RSS Feed Print
A Bible Verse for Those who Grieve for a Departed Loved One
LarryD
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:36 AM

Paul speaks of "those who are asleep", referring to those who have "died in Christ". This then is our hope, and salve for our grief........

1 Thessalonians 4:13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.

15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.

16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

18 Therefore comfort one another with these words. 

quits
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:04 PM

I read this when you posted it on the Spouse board. These words are such a balm to my heart for loved ones I have lost. Thanks LarryD for reminding us all how much God loves us!
Needing Support
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 6:42 AM

Larry D,

Thank you for your Bible verses to help give me comfort!  I keep repeating Psalm 23 as well to give me comfort for loosing my dear husband, Jim, on New Years Day!

God Bless You!

Needing Support

George K
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 10:40 AM

Here's another Bible story about seeing our loved ones again:

The Biblical story of the death of King David’s infant son provides Biblical support for our hope that we will see our loved ones again in Heaven. In the book of 2 Samuel, King David has a child with Bathsheba. The baby is seriously ill from birth. For seven days following the baby’s birth, David fasted and prayed without ceasing. We are told that he would not eat, despite the repeated requests from his servants to do so. We are told that he “layed all night on the ground” in ceaseless prayer. 2 Samuel 12:16.

But after seven days of this fasting and praying, his infant son died. David’s servants were initially hesitant of even telling David, believing that he would be so distraught so as to consider suicide. Instead, upon receiving the unwelcome news, David surprised his servants by immediately washing, anointing, going into worship, and taking a meal. The servants wondered why, after feasting and praying during his infant son’s short lifetime, he would act in this manner upon hearing of the news of his son’s death. In response, David tells them, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept, for I said, ‘Who knows whether the Lord will be gracious to me, that the child may live? But now he is dead. Why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.” 2 Samuel 12: 22-23.

Anna-81
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 2:32 PM

Larry D:  Thanks for posting all of the comforting words.  I have been a Christian since I was a small child, and my husband was a wonderful example of how a Christian should live.  He, in my opinion, lived as nearly perfect as one could live.  Everyone respected him:  In business, in church, neighbors, his family adored him.  So I have no doubt in my mind that he is in heaven.  My only concern is that I wish there were comforting words as to how I, as his widow, can regain my place in life.  I am so restless, so lost without someone to love me with all his heart as my husband loved me.  I have no goals, no aims, no ambitions to achieve anything, have to force myself to even arise from sleep in the morning.  My role as a caretaker was very difficult for 5 years and especially the last 3 years, but I loved taking care of my sweetheart, married almost 64 years.  I have searched the Bible for comfort but I have yet to find any.  Some of my friends tell me to read the Bible and pray continuously, but that still does not comfort me.  I long for death, to be with my dear husband, to end my life in some manner that is acceptable, but I don't want to cause my children more undue sorrow.  So I just struggle on.  The two of us became as one--as I believe the Bible indicates that is what marriage should be.  Now I am no longer one, just a fragment of a person who is lost in this big world without a clue as to how I can go on.
LarryD
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 7:55 PM

Anna-81, and others who find themselves at a loss after losing a spouse. We are told to comfort one another as those who have hope in the truth of where they are. It is a difficult journey we are on without the one who was so close for so long. But we have the comfort that the Lord through His Holy Spirit is both with us and in us. I have written on this forum that even though this journey was the hardest thing I have ever done, it is also the best thing I have ever done. I have the assurance that all of it was because of the love that the Lord has for us and the one who has gone to be with Him. 

After my wife passed in July 2014, I called my family together and we celebrated Deane's life. I enjoyed her love for 57 years. After a couple of weeks, I visited my brother in Denver for two weeks and then returned home and re-carpeted and painted the bedroom I had not used for 3 years and moved back in. I joined a local church and volunteered for every job there as I met new friends. It has not been easy and I am still lonely at times but it is getting better. I believe that if the Lord left me here then He still has things for me to learn and do. 

I also communicate with several others who have been through this same journey through email, facebook, and phone. I invite you to join the dialog if you wish. My email is lgdiehl0@gmail.com 

Remember, the Lord loves you so talk to Him. Tell Him how you feel. Yell if it helps but remember that He is with you every step of the way.

I send you blessings and prayer for His peace in your soul.

LarryD

Veterans kid
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 9:21 PM

Thank you, LarryD, for posting this
Still Waters
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:59 PM

Hi Larry. I remember you from the caregivers message board.

The last time I remember seeing you here, you posted about how you were going to paint the house, take photos off of the walls and enjoy a new life. Then you disappeared for about three years.

I wondered about you from time to time. I am surprised to see you.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:14 PM

Dear friend Larry...you were on my mind today...imagine seeing a fresh post. You have been missed!!!

I have found, as perhaps you have, that doing something "new" and being around people who do not know my story is uplifting. When someone does not know I have lost my husband they do not look at me and ask how I am. No, it does not fill the hole but  having a bit to focus on other than my loss  has been healing.

Taking a baby step is not easy and who knows how long it takes each of us to reach the point of actually doing it. How wonderful it is to have each other here who allow us, even encourage us, to take our time.

Please do not stay away again...your experience need to be shared.

Anna..You are deeply wounded and are tucked inside yourself, healing. This is exactly what animal do when they are hurt. Please allow it and do not fear it.

We have you wrapped up in deep friendship with ever so many hugs!

Bjjca
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:17 PM

After my husband died, a year and a half ago, I found another role for myself.  My two granddaughters were in elementary school, going to a daycare program after school since both parents worked.  The girls were tired of it and wanted me to pick them up after school and take them home.  This was a gift.  I love doing this, helping them with their homework, going places, arranging snacks for them, talking to them about their day.  I've never minded being alone, I read quite a bit.  But our house is filled with reminders and ghosts of our happy marriage.  My grandchildren have filled a void.  While I was caring for dh in the last years, I had little time for them, but my new life with them has been wonderful.  I also got a puppy who keeps me company and loves the granddaughters.
dutiful deb
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 11:20 PM

Larry and George--

Both of those Bible passages are among my favorites. I often quote the First Thessalonians passage to myself, as it brings me a great deal of comfort. The 15th chapter of First Corinthians, verses 54-57, is another favorite.

I appreciate seeing your update, Larry. God bless.

George K
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2017 10:20 AM

This isn't a Bible verse, I just happened to read it and thought I'd post it on here...

I remember reading about a Chicago newspaper columnist Bob Greene who wrote about a ten-year-old girl named Sarah whose grandfather had died. Sarah's mother said, "He hadn't been feeling well for sometime. He went to the hospital for some tests. Just to find out what was wrong." He died two weeks later. Sarah was not able to go to the hospital to see her grandfather before he died. She never got the chance to say good-bye. We could tell that she was upset because she didn't see him in those days before he died."

Sarah didn't say much about what she was feeling. One October day she came home from a friend's birthday party with a helium balloon. "She went into the house," her mother said, "when she came back out, she was carrying the balloon--and an envelope."

Inside the envelope was a letter she had written to her grandfather. The envelope was addressed to "Grandpa Bernie, in Heaven Up High." In the letter, Sarah wrote: "Hi, Grandpa. How are you? What's it like up there?" The letter ended with Sarah telling her grandfather that she loved him, and that she hoped somehow he could hear what she was telling him.

In mid-December a letter arrived, addressed to "Sarah and Family." The letter bore a York, Pennsylvania, postmark and had been mailed by a man named Donald Kopp.

The letter began: "Dear Sarah, Family and Friends--Your letter to Grandpa Bernie Meyers apparently reached its destination and was read by him. I understand they can't keep material things up there, so it drifted back to earth. They just keep thoughts, memories, love and things like that."

Donald Kopp is a sixty-three-year-old retired receiving clerk who just happens to be a grandfather too.

Veterans kid
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2017 11:13 AM

Oh wow!  I love this story!  
George K
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 6:17 AM

This is not a Bible verse, but the concept helps me...
File Attachment(s):
afterlifey.jpg (54458 bytes)

George K
Posted: Sunday, April 9, 2017 4:39 AM

“The reality is we will grieve forever. We will not 'get over' the loss of a loved one; we will learn to live with it. We will heal and we will rebuild ourselves around the loss we have suffered. We will be whole again but we will never be the same, nor should we want to be.”

Elizabeth Kubler-Ross 

Be Strong 2
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 8:25 PM

Waiting for that day, and the sound of the trumpet.

Bob  

Wuvely1
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 8:37 PM

Hello,

I am a studier of Paul's writing and thanks for reminding me.  This is my first time here on this but I lost my Mother Dec. 29, 2015.  I was her caregiver since her diagnosis June 2012.  My heart constantly hurts.  Everyday I think about her.  I can't seem to heal.  I have not touch her room.  All of her clothes, shoes, and hats are in the same place.  My father passed away August 1989.

I have a family of my own husband of 28 years, a 25 year son and daughter-in-law that have given me 6 grand babies also I have a 22 year college senior daughter but I feel so very lonely.