RSS Feed Print
NeuroPsych testing
Willow
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:38 AM

Well, finally I'm going through my first test at the Memory Center next Monday.  They tell me it's from 9:00 - 3:30 so it'll be a long day but it'll be nice to finally get things in the works.

Today I'm finally going to the library to put in a request for the Alz Action Plan book you've suggested.  I went yesterday and it wasn't there so I'll check again to make sure if its out or they need to order it for me.

I've seen some of you have had to wait for quite awhile to get your results.  Iris, being six weeks if I recall.  Is that the norm?

I find myself getting moody lately and easily ticked off.  That doesn't seem like me...  

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:43 AM

Hi Willow,

If you call your library they will know if they have the book or need to order it from another library.

The testing is long. Bring a snack with you and a bottle of water. If you need a break, say so.

The local testing place here is run by a wonderful, empathetic, knowledgeable doctor. He sets it up so that he is ready to give the patients and their families the results an hour or so after the testing is completed. He can arrange a conference call so that members of the family not able to be there, can be part of the final meeting.

He truly understands the worry the patients and families go through and does not prolong the waiting.

Truly something for others to emulate.

Didn't your clinic tell you when you receive the results when you set up the appointment?

And your mood can certainly be a symptom of the anxiety you are experiencing awaiting the results.  Can you get out and walk? The more the better. 

Put your favorite music on and move around the room as you listen.

Do you have a journal? You might want to journal your activities and feeling. One warning: last thing at night is NOT a good time. The earlier in the day, the better.

And do keep us posted.

Myriam
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:28 AM

Willow, the day I completed the testing they gave me an appointment with the psychologist for a week later to discuss the results.
Willow
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:16 PM

Mimi, you're a genius!  I called the library and ordered the book as you suggested.  Then I called the Memory Center to ask them how long the results will take.  They close every 3rd Thursday and this was it so I'm calling tomorrow to find out.

So funny, it's one of those, 'gee, why didn't I think of that things!'  And per your suggestion I put on some tunes and moved and baked some bars too.  Oh yeah!

Thanks so much to both of you for your responses and encouragement!!!   

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:00 PM

Willow,

I just wrote a reply, hit the wrong button and it was gone!!!

I wish all our problems were so easily solved.

Do let the group know what you think of the book.

Lisa428
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:31 PM

Willow,

Mood swings are very normal yet frightening.  I am so glad Mimi and the others were able to help you.

Do the best you can on your testing but don't let it make you crazy!

Waiting for results drives us all crazy!  I had to wait 6 weeks for mine!

Mimi and others gave you some good suggestions to help pass the time and decrease your stress.  Stress is our ENEMY!!!!  It makes our symptoms much worse.

Please, do what you can to safely release it.

Dance, sing, exercise, cook or bake, watch a funny DVD.  If you can still read, do that!

Good Luck.

Please, keep posting and try NOT to count the days.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa