RSS Feed Print
Gimme 2 mg OCD STAT
Victoria2020
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 9:54 PM

So much heartache comes from the hygiene issue, has there been any work reverse engineering OCD to give PWD a nice dollop of "time to shower-- want clean clothes after" OCD ? Mean no disrespect to OCD sufferers but a bit of a clean obsession would be so sweet.

More Felix, less Oscar.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 9:23 AM

The hard part here is figuring out which part of this behavior if any is fear based.  Spending lots of money to install safety bars (if you don't have them) may or may not make any difference.  Fear of water may be a problem or fear of water tempearture is possible as well.  

https://www.homecareassistancerichardson.com/dementia-and-fear-of-water/#:~:text=Seniors%20with%20dementia%20may%20develop,resistant%20to%20baths%20and%20showers.

Some of this may have been coincidental but I was able to get my mother to take a shower almost every day by having saftey bars installed, by having her feel the water before getting into the shower, and by using direct inhalation aromatherapy in the morning.  The aromatherapy greatly reduced her delusions and made her feel more comfortable in her surroundings.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 1:53 PM

I don't think the issue is OCD or fear.  I think the issue is not knowing what to do.  Not remembering the sequence of steps.  Not being able to initiate steps.  Not being able to multitask.  Also general apathy.  

Iris