RSS Feed Print
Do you ever long for what your LO was into, but you weren't into?
Waiting for a cure
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:16 PM

Oh, gosh, that's a convoluted topic heading.  Let me give an example of what I'm talking about.
My mom loved gardening.  She was great at it.  She could tend to the most delicate of flowers and make them thrive.   Her gardens could have been in magazines.  I wasn't into them, though I knew they were great and I told her so when I was not being a self centered child.
Now, I see a garden store ad and long for the same beautiful flowers she had.  I see garden magazines and wonder if I could do that.  I HATE weeding  I cannot even get an avocado pit to sprout.  I could kill ivy without really trying.
This isn't the only example.  I find myself wanting to wear a banana on my hair the way she did when she was 10 years younger than I am now (I'm 39 and my mom did not wear a banana on her hair at 39) 
What's up with this? Do any of your experience this?  Is it our way of connecting with our loved ones?   If I actually went out and bought the garden supplies, I doubt I'd be happier.  When she was in memory care and I spent a lot of time with her there, I didn't come home and long for gardens.  Why now?
Anyway, I guess I'm not asking for help making sense of this.  Maybe I should have put this post in musings.  But I thought hey, I'll start a new thread today why not.  I am wondering if I'm alone laughing at myself for longing for things that never really appealed to me before.

CarllyJean
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:51 PM

I can so relate!  The other day in the grocery store I bought a dozen hot cross buns. My husband, kids and I are not crazy about them but my mom loved them and often bought them around Easter time.  Also, last weekend I made split pea soup just like my mom used to make when I was a child.  I have been married for almost 25 years and I have never made it before.  I was all of a sudden, one day, just craving it.  As a child, I don't think I was all that wild about it!  Ha!  

My mother loved a certain hand cream.  It had a very delicate lavender scent.  I always made sure she had some and when I visited we would gently rub some into each other's hands  Now, every night before bed I use it.  The scent reminds me of her.  The other night my sweet daughter rubbed it into my hands.  

Grace to you, C.

Oceanbum
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:56 AM

My Mom has always been a huge Cincinnati Reds fan. As a kid I remember she always had the Reds on the radio or TV. Her & Dad always went to at least one game a year. She knew all the players names, numbers & stats. They always planned to go to Spring Training but never got to go before she got sick. Now that she is in the home we make sure to watch the schedule so that she doesn't miss a game. I find myself watching ESPN to see if the Reds won or lost! I'm not a baseball fan, I'm more of a soccer fan, thanks to my youngest daughter, but I do find myself watching to see how the Reds are doing for Mom!
SadinHeart
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:03 PM

My mom loved sewing. I dont like to sew at all. She also liked talking to people on the phone, I work all day receiving phone calls so the least I want is to talk on the phone when I get home. She loved to cook, but didnt like to teach people how to cook so I learned all I know about cooking from my paternal grandmother. Mom and I didnt have much in common. We loved each other and got along great, but the apple of her eye was always my oldest brother. I know she loved me, but we just didnt have much in common.

I guess I am more like my dad. My dad liked watching tv, going out to nice restaurants and just traveling anywhere. To him going to stay in a hotel was so relaxing. I love traveling. I love to just go away for a weekend and stay in a hotel to relax and change scenery. My dad was not the "talk on the phone" type and he spent all his life saving other people's lives. He was a wonderful doctor. I dont like the clinical part of medicine, but I studied the administrative part of medicine. So I guess dad and I have a lot in common.

I miss my parents.