RSS Feed Print
Video Diaries, Letter Writing
Nora22
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:31 PM

Hello all, I'm new here and I joined almost entirely for the purpose of making this post. I am a 28-year-old daughter of my incredible 68-year-old father who has faught Alzheimer's for nearly 15 years now.

For those of you like my dad with early-onset Alzheimer's I have a request for you that your families would appreciate but may not feel comfortable asking or pursuing.

Please make audio or video recordings or keep letters or diaries for your loved ones! Please have the courage and love to do this early in the disease, even if you are struggling with denial. The early you do it, the better the recordings.

Recording memories of your lives perserves who you are and who you were. They can be helpful in many ways. First, it's a great way to deal with the fear of losing those memories, you can play them back to yourself over and over and keep the memories alive on foggy days. Second, it's good therapy because you know you're leaving your legacy behind which is a gift that many victims of sudden diseases or accidents don't get the chance to create. Third, it will provide your loved ones with remembrances of you that they will cherish later in their lives.

You can also record advice for the lives of your loved ones in the future. If you have unmarried children, or children still in high school record advice for them on big days like Graduation and Weddings, if you can manage to summon up the courage it would take you might even consider recording advice for them on how to handle the day of your funeral. If they're still young and single record dating advice peppered with memories of your own dating experiences. Make recordings of any life advice you have for them including parenting, job hunting, finances, anything. It will feel wonderful to know that you are leaving a legacy of wisdom that will be shared and respected and it is a gift and gesture that will be deeply appreciated and loved by those around you.

The only regret of my life is that I didn't have the courage to approach my father and ask him to do this because my parents were both in denial and not open to discussing it until it was too late.

Willow
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:02 AM

Hi Nora!

What a wonderful idea!  And not one that many of us would think of.  Thank you for sharing this with us and giving us food for thought.  

Myriam
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:21 AM

Yes, thank you, Nora. I've been thinking about this for a while, but you've given me the impetus to do it.