RSS Feed Print
MRI Scheduled
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:41 PM
Originally posted by: SnowyLynne

The more you know,the more you can help yourself......
Internal Administrator

Originally posted by: Rocketscientist

Hi! I am new to this site but not new to AD and related disorders. I was diagnosed with dementia about two and a half years ago after extensive testing which did not include an MRI. I guess my doctor at the time thought it was not necessary given the other test results. My new neurologist would like to also run an MRI of the brain.

I know what this test can determine and my question is, "Do I really want to know"? I believe that this is a two-edged sword. What do you think?
Anonymous
Originally posted by: JAB

Hi, Gary. Did your "old" doctor have a CT scan done? That would have shown pretty much anything that an MRI would show. Your new neuro may simply want to see how much change there's been, if any.

I'd say yes, you definitely want to know as much as you can about what is causing your symptoms. It might affect the choice of the best treatments for you.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Mimi S.

Hi Rocket Scientist,
Another welcome to our Forum. I'm another ADer, diagnosed over four years ago and still more or less where I was when dx'd. Thanks to an early diagnosis and a lot of hard work (Best Practices) and who knows what else.
I feel that the more I know about myself and my brain, the better.
And you have good insurance, so you won't be out of [pocket. Go for it.

Do tell us more about yourself.
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Ttom

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketscientist:
Hi! I am new to this site but not new to AD and related disorders. I was diagnosed with dementia about two and a half years ago after extensive testing which did not include an MRI.

Hi Gary and welcome! My name is Tom and I’m sorry to hear about your problems. This site is designed for people like you and I!

An early and accurate diagnosis of the cause of dementia is important for the following reasons:
 To rule out Alzheimer's disease and ease the patient's and family's concern.
 To identify any treatable condition and initiate treatment as appropriate. Vitamin B12 might cure the symptoms if your lucky.
 To identify the Dementia at the earliest possible stage; this gives the patient and family time to plan for the future needs and care of the patient. This also allows the patient to start using some medicines that are only useful in the earlier stages of Alzheimer's (a type of dementia).

Go for the MRI and welocome another teating!

Three important things to remember. #1) It is very important to keep a positive attitude, there is always hope and #2) you are not alone and #3) re-read #1

My story,
I’m not a professional in this area. I’m a person with AD that serves as a volunteer on the message board. In June of 2008 (age 5 I was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s related dementia. Maybe is Stage 5 but now in mid stage 4 due to the marvelous drug therapy. Yes, I’m very lucky and I wish the best for everybody also! I keep a journal to serve as my instant memory now.

I began visiting this message board in August 2008 and the people have become important to me. I’m sure that you will find a number of supporters here for you.

I will attach a link to a site that will lead you to your local Alzheimer’s Association
Chapter. Those people will be able to assist you with local resources and thoughts to improve your life:
http://www.alz.org/apps/findus.asp

Please call the 24/7 Helpline at
1-800-272-3900 if you have any pressing issues!

Discripion of Stages
http://www.alzinfo.org/clinica...zheimers-disease.asp

SSDI
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/...022000!opendocumentI
http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/
http://www.ssa.gov/
http://www.alzfdn.org/Medicare/allowance.html
Anonymous
Originally posted by: bowl-coach

Hi Rocketscientist, For me the test that determined my diagnosis was the pet scan. I was told that my pet scan resembles an Alz. patient. I think that I did have an MRI, but don't think that it showed anything abnormal. Take care.
Anonymous

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and information.

Yes, I have had a CT along with an EEG and several other tests. I take Aricept and Namedna like most people here do. I have another EEG tomorrow morning. One of the things is the doctor has limited access to what was done back east. We moved back to Texas a few months ago, so this a new doctor in a new town.

Tom - I found your bio quite interesting. Thanks for the links and the other information. I guess I am a lot more fortunate than many other people. I have LTD benefits which pay a lot more than SSDI alone.
Anonymous

Plasma physics isn't for everyone but I loved doing things that had never been done before. But, you have to be ready for the 80+hr/7day weeks. You have to really love science or you get out fast.

Today, much like you, I do volunteer work. I usually work at National Parks with my wife as campground hosts and the like.
Anonymous

Hi Rocket Scientist,
It sounds as though, unlike many Early Onseters you were diagnosed fairly quickly and they treated you fairly. That's great.

So, were you actually a rocket scientist? Did you enjoy it?

What do you do now?
Anonymous

Gary, Your current life sounds great. Unfortunately in our country, it seems that too many high level positions require the hours you put in. And even vacations: the beeper is always there.

Do you choose a different area of the country? Sounds fascinating!

Have you ever tried contacting a local Aliz. Chapter?
Anonymous

Hi Mimi,
I found this site really by accident. I was looking for a Memory Walk near me and the search engine directed me to the alz.org site. I saw the message board link and followed it here. I have used message boards since there have been message boards and used to be an online host for Excite.

I was in the same profession as Tom, engineering, but I was a EE (electrical engineering). I guess my story is much the same as most except for possibly the ending. Poor performance evaluations which resulted the all to familar, improve or be terminated. At this point I got the medical department involved to protect my rights under ADA. The company doctor worked through my PCP to finally determine the cause of my declining performance. My career ended in less than 5 minutes when medical called me in and placed me on medical leave. At the end of my 6 months of medical leave, I was placed on disability and here I am!
Anonymous
Originally posted by: Steve_SanJose

Do you want to know if you hav e AD. I would say it depends on you. I am more at ease if I find as much as I can on any medical problem I have. The more imnformation I have the better I feal and the more at ease I am with my EOAD. As with any new medical problem you need time to ajust. Talk to the free counslers the ALZ ASSN toll free number or you local chapter. Joining a peer group helps also.
Anonymous

Hi Gary,
quote:
Bryce Canyon for the Astronomy Festival
One of my kids would have loved to have been there, but they only got away for 4 days this year due to kids schedules.
No experience with Early Stage Groups, just jealousy. There is a long standing group in the Pittsburg area. Caregivers and afflicted meet as a group and then separate to meet individually.

We have tried unsuccessfully in NE PA to get a group. No luck and this is over a several county area. And the sad thing is that of the three of us interested, two are now beyond having a meaningful discussion. Mad

And that is most likely the point of the interview: to make sure you can participate.

And you'll pass that with flying colors.

There is such a need for us in Early Stage to meet face to face with others. Let us know what happens.
Anonymous

Funny you should ask Mimi. I have an interview at the chapter here the first week on January. Presently, I am trying to get into this early stages support group and the leader interviews everyone for suitability.

Do you have any knowledge or experience with these types of groups that the association sponsors?

And oh yes, we traveled about 4500 miles this summer in our RV. We were several places from Bryce Canyon for the Astronomy Festival to the Smokies.