RSS Feed Print
Simply. By being the real me.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 4:21 AM

Had a dream tonight. I was annoyed. Had a feeling. Of being a servant. At a party. That I didn’t want to be at. Here I was.  Mixing with others. When I wanted to be alone. Not having to serve others. And I asked myself, ‘Why am I doing this? When I don’t have to.’ I thought that the greater good. Would be to serve myself. To do as I please. What’s best for me. And here I am. Caught in the role. Of serving others. A menial servant.  But still. It’s expected of me.  By the society. In which I live. I am being subservient. Living by rules. That I’d rather ignore. And easily could. Simply by going against the grain. I’d not be hurting others. And I’d be helping myself. By being the real me. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 8:57 AM

Jim...you write a lot about "me". You thoughts on the subject seem to be clear...your definition of yourself is well formed. 

How about taking the "you" that you have arrived at and put it to work creating something.....a book perhaps that would involve a longer train of thought. I know it would be a good one.

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 10:43 AM

jfkoc wrote:

Jim...you write a lot about "me". You thoughts on the subject seem to be clear...your definition of yourself is well formed. 

How about taking the "you" that you have arrived at and put it to work creating something.....a book perhaps that would involve a longer train of thought. I know it would be a good one.

I wonder, Judith. If one would be better off. Actually living one’s story. Rather than putting it in novel/story form. Yes. Being a romantic idealist. In the flesh. Being a spiritual free-thinker. In one's soul. Being a political liberal. Right here on Earth.  On a daily basis. Being a lover. In practice. Dreaming dreams. But also living dreams. My critique of writers. Is that they write make-believe stories. Rather than live real stories. I feel like I’m really living my story. My life. Chapter by chapter by chapter. Not in my imagination. But in reality.  I have to do more than merely go through the motions of proclaiming who I am. I am compelled to be. To truly live my life. Yes. My life. Every day. And to learn to savor it all. Or if not all. To savor every little piece. Piece by piece. Not in theory. But in practice. I am far more than a novelist. I am, period. Living. Living. Living my life.--Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 1:18 PM

It's great that you are living your life. What is it that you do? I am certain it would be of interest.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 8:41 PM

jfkoc wrote:
It's great that you are living your life. What is it that you do? I am certain it would be of interest.

My form of romantic idealism is both idealistic and practical. A wonderful blend. I’ve had two true loves. Not bad. For a single lifetime. I know people who have reached old age and died. Without ever having a true love. A genuine romance. They may have imagined the romantic ideal. Even written about it. But they never lived it. I’ve lived it. Twice. Since my 33rd year. First, with Jeanne. My wife for 38 years. I was pleasantly consumed. By and with Jeanne. Right up to the day she died. Of Alzheimer’s. But even now, she’s a living part of me. In a spiritual way. I suspect. That Jeanne’s spirit. Has guided me to my second true love. Cristina. An Italian. That I met on the Alzheimer’s message boards. Cristina’s mother had Alzheimer’s. Yes, we had a common bond. The loss of loved ones. We corresponded.  And finally connected. In the flesh. When we met in Venice. At the train station. Fronting on a canal. We traveled to the Italian Alps. For three weeks. And that was the beginning of our romantic relationship. Which will continue. Until one of us dies. Most likely me. I’m 20 years older. Quite a contrast. To Jeanne. I was nine years younger. Anyway, the important thing. Cristina and I are in love. We live together. Parts of the year. With each other. In our homelands. Minnesota and Sardinia. And we travel together. Around the world. And when we aren’t together in the flesh, we are still together. On Skype. Often several times a day. It’s my way of living as a romantic idealist.  We support each other. Cristina has a career. As a teacher of English and English literature. In Italy. I’m a retired journalist. But I still write. Whatever moves me. Including an occasional love letter. More proof. That I’m a romantic idealist. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 1:53 AM

I’ve reached the age of uncertainty. An octogenarian. Generally considered an old man. I’m fortunate. At the moment.  Because I am able to take care of myself. But face it. This is a risky age. To live alone. Most of the time. Which I do. I still travel. To Italy. To be with my younger Italian true love. For six weeks. Later this winter. I have faith. That all will go well. Because I am a romantic idealist. A true believer. That life was meant to be lived. Romantically. Almost as if in a dream world. Yes. I recognize. That all good things. Come to an end. Some day. I will die. Leaving my Earthly life. Unexpectedly. But perhaps. There is an afterlife. A spiritual domain. Or a reincarnation. For those who desire to live forever. Because it’s the romantic thing to do. Yes. Yes. I live for the sake of romance. For the pursuit of love. That makes me a genuine romantic idealist. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 2:41 AM

I fortify myself. With the written word. By recording. What I believe. It’s so important. To remind myself. Because I am so many things. I play many roles. I am in a constant state of flux. Renewed. Daily. Never static. On the move.  Creative. With the pulse beat of a god. I am in love. With meaningful words. Little wonder. That I’ve become a writer. Addicted to words. To language. A way.  To become known.  To connect. With others.  I am alone. In so many ways. But still. I am compelled. To reach out. To seek love. In a strange. But beautiful world. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:09 AM

OK, OK. I know that you are a romantic idealist but how about sharing something more about yourself. Music, books, artists. Something beyond the Cubs especially since I am a lifelong Sox fan.
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:30 AM

jfkoc wrote:
OK, OK. I know that you are a romantic idealist but how about sharing something more about yourself. Music, books, artists. Something beyond the Cubs especially since I am a lifelong Sox fan.

A Sox fan? Don't fret. You can be helped. With a little bit of therapy.

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:41 AM

I treasure everyone of Haydn's string quartets. I must meet Haydn some day. In the afterlife. I'll talk to him. About Mozart. Of course, there's nothing stopping me from knocking on Mozart's door. But I want to be introduced to him. By Haydn. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:48 AM

Ahhh! Give me D.H.Lawrence. We were born on the same day.  Sept.11. Only in different years. Same goes for O. Henry. By the way, Lawrence was in love. With Sardinia. So am I. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:32 PM

Lawrence. That is a surprise. You are philosophically such opposites.
jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 7:33 PM

It truly is an interesting choice, Jim. Perhaps Lawrence's writing does not illustrate his beliefs. That too would be interesting.

Now O'Henry and The Gift of the Magi does sound like your romantic self.

I used to be an avid reader. My taste runs to mysteries. Agatha Christi is always a favorite.

Anyone else care to share their favorites?

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:58 PM

Lawrence at his romantic best.

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:14 PM

Lawrence and Frieda. I liked the relationship. Especially the early years. And what brought them together. Frieda became something else. After Lawrence's death. --Jim
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:33 PM

Anyone like Preston and Child>> https://www.prestonchild.com/, or am I the only weirdo here?

I like the Pendergast series.

Actually, I just received my first Kindle today!  Hurray! My Christmas present to myself  :o)

I'm gonna first purchase "Sharp Objects" with my Kindle.  It seemed like an interesting movie.

ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:34 PM

ruthmendez wrote:

...or am I the only weirdo here?

Yeah, you're the only weirdo.

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:36 PM

If only. Lawrence had lived into old age. Into his 80s. Died much too soon. In 1930. Maybe I would have met him. In the 1970s. If he had a lifespan like mine. What a wonderful thought. Lawrence was born in 1885. On Sept 11.  I began my reign on Earth. Exactly 50 years later. To the day. Thankfully, I’m still alive and kicking. And a Lawrence devotee. I’ve visited his shrine. In Taos. I’m touched. By his spirit. By his literary works. By his life. --jim

ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:37 PM

??? Elephant Slow to Mate???

HHAHHAHHAHHAAHAHHA!!!!

ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:39 PM

Ya gotta any more Jim?!  This is fun.
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:41 PM

Ya sure know how to turn em threads Jim!  ;o)
Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:51 AM

jfkoc wrote:
Lawrence. That is a surprise. You are philosophically such opposites.

Lawrence is misunderstood. By his severest critics. He wasn't such a bad guy. An idealist, of sorts. He would have been much different. As an old man. Than he was as a young man. We mellow. As we age. We become more sensitive. Everyone deserves to reach old age. It's a more spiritual time. I would like to see the novels. That Lawrence would have written. In his 70s and 80s. Life is too short. Too brief.  --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:41 AM

Ah....DH, Okeeffe, Dodge, Rogers, Fechin, et al. The golden age of Taos a town not even a shadow of itself. What it must have been.
chrisp1653
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:53 PM

David McCullough:

The Johnstown Flood, The Great Bridge, The Path Between The Seas, Truman, Brave Companions, Mornings On Horseback.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:13 PM

Oh, my. I am certainly on the literary bottom rung here.
chrisp1653
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:31 PM

You are most certainly not on the bottom rung of the literary ladder, jfkoc. I also love to read, and reread books by Jack Higgins, Terry Brooks, J.R.R. Tolkien, Clive Cussler, Dick Francis, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Where that puts me on the ladder, I have no idea.
ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 10:51 PM

'Lone Wolf' by Jodi Picoult

'Drowning Ruth' by Christina Shwarz

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 5:07 AM

Come to think of it. I retired early. To become Jeanne’s care-giver. That proved to be a stepping stone. To a better life. For me. Little wonder. I have no regrets. It solidified. My decision to be a romantic idealist. To be what I’ve become.  In so-called retirement. Yes. Life works. In strange and mysterious ways. Wonderful  ways, too. All it takes. Is accepting one’s fate. And savoring it all. Making every day. Thanksgiving. Though occasionally, I forget. --Jim