RSS Feed Print
Losing a Loved One Can Literally Break Your Heart
armhar
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:37 PM

Since many of our friends here discuss how difficult it is to lose a loved one, I wanted to share with you to also watch for your well being, because I am sure some of you may have children, husbands or wives or other responsibilities. Because losing a loved one can literally break your heart if you don't watch your health.

Researchers with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center interviewed approximately 2,000 patients who had suffered a heart attack over a five-year period between 1989 and 1994. The patients were asked a series of questions about potentially triggering events for the cardiac event, including whether or not they had recently lost “a significant person” in their lives. 

Nineteen of the subjects had lost a loved one the day before having a heart attack, and 15 of these had no history of heart disease making the risk of having a cardiac event in the first 24 hours 21 times greater than those not experiencing grief. In the one-week period following the loss, the risk remained high at six to eight times over normal. Thankfully, the heart attack risk slowly declined after about a month.

“Bereavement and grief are associated with increased feelings of depression, anxiety and anger, and those have been shown to be associated with increases in heart rate and blood pressure, and changes in the blood that make it more likely to clot, all of which can lead to a heart attack,” said lead author Elizabeth Mostofsky, MPH., ScD, a research fellow in the department of epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston.

"In addition, emotional distress and bereavement also cause the survivor to temporarily change their lifestyle, such as by forgetting to take medications or failing to exercise and eat right. They also tend to sleep less, another factor known to raise cardiovascular disease risk."

Reference: emaxhealth.com/1506/losing-loved-one-can-literally-break-your-heart

Thus, you may want to take this into consideration and find strength to go on. But I know it's hard.