RSS Feed Print
DNA not good
mdorgan
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2022 3:47 PM

I had my DNA done by 23 and me about 4 years passed.For me it was another worry to add to my brain. I did not realize they would test for the Alzheimer genes.  I came up with a thirty percent chance of getting Alzheimers disease and I  have the APOE4  gene(it may not  be called a gene). No close family members  HAD ALZ. I now wish I never had my DNA tested. Does Anybody else who took A DNA test regret getting a postive

DNA test for Alzhimer? I know a positive ALZ test does not mean I will get ALZ. BUT EVERY TIME I HAVE A (SENIOR MOMENT) I  THINK - (this may be the beginning of ALZ).I HAVE  been proactive and found a great therapist who checks my memory often. He said recently, I have no memory problems, which was great news for me. I'm thrilled to have found this site. Now I have people I can relate to and understand the dreaded DNA results I received. I hope I can help others also with my stories and comments.

abc123
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2022 1:46 PM

Dear md, I have not had any testing done yet but I do understand your concern. You mentioned that no one in your family has had Alz and that's good. If I were you I would speak to my medical doctor about this particular test you had done. I am concerned about myself because my mother, her mother and her mother's dad all had ALZ. The problems I am having could be from Alz or could possibly be from the enormous amount of stress and unhappiness in my life for the past couple of years from dealing with my elderly parents and my siblings. I don't know if I would trust the results of a mail order test. I wish you the best. Please keep posting! You can post on the caregivers page! There are many caring people here, we try our best to support each other.
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, April 9, 2022 11:08 AM

I was not interested in the "health" results but the tests helped me to findmy father. Well worth the spit,
klevywriter
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2022 7:29 AM

Sitting here on a misty Saturday morning reflecting on the past 20 years which included caring for my mother as she declined in Alzheimer's, half-expecting to get a diagnosis of Alzheimer's at age 75 as she did, hoping that it's not my destiny. A funny way to start the morning! I'm glad to have a few connections via this message board with people who wonder the same thing.
Beenhereb4
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2022 8:06 AM

I have been wondering about getting tested for the gene of the disease as well. My mom, aunt and grandmother all had the disease. Praying I don’t get it.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 12:01 AM

As part of my diagnostic process I had genetic testing and I am APOe4 positive.  At the time, the result page wanted to state that the results confirmed a diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease.  But I don’t have AD!  Later testing by an Amyvid PET scan determined that I did not have AD at that time.  Having the gene increases one's chances of developing AD, but it is not determinative.  My suggestion is to work on Best Practices to attempt to counteract the genetic risk. 

Iris

ZackFootInMouth
Posted: Friday, August 5, 2022 2:33 PM

I'm going to need to reapply for insurance, but once I do, how to I broach to my general care provider to take an APOE4 exam?

It's going to be another worry but I accept that.

quartlow2
Posted: Monday, August 8, 2022 1:31 PM

ZackFootInMouth wrote:

I'm going to need to reapply for insurance, but once I do, how to I broach to my general care provider to take an APOE4 exam?

It's going to be another worry but I accept that.

Whoa! I'm not sure what an APOE4 exam is but it made me think of the DNA results and impact on insurance. That's another good reason, for me, NOT to get a DNA test for health risks.