RSS Feed Print
CBD oil update - waking up
alz+
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2016 4:09 PM

what a day.

I  think it has been a week or so since I started taking a daily grain of rice size drop of CBD oil to help with symptoms of ALZ.

Have looked for further info/advice on it and there is more than I thought. Seems to be 50% suggest the THC oil (similar to Rick Simpson oil) and 50% say CBD (anti seizure with no THC)

A man posted here about his wife making huge comeback on THC oil he used in baking edibles. That inspired me so I added one more drop a day. There is no EFFECT of it, no sense of being medicated, but about an hour after taking it I feel ultra calm and very good-natured. 

Have not needed Ativan since I started. I was very anxious until this. Have not thought of taking a puff of marijuana during day either. I think it MAY be because I have some automatic behaviors back. Dressing is no big deal, have been cleaning and sorting in house, swimming at pool, having conversations, sleeping good.

There must be memory loss because I am trying to recall all the things that took so much attention to do before I started oil. Brushing teeth, changing sheets, many things involved step by step incremental thoughts that wore me out.

Today I went to pool and asked a woman if she could remember a Linda Ronstadt song and the only word I could recall from the song was "fence". Her husband got involved and we went through 20 songs before he came up with "Desparado"!

Most of the words came back to me. A half hour later the woman and I exchanged phone numbers and plan to meet at pool again. No way I would have done that a month ago. My desire for solitude is not so big (was overwhelmed before oil).

My son can tell the difference in my emails. My daughter called and was shocked at our conversation. Keeper and I had a heart to heart today and I could follow his thoughts and kept up with deep conversation. No more thick tongue speech, no more staring episodes.

It is kind of weird to be revived after I had been going so much slower.

Now what? I had accepted being ... bogged down, now I am thinking hay bale garden in summer and going to garage sales with new friend. It is like coming out of a coma or something. Maybe when I had pneumonia was similar, although it was over a year before I really recovered from that.

To go from so altered to this functional so fast - as I mentioned before even the eye sight is better. Found stamps in drawer, figured out some bills, sent a package.

I was initially advised to take 4 drops a day but I think I will stay at 2 per day.

The inner peace is something I have not felt in 30 years. It is not sedated, it feels incredibly normal.

watched a promo on PBS yesterday about Dr Amen and his brain clinics. He claims our brains can heal themselves and has 110,000 scans to prove it. Even brains injured in trauma have healed with right supplements, exercise, and diet. I wish I could go to his clinic to get a scan and see what happens in 6 months.

alz+
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2016 4:22 PM

I do know I had thought someone was a peer volunteer for years here, until today when she pointed it out that, no she was a member like the rest of us.

I also know I am not able to recall other things. The condition persists, but it so much more endurable.

To not be frightened, anxious, down or worn out is a miracle to me.

newellar
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2016 7:05 PM

I am very happy for your positive experience so far.  My DW is not interested in trying it yet.  I think she still feels like it is an illegal drug and not considered a viable medication or supplement.  As more people share their experiences we can all learn.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 11:09 AM

No dissertations on peroxynitrite scavengers for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease this time; no laments of how people have ignored the use of aromatic plants for the treatment of the disease either.  Just a big smile for you.  
liberpublicrat
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 11:18 AM

alz, glad to hear it is helping you!

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 7:12 PM

Half the country thinks it is wonderful, half think it is awful stoner loser criminal.

CBD oil does NOT make you "high" and it was a medicine for my grandparents and everyone for 2000 years before that.

If some one was inclined they can google a video on how and why a few people before WW2 decided to use marijuana/hemp to create financial benefit to themselves.

This is still making a profit now via private prisons. I think some CBD oil is legal anywhere and can be ordered from internet. Made from Hemp in that case.

I did decide to go with BOTH. 

3 rice size cbd drops during earlier part of day, one bakery item made with cannabutter in evening. this combo makes me sharper in day, and then lets me relax and sleep at night.

Keeper made the best chocolate chip cookies for me with coconut oil and cannabutter. Very sound peaceful sleep.

Since I had bad reaction to ALZ meds I have no idea how this would interact with those drugs if some one was taking them.

Hi Lane! I am sleeping with sachet of lavender under my pillow!

also "eau de dog" is constant aromatherapy! ha!

Unforgiven
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 7:37 PM

Aroma de horse is also very soothing.  So are their velvety noses and criendly faces.  Animals are wonderful when it comes to soothing the soul.
llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 8:05 PM

The best news ever alz+! Thank you so much for keeping us up to date with your journey. Flea marketing/garage sales with a new friend sounds like fun in the making. Soon the weather will be great for such plans. I am excited and happy for you. For me also and anyone else that can be helped. Not unlike you I cannot tolerate the meds either and need another plan. Need hope!

BTW, The Eagle's, Glen Frey and Don Henley wrote Desperado and released it in their album in 1973. It's beautiful work and one of my favorites.

Wishing you continued success.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:34 PM

Lavender is indeed great for sleep.  Wet dog, not so much, but what wonderful animals and companions.

I had a friend with a traumatic brain injury recover using various herbs and aromatherapy and now you with cannabis oil.  Maybe miracles are possible.

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:59 AM

Unforgiven wrote:
Aroma de horse is also very soothing.  So are their velvety noses and criendly faces.  Animals are wonderful when it comes to soothing the soul.

This very true. The moment I smell horses I feel more grounded, alive and happy.
The nose, the nibbling, the sound...I hope this summer I get to be around horses.

beachgirl27
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 1:34 PM

Alz - great news and inspiring story. I want to try CBD with my dad soon. My only question is HOW?

You mentioned "drops"...do you literally drop the oil in your mouth? Does it have a taste? Can it be dropped on food?

Do you live in a state where medical is approved? Unfortunately, we do not.

On the THC product are you using a sativa or indica strain? Assume indica as you are using it to sleep. Any specific strain?

liberpublicrat
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 2:08 PM

I see the repeated comparisons to aroma therapy.

The two "treatments" are not even remotely alike.

While a smell may be calming or trigger a lost memory...as far as I know, sniffing a scent will not open blood vessels, protect brain cells and remove plaque.

...all of which Cannabis is known to do.

alz+
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 8:51 PM

Beachgirl -

Yes I  live in a legal state - but where dispensaries are blocked by local governments, so around me we have Compassion Clubs, we join as members and need to have a license from state to purchase.

I was given a test  run of CBD oil, which is like tar in a plastic syringe and we put a drop the size of a grain of brown rice on top of little coconut oil on spoon, then cover it with  more coconut oil as the CBD oil has ultra strong taste. I then swallow the ball of coconut oil with glass of water. 

We sort of wrap the cbd in coconut oil. The taste revolted me first few times, now I am used to it but try to avoid it getting on my tongue as it stays for an hour or more.

Have no idea what strength this is, dispensaries have machines that test the oils. Seems impossible for this tiny amount to be effective but it is. I take smaller dosage of any pharmaceutical too.

Indica strain I used for sleep  called "Train Wreck" - not found much anymore, every thing is cross bred but if you go to leafly.com they have information on strains and what each does and where to buy etc.

I think everyone finds a strain they like and what works is different for most people. I think the edibles are easiest way to take CBD or THC but you do not want to take too much. smallest amount possible to get desired effect. someone unfamiliar with cannabis - i.e. they never smoked pot ever - would need to make sure they are in safe comfortable place to try it. too much THC can knock you out. 

Aroma therapy does in fact have healing properties. You need pure medical grade oils. I used it in my massage practice and many people do use it for calming or stimulating effects.

Good luck... to have someone deeply asleep for 7 hours is a help to pwd and cgvr, to be able to do more simple things and converse on cbd oil is really nice, it does wear off.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 9:20 PM

Thank you for your cautious statement, liberpublicrat  (and for your wise statement, alz+ which I just read).  It turns out that essential oils via aromatherapy and medicinal marijuana work in much the same way.  

“Essential oils affect the circulatory system by dilating the blood vessels, thereby allowing the blood to flow.” - See more at: http://www.alive.com/health/improving-circulatory-health/#sthash.5TBMbA0p.dpuf

Eugenol--a polyphenol in various essential oils-- inhibits plaque formation but this is immaterial as the plaques may be a way that the body protects itself against hydrogen peroxide.

http://www.jbc.org/content/280/43/35789.abstract

On the other hand, several compounds in essential oils are metal chelators which limits the production of hydrogen peroxide early in Alzheimer's disease.

But here is the essential point, THC and cannabidiols in medicinal marijuana are peroxynitrite scavengers as are certain terpenes in medicinal marijuana and essential oils via aromatherapy (most notably eugenol).  Peroxynitrite limits the flow of blood in the brain and the transport of glucose which can lead to delusions, inhibits the release and synthesis of neurotransmitters involved in short-term memory, sleep, mood, social recognition, and alertness, inhibits the regeneration of neurons, and kills neurons.  Remove them and reverse part of their damage and you have a chance to treat Alzheimer's disease and perhaps a series of other diseases as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17237348

Aromatherapy and medicinal marijuana may be an excellent combination.  Linalool in aromatic plants reduces anxiety, THC in marijuana reduces more severe neuropyschiatric problems, cannabidiols and eugenol in certain essential oils promote cognition.  The so-called entourage effect may be the best current approach for effectively treating Alzheimer's disease.

Terpenoids and cannabinoids both increase blood flow, enhance cortical activity, and kill respiratory pathogens...

https://www.projectcbd.org/terpenes-and-entourage-effect

As we know, science has identified and characterized the molecular structure of around 20,000 terpenes, which makes it the largest category of plant chemicals. These aromatic compounds are found in the essential oils of plants and flowers, and plenty of studies have been done on their effects.

Of the 20,000 identified terpenes, there have been more than 120 found in cannabis. Only a few of them appear in high concentrations, but they have been found to have a number of benefits.

Terpenes could also aid in Alzheimer’streatment with cannabidiol (CBD). Linalool, which is prominent in lavender, helps counter stress and anxiety. Limonene is commonly used in aromatherapy to improve mood, and pinene is known to promote alertness and memory retention. Combining these terpenoids with a CBD-rich extract may help treat the wide-ranging effects of Alzheimer’s disease. 

http://www.medicaljane.com/2013/09/23/terpenes-may-improve-effectiveness-of-medical-marijuana/ 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 9:34 PM

What a wonderful thing really: I used to consider myself on the far outer boundaries of understanding this disease and how to treat it.  Now, I am away from the edge just watching in joyous amazement and contentment as others keep pushing the boundaries out further.
liberpublicrat
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 6:32 AM

I can show you on a meter, that a lemon has electrical energy in it.
Try to actually run anything with it...and one learns quickly that numbers on a meter and usable battery power are two very different things.

While I am not discounting anyones experience with aromatherapy, comparing it with direct ingestion of cannabis is very much like the lemon battery example.

It is physically impossible to sniff enough clove oil to come anywhere near the effect of ingested cannabis. To constantly compare the two is  misleading. 

"What a wonderful thing really: I used to consider myself on the far outer boundaries of understanding this disease and how to treat it.  Now, I am away from the edge just watching in joyous amazement and contentment as others keep pushing the boundaries out further." 

Thanks for putting your attitude out there. 
Really.

alz+
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 7:52 AM

Liberpub -

Yes, essential oils do have an effect, immediate effect.

The change in my cognition is wildly different with cbd oil than other plant oils, but the aroma oils effect my emotional state and are so pleasant in the atmosphere.

I have not done math after using orange oils, but the whole day is different if I put spruce in a bath and leave the water in tub so the fragrance fills the house.

essential oils trigger profound level of memories. when I smell orange blossoms I am really feeling myself at the old Phoenix airport climbing out of my Dad's plane - we landed at night and the air was filled with orange blossoms! The smell of my Dad's after shave brings him back to life in my mind. Smells transport us back to_____ ! 

Next time you cut open a lemon stick your face close and inhale. I leave orange peels around, how about th smell of good coffee? There is a science behind the oils but you are right - the effect from cbd oil is so wildly huge, a different category.

One is subtle, one is a kick in the butt brain defogger.

nice in combo esp when pharma drugs are not going to do much for ALZ - she says while going for anti viral drug to stop shingles re-occurrence. 

we use what ever works!  

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 9:44 AM

I am not disagreeing with you that cannabis is more powerful than aromatherapy in treating Alzheimer's disease, but that the two have an additive effect (alz+ insights are spot on).  For one thing, cannabis contains many of the terpenes found in various essential oils in addition to THC and cannabidiol.   For another thing, essential oils easily reach one part of the brain affected by Alzheimer's disease (the hippocampus) but perhaps not other parts of the brain affected by the disease, whereas cannabis oil presumably reaches other parts of the brain affected by Alzheimer's disease.  This may explain why aromatherapy helped my mother in many ways: she stopped having delusions, could recognize objects and places, had some repetitive memory, slept better, was much more alert and aware but not much more lucid.

Eugenol in clove essential oil is very concentrated.  For some people it increases agitation may be because of its association with past use in dental operations.  It also attacks one of the central features of Alzheimer's disease--oxidative stress.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9147382

http://benthamscience.com/journals/current-bioactive-compounds/volume/2/issue/1/page/57/

And it improves cognition in regards to personal orientation in people with Alzheimer's disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20377818

Find the right combination of antioxidants and you effectively treat Alzheimer's disease.  

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:08 AM

This post motivated me to get started with aromatherapy. I just ordered some lemon, orange, mint oils and a diffuser. Also lavender sachets for under pillow. I forgot all about sachets! Thank you for the reminder!

Lane do you know of any research for treating severe mental illness and positive symptoms such as, delusions and hallucinations with cannabis? It could be a big game changer given some of the irreversible side effects of the antipsychotic meds.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:19 AM

llee, the essential oils you chose should help with mild anxiety and sleep.

I am having intermittent problems on this site posting studies, but here is a link to the most recent study using cannabis oil to treat neuropsychiatric problems in dementia.

http://content.iospress.com/articles/journal-of-alzheimers-disease/jad150915

With cannabis oil containing THC, there were decreases in delusions, agitation/aggression, irritability, apathy, sleep, and caregiver stress.  

I keep waiting for studies, like this, to have a major impact--maybe one of these days.

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 8:03 PM

Thank you Lane
Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:09 AM

You are welcome, llee.  Ferulic acid may help as well.  I read just one obscure reference to the presence of ferulic acid in marijuana smoke.  I am not sure if a ferulic acid supplement would produce similar results as this product from Japan.

Effect of ferulic acid and Angelica archangelica extract on behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia in frontotemporal lobar degeneration and dementia with Lewy bodies.

Treatment with Feru-guard led to decreased scores on the Neuropsychiatric Inventory in 19 of 20 patients and significantly decreased the score overall. The treatment also led to significantly reduced subscale scores on the Neuropsychiatric Inventory ("delusions", "hallucinations", "agitation/aggression", "anxiety", "apathy/indifference", "irritability/lability" and "aberrant behavior"). There were no adverse effects or significant changes in physical findings or laboratory data.

There is another study for Feru-guard showing reduced neuropsychiatric problems in Alzheimer's patients.