RSS Feed Print
Abbreviations
chrisp1653
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2021 4:31 PM

Am I the only one ?

When my Barbara was diagnosed with dementia in late 2016, I was flat out hammered. The hospital social worker gave me a bunch of pamphlets and sent us on our way leaving me in a somewhat dumb struck mindset. I started by looking at the brochures and seeing what I could find out. Good news ! There are support groups ! Ahhh… bad news. The ones that looked encouraging to me were being held either in downtown Portland ( which I have stayed away from for the past 30 years or so, ) or Tillamook. Tillamook ?? That’s like a 90 mile drive, one way.

Thankfully, I also discovered this site. I was eager to learn from these people who had been where I was – where we were. I dove right in, and promptly discovered that there was a kind of code. I saw DW and LO, and PWD. What did all these things mean ? Finally I found the secret chart – all 4 pages of it.

Now, I admit, it makes sense to abbreviate some things. To have to write out National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys would be a headache, especially if it was necessary to type it out more than once. The same could be said of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube. For mouthfuls like these, the abbreviations NAELA and PEG Tube are much more reasonable.

But Barbara was a living, breathing person. I was in no way going to dehumanize her with an abbreviation. She was not my LO, or my DW. She was my wife. And so, I tried always to call her by her name, whenever I wrote about her in these venues.

Even after passing from this life , she was, and still is, my Barbara.

Chris

ladyzetta
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2021 9:12 PM

Chrisp,

Your wife Barbara is lovely and she has a beautiful smile. Hugs Zetta 

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2021 9:43 AM

Chrisp...I never thought about it but I, like you, usually spell things out. Abbreviations? Why not just H or W or O......
ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, May 6, 2021 10:24 PM

You are not the only one! Actually, I don’t like them because most of the time after I see a text or email with abbreviations it takes more time for me to look it up....I don’t like using my time looking up stuff. Sometimes, I just guess the meaning or skip it over.  The first time I saw LOL I was confused....

But, I do have one I like and use often: WTF

It’s the best and I can use that abbreviation when I’m mad or happy!! 

And everyone knows it. WTF.  Has many meanings to it.

ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, May 6, 2021 10:26 PM

WTF.

Abbreviations should shorten time....not delay it Ruth!

dutiful deb
Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2021 4:46 PM

Chris,

I hear you about the support groups. In my small area, there was one that met locally, but many of the members knew my mom. She was unable to comprehend that she had dementia, and it was a sure thing that word would get out that I was attending a dementia support group and talking about her.  One thing about small towns, is that everyone knows everyone else, and if they don't know you, they still know your business, no matter how private you try to keep it. Besides, the group met a time while I was working, and getting time off to attend wasn't possible. I called about some that met in Portland, but they were specific to certain parts of the population, although I was assured I'd be welcome to attend anyway. And again, my work schedule didn't mesh with the meeting times. So, here I landed and here I've been, off and on. 

Tillamook?  A little far for  a meeting, although they do have the best ice cream, in my opinion.

I have used abbreviations to save space, but am not a fan of them. I can deal with terms like IDK (I don't know) and LOL (Laughing out loud), but I draw the line when people say those to me during a verbal conversation. Yes, when someone doesn't know something and instead of saying, "I don't know,' there are people who say, "IDK". I've had entire conversations with people where they say abbreviations instead of the whole word. . Then there are the people I know were raised to speak clearly and politely (like my own child), texting things like, "I can't afford that right now, I'm broke AF."  I didn't want to ask what "AF" meant, so I googled it.  Some things are better left unknown to me. Why not just say, "I'm broke" or "I cant afford it". 

In another case, a relative was upset because her toddler went to a visit with the daddy and came home singing WAP. I asked her what that meant and she wouldn't tell me.  She just said it was vulgar, not appropriate for a child,  and I was better off not knowing. I asked someone else and they had the same response, as well as an expression of horror that a person would teach it to a toddler. I decided that was also better left unknown, but then I saw a news release about the song (if it can be called that), and understood. Sometimes abbreviations are better than the actual phrase, I guess.   As for using abbreviations on a site like this, I think they have a place and make things more brief and convenient, but it's okay to not use them, as well, if one doesn't want to.  I often say LO because now that my mom is gone, I have another person with a dementia-affected future, and I can't bring myself to reveal much for the sake of privacy, and because saying who it is makes it sound too real    But I agree with your sentiments. 

One I do understand and love is BOGO. I can't pass up a good Buy One, Get One sale, unfortunately. 

Your Barbara is a beautiful woman and was blessed to have you.  

chrisp1653
Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2021 10:31 PM

I always love reading your posts, DD ( forgive me, but it just seemed apropos, inasmuch as the topic was abbreviations, ) but I might want to disagree about the ice cream. Over my many years here in Oregon, I have had a lot of ice cream from the Tillamook Creamery, and I will admit that the ice cream from them is spectacular.  But then I discovered BJ's in Florence, and my junk food heart has moved to there.

Of course, to be fair, it's been a while since I was able to go to Tillamook, so it might be that my allegiance would change again if and when I am able to have some of theirs again.

Maybe we should take a poll and see what the others here think.

For what it's worth, I think Barbara would have voted for Tillamook also.

ladyzetta
Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2021 10:56 PM

Hi Chrisp & DD.

I am a Oregonian so I vote for Tillamook Ice Cream. I have been to Florence many times but I have never tried BJs Ice Cream. The next time I am there I will try it. My favorite place on the Oregon Coast is Winchester Bay. 

Take Care all of you. Hugs Zetta 

chrisp1653
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2021 11:08 AM

Zetta, you are one lucky person !

Right down there on the docks at Winchester Bay - across the parking lot from Bedrocks - is a BJ's , where ( subject to the vagaries of Covid , ) you can try the best ice cream on the Oregon coast.

Well, ok, the best ice cream on the southern Oregon coast.

dutiful deb
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2021 1:17 PM

I like BJ's ice cream, too. The only locations I was aware of were the two in Florence; one on the main road through town and the other in the old town district. I will have to look for other locations as we travel down the coast, which we do frequently.  This summer we have plans to visit Gold Beach and the surrounding area.  The creamery in Bandon is also a great place to visit (I think it's called the Face Rock creamery). They also have good cheese and ice cream. We used to visit the Tillamook Cheese factory quite a bit, but it's not as fun since the remodel. Still nice, but just not the same. And still my favorite ice cream