RSS Feed Print
More evidence of the link between gut microbiome and Alzheimer's
HoprItHelps
Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2021 7:29 AM

Here is more research and evidence of the link between the gut microbiome and Alzheimer's:

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/scientists-identify-gut-bacteria-linked-to-neurodegenerative-conditions/

Which ties in with the improvement I saw in my Mum's Alzheimer's after her gut microbiome was changed:

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147554146

http://www.davron.co.uk/Alzheimers.html

The research is great and in time I am sure they will find a way to kill just the bad bacteria in the guts.  But, it misses the point, people are suffering NOW and we already have a way to kill all the gut bacteria and then seed good bacteria.

Frustrated in the UK!!

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2021 2:06 PM

I am sorry that I nissed your earlier post last year.  I enjoyed reading about you and your mother from your website.

An unbalance in gut bacteria is likely one of the many causes of Alzheimer's disease.  Activated microglia in the gut can also affect and damage the brain.

The following overstates this link, but is on the right track:

Gut Microbiota, Nitric Oxide, and Microglia as Prerequisites for Neurodegenerative Disorders

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28640632/

Antibiotics that damage good bacteria in the gut can harm the brain; whereas antibiotics that scavenge oxidants can have a slightly beneficial effect on cognitive function.  More impressive, probiotics can have a significant effect on cognition.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fbioe.2020.537847/full

Another route to Alzheimer's disease is through the nose (viruses, air pollutants, etc.).  Treating my mother with antioxidant essential oils via direct inhalation aromatherapy led to similar results that you observed in your mother: she could recognize objects again and was much more alert and aware of her surrounding and the people in them (although similarily she did best in the present; not much short-term memory or ability to organize thoughts in regards to past events).

Blessings in memory of your mother.  

HoprItHelps
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2021 8:08 AM

Thank you for your reply, and the links. The scientific way of writing often blows my mind, and the abstract looking at Nitric Oxide was definitely one of those.

I do have an issue with the use of Prebiotics and Probiotics, I don't think they can work without first weakening or killing the 'bad' bacteria that have colonised the gut.  There have been many studies involving changes in diet, which should lead to changes in gut microbiome, but non have shown improvements in symptoms of Alzheimer's.  As I put it in my Mum's story,if you attack an enemy that is dug in to defensive positions without first weakening or killing them, you are going to fail.  I have memories of films and stories where a small number of well prepared defenders defeat a huge army that is attacking them.

It is coming up for a year since Mum died and I really should let it go, but I still have a bee in my bonnet that there is a cure for Alzheimer's, but nobody will listen.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2021 11:20 AM

I have never quite thought about it that way, but that makes infinite sense:  you have to do away with the "bad" bacteria first.

It has been almost a decade since my mother died, and I am still trying to convince others that there are effective treatments for Alzheimer's disease.  I suppose as long as it does not consume us, it is a good way to honor ours mums.  

AConcernedSon
Posted: Friday, June 4, 2021 8:43 AM

Hi there,

I have a question for you--I'm not sure if you mentioned it one of your posts. But did your mom take any antibiotics BEFORE she developed dementia? Did she have any sudden weight loss or loss of appetite in the years before she showed signs of dementia? Just curious. 

HoprItHelps
Posted: Saturday, June 5, 2021 10:38 AM

Thanks for the curiosity, it makes me think, and that is mostly a good thing.   So the question behind your curiosity is, if you need to weaken/kill the microbiome to allow good bacteria to take back hold in the gut, what allowed bad bacteria to take over for my Mum.

Mum suffered from depression in the 1980s and made almost weekly visits to see a Doctor.  Just a quick note here, depression is also linked to gut microbiome, I can post web links, but a web search engine will do the job for you.  Sorry if I sound like a broken record.  So, back to Mum, in the 1980s Doctors tended to give out antibiotics like sweets/candy, so, yes, Mum had many antibiotics in those years.  Then in her middle years she had an operation that replaced her bladder with bowel, she then had to self catheterise, and she tended to get regular UTIs which were treated with antibiotics.   So Mum would have had many opportunities for bad bacteria to enter a weakened microbiome long before she showed any signs of Alzheimer's.  Another side thought, though maybe redundant, Alzheimer's shows growing evidence of a link with gut microbiome, depression show a link with gut microbiome, and the link that may be redundant is between Alzheimer's and depression.

On your question about whether Mum had any sudden weight loss or loss of appetite.  I really can't answer because I just don't remember.  My brain doesn't store stuff like that, I will ask my Brother and Sister, their brains don't work like mine, my Brother can remember stuff from when he was a very young kid.  I would worry that my poor historical memory was the start of Alzheimer's, but it has always worked like this for me.  The subject I failed at school was History .

Your question did bring up another thought related to another post I saw here titled 'Antibiotics'. My plan was to try to kill ALL bacteria in the gut and then build a new, good microbiome.  Maybe just weakening it might work, so perhaps people who are having to take antibiotics should see it as an opportunity rather than a risk.   Eat good food, plenty of yogurts and fermented foods.  My Brother swears by Pre and Pro Biotics, but it worries me, we don't know for certain what is good and what is bad and how the 'Biotics will react with our existing gut bacteria.  Everybody's gut micriobiome will be different, so a 'one size fits all' solution bothers me.