RSS Feed Print
A Gift of Kindness
BPHill
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 1:05 PM

Caring for a parent with Alzheimer's is challenging -- and much of my writing these days details the darker days of my caregiving duties. Despite the inevitable dips in the road, I would not trade the 18 months I have had my mom in our home. We have shared tender moments that I will hold forever in my heart. I am thankful for a supportive husband, an amazing daughter, special caregivers and loving friends who have helped me on this bittersweet journey. They have allowed me a sweet gift of time before this demon disease completely steals my mom away from us.

Tonight, my heart is heavy after an incident with a bath aide who was sent to our home to assist. People with Alzheimer's Disease are not inanimate objects without feelings. People with Alzheimer's are college educated, talented, witty, creative and charming. People with Alzheimer's have run households and corporations; raised families and raised cane. People with Alzheimer's are our neighbors, co-workers, friends and family. They have lived and loved and traveled life's highways and byways. They like fried chicken and fresh-baked cookies; soft blankets and a purring kitten. They remember sitting in a school desk; the kiss of snowflakes on winter cheeks; the flutter of a first love. People with Alzheimer's are human beings, just like you and me, and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

Please look beyond the wheelchair, the frailty, the confusion, the pale and misty eyes. Please look, and you will see a bright and shiny soul trapped inside a failing body and faulty mind. The person you mistreated today was not just another patient on your list. She is my mother and I love her -- and as long as God grants me the strength -- I will be her protector and her advocate. Just as she cared for me, I now care for her.

Please, please, be kind.

Kindness costs us so very little and means so very much.

VKB
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 4:00 PM

Well said, well said.  People who can't show gentleness and kindness should not be in the field of caring for others. 

I guess we were fortunate not to come across this type of help. 

Peace,  Veronica

quits
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 7:49 PM

I am sorry your mother was mistreated. I have not used any outside help for my husband yet but just as I cared for our daughter and didn't work outside the home when she was young, I feel the need to be here for my husband.

Caring for them is an honor. Praying for better caregivers for your mom.

Quits