RSS Feed Print
This little guy
ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 11:57 PM

This little guy, I say, this little guy would like to say,

"Hello" to y'all. 

I found him in my back yard this late afternoon.  Isn't he just cute?

He is not even a foot in height.  He's a shorty but quite handsome.  I think he belongs to my next door neighbor and I was trying to get their attention before he gets eaten by a coyote.  But, they have locked gates around their house.  So, I hope he's ok and returned on his own.

If not, I was wondering if I should roast him tomorrow night!  Nah, poor little guy.  He's too cute, I say, he's the cutest neighbor I have around here. Anyway, have a nice night.

Inline image

ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 11:04 AM

Oops.  Here he is attached.
File Attachment(s):
This Little Guy.docx (199106 bytes)

Agent 99
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 11:52 AM

Ruth,

Your posts make me laugh, smirk & sometimes guffaw.  I don’t post much anymore but I read daily.  My sweetie died in 2016.  I’ve tried to go cold turkey with the group but may be I’d be better off going fried chicken!

The chickens must be crazy!  There was a free ranger in my neighborhood for about 2 weeks.  She/he hung out on the 4 grassy sides of the main intersection in/out of my development.

I asked my well informed chicken friend if it needed to be rescued.  She said the chicken is having the time of his/her life and doesn’t want to go back to some filthy coup with other chickens.  She said even if he gets taken out by a coyote, dog or vehicle, he/she at least enjoyed some freedom.

When I told my neighbors about the chicken they asked me if it was a rooster or hen.  Hello!  I grew up in NYC.  They are lucky I didn’t say it was a rat!!  Only one wanted to eat it!

File Attachment(s):
ED557830-514C-445C-831E-E47F2398FB20.jpeg (136193 bytes)

MissHer
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 11:57 AM

He is quite handsome. My mom's were just boring white.
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 12:09 PM

Oh Agent, I'm sorry to hear about your husband.  The rat comment is funny. Actually, I wasn't even sure if this little guy was a male or just an overly feathered gal.  But he sort of had an attitude and it looks like he put his chest out there some more, sort of showing off his manhood.

Thx for the picture of your free range little neighbor.  I guess I shouldn't worry about this little guy over here, because I'm sure he'll find more escape routes anyway.  :o)

Sunrise-Addict
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 1:30 AM

Hey, Ruth, When I read this at first there was no picture attached, and I seriously thought it would be a photo of a leprechaun. How adorable. And Agent99 what a great photo!

So around here it's very common for folks to have chickens, fresh eggs and all that, and the yolks are so much brighter from the hand fed chickens.

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 11:53 AM

He would interest my cat Marcello. But not for dinner. They would become pals. Marcello is no killer. Makes friends with everyone. Won't even kill a mouse. Turns the intruding culprit over to me. And I have no heart to kill anything. So I toss him out. Into the cold Minnesota winter. Where he has a chance to survive.  Probably indoors again. Hopefully, to a neighbor's house. --Jim
Sunrise-Addict
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2018 1:02 AM

Tossing a chicken out into the cold Minnesota winter sounds strangely cruel. Aren't chickens generally kept in warm coops?
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2018 1:29 AM

No. No. You misunderstood. I tossed out the mouse. That Marcello refused to kill. In the hope that the mouse would find another home. I don't know the fate of the mouse. It was up to him to find another home. At least he had a chance. Even in a Minnesota winter. By the way, Marcello is an indoor cat. When he does go out, he's closely supervised. He has yet to kill a mouse, or anything. As for the rooster, I'd find a way to save his life.  Meanwhile, I'm trying to become a vegetarian. But haven't quite reached my goal yet. If I had to slaughter my dinner, I'd probably be a full-fledged vegetarian now. I leave the dirty work/deed to others. Which doesn't speak well for me.  I have never killed an animal intentionally. I don't hunt. Of course, I hit a deer once. And a raccoon. A squirrel, too. Accidentally. Felt bad about it. I've seen people intentionally run over a snapping turtle. Yes, some people are cruel. They kill just for the sake of killing. I see youngsters killing birds. With b-b guns. For the fun of it. I wonder if there are civilizations on other planets in the cosmos, where everyone is a vegetarian. Where life is more sacred than it is here on Earth. It's nice to wonder about such things. I hope some day. To visit other planets. When I become a spirit. Free to travel into infinity. For now, I have to rely on my fertile imagination. -Jim
Sunrise-Addict
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2018 10:23 AM

That's okay, Jim. I kill chickens and then eat them. Sometimes they are chickens who have, up to that point, had names, lovely names like Cherub, Snazzy, and Bingo. Of course, after killing them, I first de-feather and then prep them by marinating the meat in soy sauce and a mix of fresh spices. Then I grill them. Mmmmm, so much better than supermarket chicken, though a little stringy by some standards.

I did miss that it was a mouse that you tossed out into the cold Minnesota winter.

Isn't there an expression that goes, "There is more than one way to skin a cat?"

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2018 10:51 AM

A couple of days ago I saw my neighbor walking his dog, and I mentioned to him about "the little guy". 

He said, "Oh, go ahead and eat em.  Just cut him up and eat em"  

I said, "NO!  He's too cute!"

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2018 11:23 AM

So. Being cute can save one's life?
ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2018 11:29 AM

Hahahahhaa!  That little guy has his way, don't he?  He may fool me, but it looks like my neighbor ain't buying it.  Anyway, if I was in Survivor, not eating any meat for several days...I would probably think he was delicious rather than cutesie.
BlossomsPack
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2018 12:47 PM

Ruth, Fair warning, this is how we have gotten most of our so-called pets, our kids found them.