community, it may be a part of the search results.

The message board is available for viewing by anyone, however only registered members can post and participate in the chat rooms. There is a browse function that many people affected by Alzheimer’s disease use daily. You can browse without being a member. Often newer members browse before they become registered members. Search engines are often a method persons affected by dementia in need find us. They may search, for example, “adjustment to a dementia care unit” and in their search results they may be linked to this community. After reading that particular thread, they may go on to discover the benefits and support of this community and become a regular member.

We will work on making this clearer to other members of the community as it is important to understand. It is also important that you all feel safe here and able to receive and give any support you may need. Please review the Guidelines section regarding sharing personal information; we strongly encourage all members to keep in mind this protective measure.

If there is any particular posts or content that you would like edited now, based on this information you recently learned, we would be happy to help accommodate you any way we can. Please email us directly with any requests. If there is anything further we can do to help you please email us at onlinecommunity@alz.org.

Sincerely,
Community Administrators