RSS Feed Print
MRI for AD diagnosis?
Aviva
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 9:42 AM

Can someone please tell me if eoad can be seen on an MRI or only on a PET scan?

nomemo
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:19 PM

aviva - all i can say is that, in my case, my FTD - early onset (i'll be 57 in May) was discovered  with MRI and SPECT scans as well as cognitive testing, neuropsych testing and CT scans.  i was originally diagnosed in 2006 or 2007 with early onset dementia - non specific.  the neurologist knew i had some type of dementia, didn't feel it was alzheimer's, though.  it took almost 3 more years of testing, including the above mentioned, lumber puncture which gave a false-positive for CJD,  and lab work, to difinitively diagnose FTD.  my neurologist was very persistent in finding the specific type because he felt he could better treat me.  i was/am very lucky to have him.  he even sent me to another neurologist in pittsburgh for a second opinion.  the 2nd one ordered the spect scan which corroborated my neurologist's mri results.... and that was that.  i know i have you WAY too much information!!  sorry  : (.
SteveSanJose
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:17 PM

If you are asking can a MRI or a Pet Scan by its self, with no other tests can detect EOAD, nether can. True; The results are use with other tests. Like, memory testing, Nuro-Psych exam, and memory testing, to come up with EOAD. A new type of Pet Scan, used with a dye injected into your blood stream, to inhance the image, was just adroved by the FDA. And the future looks like a single test would be avalable. This techanology is new and will take time for the doctors to be trained in it, and for insurence to aprove it.
John1943
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 5:30 PM

Please see my post below:

http://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147487547

John

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 7:55 PM

Avia,

Early Onset only refers to the age you were at diagnosis.

It has nothing to do with how far along in the disease process you were at the time of diagnosis.

The Pittsburg Compound PET and the lumbar spinal tap are the best at finding the disease at the earliest moment.

John1943
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 12:49 PM

According to the following article, you are correct, Mimi S.  The PIB-PET is a bit better than the 18F-FDG PET:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2886669/

QUOTE:

Results
Significant discrimination (P < 0.05) between controls and AD, naMCI and aMCI, naMCI and AD, and aMCI and AD by PiB PET measurements was observed. The paired groupwise comparisons of the global measures demonstrated that PiB PET versus 18F-FDG PET showed similar significant group separation, with only PiB showing significant separation of naMCI and aMCI subjects.
Conclusion
PiB PET and 18F-FDG PET have similar diagnostic accuracy in early cognitive impairment. However, significantly better group discrimination in naMCI and aMCI subjects by PiB, compared with 18F-FDG, was seen and may suggest early amyloid deposition before cerebral metabolic disruption in this group.
END QUOTE
The patient really needs to have a discussion with his neurologist to make the right choice.
I still have a bit of trouble accepting that plaques are difinitive indicators of AD.
John