RSS Feed Print
frustration getting info
RDBoyd728
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2021 10:19 AM

Hello, new member here. I don''t know if it''s due to the pandemic, but we have had the worst time trying to get answers regarding dementia and our Mom. Two months ago her PCP referred us to a neurologist...the appt is in JUNE!! I feel that is unacceptable. We found out in Aug 2020 that she had been on dementia med for a year; she never told us. To this day, she still does not have an actual diagnosis. And she just spent 2 weeks in a geriatric psych facility!! We are so frustrated.
Army_Vet60
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2021 12:54 PM

You need to post your question on the Caregivers Forum, not Musings. Not many caregivers read or post on Musings.

There are a lot of caregivers for parents on that forum.

Good luck.

John_inFlorida
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2021 9:05 AM

In my experience the neurologist was not helpful at all. They tested my DW and  just said it was normal for her age. I knew something was off though, and as it turned out when she was getting her mammogram that doctor must have seen something and recommended that we go the Byrd Institute. That was a place specializing in Alz. Those people were great and diagnosed her properly using MRI results as well as some other tests.  I dont know where you live but I'm sure the people at the ALZ association could recommend something in your area
ycvonnie
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2021 4:00 PM

New member.  My husband has dementia due to lack of oxygen to the brain.  His ammonia levels due to cirrhosis are elevated so sometimes he hallucinates and it is hard to understand what he is talking about.  He remembers things that happened in the past and talks as if the experiences were with me.  It was not me, but, quite possibly his ex wife.  Some stories appear to be complete fabrications. 

His sense of taste is varied from day to day.  This makes cooking a nightmare.  Nothing I cook tastes right to him and he will say everything tastes the same or is non-descript.  

He uses the wrong words all the time like covert for COVID.  He calls Joe Biden.  Joe Bowden.  

He no longer wants me to go to the doctors with him.  He says I do not need to be there.  He is still driving in spite of a warning from me to the doctor who cautioned him that he could lose his license.  He totaled my car, but, the accident was by himself late at night and he drove the car home.  His has a delayed response while driving and in responding to questions or conversations. 

He is very angry specifically at me.   I find it hard to go to church and leave him for any period of time,  He insist On  working 3 days a week.  I have explained the situation to his employer so they are aware.  They are comfortable with him continuing to work.   

I feel like a prisoner in my own home.  He doesn’t want visitors or my friends to come by.  It is like we live with a big secret.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2021 12:06 AM

Welome Ycvonnie.  Please post in the Spouse/Partner board.  More members will see your post and you will get many responses, because you are addressing common concerns.  Click on "Add Topic" on the main Spouse/Partner board. 

Iris L.