RSS Feed Print
Memory Club
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:38 AM

Three years after my first contact with the Alzheimer's Association finally I have been accepted to attend Memory Club.  Here is a description of Memory Club.   

"The Memory Club is designed to meet the needs of both the individual with dementia and their care partner.  Each session focuses on a different aspect of adjusting to life with dementia.  The ultimate aim of the group is to empower the entire family through knowledge, support and a sense of community."

I went for an assessment interview a few days ago.  I'm looking forward to this group. 

This coming week, I have an appointment to repeat my neuropsychological testing.  It will be done in two sessions. 

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:43 PM

Iris, The Memory Club sounds like a group in the Philly area that gives a several week introduction to the disease. That's not for you. You could probably run the goup. So I hope it's not.

And we'll have to compare post neuro notes. I recently finished my five year post.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:46 PM

Mimi, this group is exactly what I need.   Unlike other people, I have absolutely NO support re: cognitive issues.  I need to be around some people who won't call me a hypochondriac or say I'm "choosing to forget".

Iris L.

SteveSanJose
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:59 PM

I to have no family members for my support. I rely on my peer groups. I go to a weekly group that is just people with memory problems. I find knowledge from them, even if I have a lot of knowledge of Alzheimers myself.  I found talking to other people with similar disabilities very helpful.

You're Awesome! 

Lisa428
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:28 AM

Iris,

This sounds like a wonderful support group for you!

We all need love and support.

Please, let us know how it goes.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:34 PM

Thank you Lisa.  The group begins in two weeks, on Feb. 16.  I'm looking forward to it.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 11:14 PM

I got a call from the social worker in charge of the Memory Club.  It has been cancelled due to not enough enrollement.  I'm very disappointed.  They hope to have another Memory Club to begin in August or September.

Iris L.

Geegee
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:50 AM

Oh how disappointing!  I'm so sorry you have to wait, Iris.  I say don't give up.  Could you contact the social worker and talk to him/her to see how many 

signed up?  See If there is any way that you could form a support group from those 2, 6, or however many was not enough for their quota.  I'm sure you 

aren't the only one who is disappointed that they have to wait.  Do you think this is an option to pursue? 

...just wanting you to get that support you need!

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:53 PM

Why couldn't whoever signed up just get together. Pick a spot where you wouldn't be rushed and it's quiet. 

Does your local chapter have a conference room? You would not need a moderator. 

Just ask if they can get permission from each of the other registered parties to give you their contact info. Call and figure out a good time to meet. Probably whenever your meeting was going to be. 

You can figure out a place if one of you knows the area. Hey LA, even a park will do.

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:55 PM

Iris,
Did you have your neuro-psych?