RSS Feed Print
Appointment with new neurologist
RebeccaJ
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:02 AM

Well, I finally got an appointment with a new neurologist and it is 3 months away. I am nervous to anticipate startting new testing and possible new diagnosis. I have been in a groove and fear it being changed. I hate being a lab rat with medicine and if a patient refuses to do what the doctor suggests they are considered non-complient. I will take one step at a time.

What really scares me is the communication with the doctor. I will be going with my husband and I feel he doesn't know what is going on in my head. He is the stereotypical man...NONcommunicative...and that doesn't help in a doctors office with a short time to tell all.

I guess he and I have to have a heart to heart chat a week before we go. Maybe he can make a list of what he sees going on with me. Here is the problem. I am always in control and trying to keep life normal. He doesn't see how terribly exhausting it is. I am so tired and he lets me sleep all I want, but he doesn't connect that to mental exhaustion.

Is it a good challenge to try to keep up with his pace? I have thought so until lately.

I haven't made too many mistakes or hurt myself so I guess it's okay

Zen
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:21 AM

As far as keeping up with your husband, I think you need to choose your battles.  It's no good just wearing yourself out with every little thing.

Just pick the most important activities and let the rest slide.  Otherwise you are going to work yourself into an ever deepening hole.  I know, this happened when I was caring for my dad, teaching, and trying to complete my doctorate.  I didn't know at the time that he wasn't the only one in the household with Alzheimers, but I had other obvious health issues and I worked myself to a frazzle trying to do it all.

Hang in there.

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:16 AM

RebeccaJ wrote:

Well, I finally got an appointment with a new neurologist and it is 3 months away. I am nervous to anticipate startting new testing and possible new diagnosis.REBECCA, DO YOU HAVE REASON TO SUSPECT A NEW DIAGNOSIS?  A DIAGNOSIS OF FTD SHOWS THERE WAS A MORE SOPHISTICATED PROCESS USED.

I have been in a groove and fear it being changed. I hate being a lab rat with medicine and if a patient refuses to do what the doctor suggests they are considered non-complient. I will take one step at a time.

WHAT HAVE YOU REFUSED TO DO THAT THE DOCTOR ADVISED?

What really scares me is the communication with the doctor. I will be going with my husband and I feel he doesn't know what is going on in my head. 

He is the stereotypical man...NONcommunicative...and that doesn't help in a doctors office with a short time to tell all.IT'S UP TO YOU TO PUT IN CONCISE STATEMENTS. 

WHAT'S GOING ON IN YOUR HEAD?

WRITE IT DOWN AHEAD OF TIME. TAKE A COPY OF IT WITH YOU AND HAND IT TO THE DOCTOR, SAYING : THIS IS IN CASE I FORGET TO TELL YOU SOMETHING IMPORTANT. 

BEGIN YOUR LIST TODAY. THEN WHEN IT'S CLOSE TO THE APPOINTMENT TIME MAKE A CONCISE LIST, MOST IMPORTANT THINGS AT THE TOP.

I guess he and I have to have a heart to heart chat a week before we go. Maybe he can make a list of what he sees going on with me. Here is the problem. I am always in control and trying to keep life normal. He doesn't see how terribly exhausting it is. I am so tired and he lets me sleep all I want, but he doesn't connect that to mental exhaustion.

TELL YOUR HUSBAND WHAT YOU NEED FROM HIM. TELL HIM THE TIME IS APPROACHING WHEN HE WILL BE IN CHARGE. RIGHT NOW HE IS YOUR CARE PARTNER. YOU HAVE TO TELL HIM WHAT YOU NEED

Is it a good challenge to try to keep up with his pace? I have thought so until lately.

YOU MUST SET YOUR OWN PACE.

I haven't made too many mistakes or hurt myself so I guess it's okay  

AND ARE YOU FOLLOWING THE BEST PRACTICES?

RebeccaJ
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:14 AM

I like the idea to start a list today because I started one last week and forgot. I have to find it and keep it in my notebook (where all of my thought are). Three months seems like a lifetime away when a few days are the forecasting limit!

Thanks for you help! Oh, I am the queen of best practices!

Lisa428
Posted: Friday, September 7, 2012 5:37 PM

RebeccaJ

Mimi  has given you some good advice.  Notebooks are an AD Patients's best friend.  It keeps you organized (sort of) and it is a place to write so you don't forget.

I'm sorry you have to wait so long for your appointment.  Please, keep following Best Practices.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa