RSS Feed Print
Awareness Raising
J_Akoury
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 5:04 AM

Greetings Everyone!

This is my first post on here, forgive me if it's not the correct discussion board!

I'm very happy to have joined the community and wish I've done so earlier!

First, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jihad. I'm a second year Visual Effects student at Norwich University of the Arts (UK). My name is a little controversial I know. I promise it's not a scam of any sort.

I'm here to share with you a little video I made as part of a university project in the hope of helping with raising consciousness on Alzheimer’s.

Our major project this year consisted of creating a Mind Palace and encode a memory, mental activity or disease in that space.

Coming from a Science background and having studied about Alzheimer's in my last few years at school, I chose to create a Mind Palace that would hopefully give people a glimpse of Alzheimer's stages and AD patients struggle.

I understand the difficulties AD patients and their carers go through and wanted more people to be aware of that, and hopefully get involved.

In short, the video shows how a familiar, lovely, cosy place gradually becomes strange and uncomfortable as Alzheimer's takes over. It abstractly represents major symptoms such as misplacement, misbehaviour, hallucinations, prosopagnosia and special/temporal disorientation. It also features much respected artist Sir William Utermohlen who suffered from Alzheimer's and kept fighting till the end.

And because I don't want the video to be merely a university project, I thought I would share it with you so that more people can see it. And maybe you would like to share it with your friends and families.

Here's the link:

https://vimeo.com/257287650

I hope you enjoy it!
Best Wishes 

Sunrise-Addict
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 11:12 AM

J_Akoury, I'm going to give you some honest feedback. I'm in the process of being diagnosed because of some concerns I have. One of the tests a lot of people have to take is to draw a clock. Somehow an analog clock is central to diagnosis. I noticed that the grandfather clock was central in your video. Positive feedback I would like to give it: that the video is very well made. The clock being central, and the movement of the clock, with Roman numerals, no less, a clock that looked like one that was in my grandfather's house, was kind of unusual to me. But the shadowy figures, the room shifting to a mess and then a completely empty room, all those were interesting and kind of felt right. I'm glad you posted this film and I do hope you make more films. Raising awareness and your close contact with persons who actually are experiencing these events is so crucial.
Sunrise-Addict
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 11:14 AM

J_Akoury, I also noticed you have a duplicate post on here with the same vimeo. If you delete the other post, you will probably get more views and maybe some more comments on your production.

Some people are hesitant to click on links because of spams and other hazards. So, just letting you know that too.

ThisLittlePiggie
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 1:09 PM

Hi, I have watched this and I wonder if this is what it is like for my mom when she sees people that are not there. I have written a little about it. I hope you can read it.
DavidsSon
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 1:49 PM

I wonder if it looks like this for my dad. Maybe that's why he feels he has to put things right. They don't look right to him.
J_Akoury
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 2:51 PM

Sunrise-Addict First of all, I hope everything will be alright, stay Positive!

Thank you for your honest feedback and for your time watching the video!

It's worth mentioning that a lot of what's in there is personal interpretation of what I read and think Azlheimer's is.

And thank you for pointing out to the double post. It was a mistake!

J_Akoury
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 2:55 PM

ThisLittlePiggie 

Thank you for spending time watching the video.

I'm sorry to hear your mum and partner have got dementia. I hope you stay strong as you support them, and that they stay strong while fighting this plight

I'll give your posts a read for sure!

J_Akoury
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 2:59 PM

DavidsSon

Thank you for watching the video.

I'm very sorry for your Dad. I read your profile and it made me feel sad but also happy! Your Dad is very lucky to have a son like you caring for him. I know many people who don't care at all about their parents. 

Stay strong and good luck!

TiggerPooh
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 4:34 PM

Hi, J_Akoury, I think it’s very cool you and your team are filming to raise awareness. I would like to see more of your work when you produce it. I think you will provoke good thinking through this venue.
ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 4:48 PM

J_Akoury, this gave me a very anxious feeling.  It is terrifying.  It is like someone trying to make sense of their surroundings-being in the dark-and not understanding what just happened. 

You did a good job with your video.  Have you posted this in the Caregiver's Forum?  This is a good video to share with many of us who don't understand, but we can compare from what we observe of our loved ones.

Alexander_Green
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 3:18 AM

There are some parts of this film that are very similar to my experience of having bvFTD type dementia. Sometimes there is a strangeness to what is happening, just like in your film, an eerie shift in time and a sense of things having moved to the wrong spots and a trying to set things right. I wish you would keep making films and share them. I think it would be a good film to try for feedback in other places as well, in order to get a larger audience. But hopefully you will get lots of comments here.
J_Akoury
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 6:57 AM

TiggerPooh wrote:
Hi, J_Akoury, I think it’s very cool you and your team are filming to raise awareness. I would like to see more of your work when you produce it. I think you will provoke good thinking through this venue.

Hello TiggerPooh, thank you for tour comment, very encouraging really.

I've always worked and will always work for good causes such as awareness raising!

J_Akoury
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 7:00 AM

ruthmendez wrote:

J_Akoury, this gave me a very anxious feeling.  It is terrifying.  It is like someone trying to make sense of their surroundings-being in the dark-and not understanding what just happened. 

You did a good job with your video.  Have you posted this in the Caregiver's Forum?  This is a good video to share with many of us who don't understand, but we can compare from what we observe of our loved ones.

I'm happy to see that people are getting the intended message! 

I'll be sharing the video with more people very soon!

Thank you for your feedback and time!

J_Akoury
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 7:08 AM

Alexander_Green wrote:
There are some parts of this film that are very similar to my experience of having bvFTD type dementia. Sometimes there is a strangeness to what is happening, just like in your film, an eerie shift in time and a sense of things having moved to the wrong spots and a trying to set things right. I wish you would keep making films and share them. I think it would be a good film to try for feedback in other places as well, in order to get a larger audience. But hopefully you will get lots of comments here.

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I'm happy to read that you were able to relate to the short video because this means people would truly understand what people like yourself endure.

I feel you! Stay strong!