RSS Feed Print
How do you know when to ask: "Could I have a problem?"
Debbie 1951
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:09 PM

Both my parents were diagnosed with ALZ. My dad in his seventies which was forgetfulness, and that was about it. He developed some artery problems and when I thought things were not right and insisted someone look at him more closely they discovered he had ALS (Lou Gehrig's Decease. I took him home with Hospice and within three weeks he passed away.  During years prior to this I noticed my mom having memory issues, but she always depended on my dad for paying bills etc. Once he was gone I new I could not leave her home alone so I moved her in with me. After three years of watching her failing I finally got the AD diagnosis. It has been a year now and she is about stage 6. Is it too so for me to think about this happening to me? I know I forget things, but with all the pressure and appointments I have now, it was so much easier to work. I will be sixty one in May and wonder if I am just pushing the panic button. Thoughts?
Lisa428
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 8:35 PM

Hi Debbie 1951,

Welcome to the Message Boards.  I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your Father.  And now, your Mom is having problems.  That is very sad and very difficult for you.

Have you had a complete physical including blood work to check thyroid and hormone levels??  Vitamin D & other vitamins?

Do you suffer with depression?

If you have had a thorough physical and you don't suffer with depression (or your symptoms are under control with medications) then I would suggest you see a neurologist who specializes in dementia and AD.  He will do testing as well as set you up for neuropsychological testing.

Good Luck with everything.  Please, let us know how you are doing.

We do have a toll free 24/7 Helpline to call 800-272-3900.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 10:59 PM

Hello, Debbie.  I'm also sorry to hear about your Dad.  Lisa is right, there are many causes of memory loss.  A primary cause is stress and anxiety, which you have been under lately.  It's important to get the checkup Lisa mentioned, then to try to schedule in breaks for yourself.  Caregiving 24/7 will wear you down.   

Being forgetful can be a problem but you need to ask yourself if you have difficulty in performing tasks you used to do without any hesitation.  How are you with cooking and following a recipe?  How are you with taking care of your bills and your checkbook?  I know many pay bills online nowadays, but trouble with managing finances is a sign to look for.  Keep a record of what symptoms you notice so you can relay them to your doctor.   

In the meantime, you can begin Best Practices.  This means following a brain- and heart-healthy lifestyle, which includes eating the Mediterranean diet with lots of antioxidant fruits and vegetables, olive oil, fish and nuts, exercising vigorously, stimulating your mind, and socializing.  You can fit this into your busy schedule, can't you (smile)? 

John, one of the caregiver members, discovered that his memory problem was related to low testosterone caused by a medication he was taking.  I believe it's too soon to worry, but soon enough to take steps to check things out. 

Please come back and let us know how you are doing. 

Iris L. 

Debbie 1951
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:24 PM

Thank you Iris and Lisa. I have a appt at the end of Feb. with my internist. Yes I am treated for depression but I don't think the meds are of much help. I am always physically tired and I am not sure if it is my Fibromyalgia or stress. My pain is under moderate control with Lyrica. Yes I do fine with cooking and baking so far. I do take extra vitamin D due to headaches, and it really helps . I am just so afraid I won't notice systems early. Thanks for your concern

Debbie

Geegee
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:59 PM

Hi Debbie!  Welcome!

I'm so sorry for all you have experienced first with your Dad and now with your mom.  That is truly hard on you.  Many of us have experienced that and can understand the toll it takes.  

It's good you're talking to your doctor. hopefully it's one who knows you and is understanding.  You seem to be more worried than actually having many symptoms,  

maybe relax.  Fibromyalgia causes what they call a fibro fog.  You can look that up.  After your doctor tests you and maybe adjusts your meds, you will feel better and  more relaxed.

Others will have wonderful advice to offer.  where's Mimi?

Keep us posted and we are happy if we can help any way!