RSS Feed Print
Sometimes it feels like I’m in a Twilight Zone episode
Adam1216
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2022 3:47 PM

Hi. First time posting.

My (also brain damaged) wife and I are caregivers to my 91 year old mother.

I love the honor of doing this.

As everyone knows, it’s so darn hard.

My room is opposite hers in our house. She was in the memory unit of an (incredibly expensive) assisted living facility. Short story brought her home for the rest of her time left.

It’s been, to be honest, many things. Amusing, tear jerking, and occasionally, a little bit odd. 

Example- about 2 weeks ago I was telling her that dinner would be ready around 630. She then queried  if I had asked, ‘Her’?

I assumed she meant my wife.

When I said I would and started to my room across the hall from hers, she said that she’s not over there. She’s over there...

And pointed to the hallway, where no one was. When I said that, her voice changed, got very hoarse, ‘she’s in the sink!’

Gotta admit that threw me. Wasn’t expecting someone in the sink, apparently literally. She then bellowed, ‘Go Check!’

Which I did, surprisingly somewhat reluctantly...

Not so surprisingly  there was no one there.

Still, it was late at night, dark in the room, and for one second I was looking for Rod Serling...

Joydean
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2022 10:48 PM

Hi Adam and welcome to club no one wants to be. Just a friendly suggestion if you repost on the caregiver or caregiver for spouse or partner sites you will get more information. They are the first and second listed. Here on musing as you can tell it doesn’t get much attention. On the other sites listed you will meet some wonderful and very knowledgeable people. All are willing to share their experience. Some have spouses and/or family that are more advanced and some in very early stages of Alzheimer’s/dementia. I hope to see you there! 

Sorry I did have to smile at you really looking in the sink! Come on over to the other sites. 

toolbeltexpert
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2022 2:41 PM

Adam I was holding my breath,hoping no one was in the sink. Welcome to the forum. It is an honor to serve others,24/7 makes it a real challenge along with challenging  behaviors. There are still moments of joy. Today my dw had a cat scan, and she came down after getting dressed,all tears, she said she just wants this doctor thing to not stretch out, when we walked out from the cat scan she thanked me for taking her and gave me a hug. I tell my dw alot I love to serve her, it is my gift.
ZackFootInMouth
Posted: Monday, August 8, 2022 11:17 AM

A rerun of the Star Trek episode The City on the Edge of Forever, Deforest Kelley gives a performance of being overdosed on hallucinogenic medication. It bears a strong similarity to dementia with paranoid shouting of assassins and hiding.