RSS Feed Print
what's next?
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:40 PM
Originally posted by: SnowyLynne

I have the same problem but I do ALOT of MAHJONG.Love it & am good at it now.......
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: lorene

i am stage 4 i have changes all the time some terrifying right now i am at the point where i cant form a new thought' extreme stress leads to mass confusion and i call it "meltdown" my short term memory is nonexistent and i wonder what's next anyone having the same stuff? i also was an avid reader the joy was unbelievable now i still read for my brain but do not remember a thing once i put the book down i feel something very precious has been taken out of my life reading used to take me to such wonderful places now i just go through the motions to give my brain an exercise. but on the flip side i do still read! got to keep some positive in there
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Margi J

i love mahjong but am getting slower
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Margi J

keep reading! can you do games on the computer? i found i can do some and i can still crochet. check with someone for ideas. if you can concentrate on what you can do not on what you can't do. i don't read as much as i did. but my advantage is i don't have to buy new books cause i don't remember that i have read the ones i have! i did get some mind books that i take but got depressed i couldn't do them
Anonymous
Originally posted by: John891

The important thing is to keep your mind entertained.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Lisa 428

Lorene,

Keep reading and reading! I can't read any longer because it takes me too long to process the words on the page. By the time I get to the bottom of the page I have forgotten the top.

I've always been an avid reader and miss it dearly!

I used to get books on tape from the library but I can't follow those anymore either.

Hang in there. Please, continue to keep your brain active.

Good Luck. Let us know how you are doing.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: younghope1

Lorene, I understand completely what you are talking about. I am between stage 4 & 5 right now depending on the day and the circumstances. I will echo what the others have already said, Keeping your brain active is very important! Even if you can't do it today, there is always tomorrow. I no longer read books as I can no longer retain the information that I read, that is why I come to these forums and read small posts as I can still retain most of it and respond as well.

Tracy
Anonymous
Originally posted by: bowl-coach

I gave up reading books several years ago, just stressed me out, wasn't worth it, couldn't follow the story. I try to remember to play my Nintendo Ds Brain age game daily & also Suduko puzzles that I'm so addicted to. I stick to reading magazines or chicken soup type books with short stories in them.
Anonymous

marji you actually got me laughing so thanks! the library told me the same thing about reading. i ran out of new books to read and they joked about being able to read some older books since i couldn't remember anyway so thanks for reminding me! i can't do computer games because of my eyes i get dizzy and my vision blurs just another thing i deal with! thanks to everybody for your input its greatly appreciated we all just have to hang in and we can thanks to each other
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Deirdre44

I'm usually on the caregiver forum, but stumbled into here Smiler

I haven't read for enjoyment in a while, I've been reading so much for my mom...(info on AD)

Some AD meds have helped with her short term memory, plus I give her resveratrol and other supplements several times a day. I do think they help her.

She was always an avid reader. I am not even sure if she remembers that. She loves to read short magazine articles and things like that.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Ttom

quote:
Originally posted by lorene:
i am stage 4 i have changes all the time some terrifying right now... i also was an avid reader the joy was unbelievable now ...but do not remember a thing once i put the book down i feel something very precious has been taken out of my life

Hi lorene Sorry to read about your problems but glad that you found us. My name is Tom and I have EOAD. Was diagnosed in 2008 after 2 1/2 years of testing and am 61 now. I'm also in about stage 4 but was diagnosed at a firm stage 5. What is needed is the early detection that we have been lucky enough to find and a good drug theropy.
"Where is it heading" and the answer to that is blowen in the wind. Everybody is different! As you can see, I feel that I've actually improved since my dignosis. Science tells us that isn't possible but maybe it is the meds like Seroquel I'm on that make things seem clearer. We just need to do the best we can!
Anonymous

how have ya been lorene
Anonymous

tom hi!!! been ok no new bad stuff today so guess its a good day! stopped reading for now, too frustrating right now. play alot of solitaire though i rarely win i'm obsessed with the cards at this point!!!!! hey. whatever works right? later tom!!!
Anonymous

Tracy-
I really feel sad that you are so (not pity sad, just sad) I thought being diagnosed at 57 was young but I'm seeing a lot of way younger people with EAOD. I was encouraged to keep active and I try by playing solitaire even though I always lose! I do still try to read even though I can't remember after I've read but I still try to hold on to the joy I felt when I read through the years. Although I haven't read in a couple of weeks. I don't have a computer so I can only respond when I go to my daughters or to the library, but I do enjoy reading the posts and meeting new people.

Keep the faith, and know that there are people that understand and care. Thanks for responding, Lorene
Anonymous

good to hear from you lorene