RSS Feed Print
I lost my father to an incredibly long battle with Alzheimer's.
DarrenKeith
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2022 10:08 AM

I lost my father after an incredibly long battle with Alzheimer's about 15 months ago.

I wrote an essay about the experience, which was just published.

Here is a quote from Greg O'Brien, author of On Pluto: Inside the Mind of Alzheimer's

"Excellent piece, Darren. Excellent! Hoping as many people as possible will read your words. You have great insight, a gift the world needs to hear."

I hope you will read the essay and would be eternally grateful if you can share it in any capacity possible, so it can help the countless people out there affected by this horrific disease. 

Thank you and all the best,

Darren Keith

SusanB-dil
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2022 8:55 AM

Hi Darren - thank you for joining us 'here'...

Thank you for sharing your essay.  Some of us pick up when something is 'off' rather early-on, and yes, others are more surprised - maybe because in some cases - it is a slower progression than others.

and yes, a big concern - it scares me a lot when some folks allow a PWD continue to drive.

Sorry for the loss of your dad - and in such a cruel way.

KK5750
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2022 10:51 AM

I have never posted anything anywhere until now.  Your essay moved me.  Thank you for your honesty and willingness to be so open about your love for your father.  My mother has recently been diagnosed and like you, I am realizing the signs have been there for many years.  Mom has shown an aggressive side I never dreamed was possible.  Delusions make her scary and yet amaze me how she believes what she says to us.  We still have a long journey ahead but I do know this is not the mother who raised me.  This is a stranger that has come into her body and mind.  I wish this stranger would leave us alone...yet I fear the day she is truly gone forever.  This is a horrible way to live/die.  The fear of my future and the future of my siblings sometimes is overwhelming.  I am mad my parents did not prepare themselves and us for this possibility.  We have recently learned we carry the gene from both sides of the family.  I am determined to be prepared and to prepare my children for the time that may come when we are faced with this same situation.  Again, thank you so much.