RSS Feed Print
Exciting new treatment - ? cure - best news in 25 yrs of AD research
RobertC7
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:40 AM

This study is very exciting. A monoclonal antibody (aducanumab) has been shown to remove amyloid plaques from the brain of AD patients. This is the first hint of a cure? 

Read more here: http://www.emedmd.com/content/potential-new-treatment-alzheimer%E2%80%99s-disease

What do you think?

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2016 9:13 AM

Thanks for posting RobertC.  I am not optimistic about this one.  

Biogen also published some “exploratory results” from the early study which it said showed dose- and time-dependent slowing of clinical decline as measured by the Mini Mental State Examination (MMSE) and the Clinical Dementia Rating scale Sum of Boxes (CDR-SB).

The trial was not however designed to assess whether aducanumab could slow down a patient’s rate of cognitive decline.

Brain scan images showed patients who were given the highest dose of the medicine--10 mg for every kilogram of body weight--were essentially free of amyloid plaques after 12 months of treatment. Although with the higher dose came higher AEs, notably amyloid-related imaging abnormalities (Aria), which can cause serious swelling in the brain.

In the dropout group, Biogen carried the last observations forward, which means that whenever someone dropped out of the trial--say at six months--that was the data reported at the end of the trial--say one year.  This gives a false impression that cognitive decline in slowing down.

What I expect to see is that even if you remove all or nearly all of the amyloid plaques the disease continues to progress, as amyloid plaques are not likely the cause of Alzheimer's disease.

Serenoa
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2016 5:28 PM

It is interesting that they seem to have found a way to target the plaques with some success. The plaques can cause damage in the brain, but from what I've seen they aren't the cause of the disease. So, not a cure. But if it slows the disease, then it is better than the current medications available, as long as the side affects are manageable.