RSS Feed Print
Clearing out and dividing up the house...
Oceanbum
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:44 AM

I'm at that sad time where we are clearing out and dividing up the household possessions of my parents. It hasn't been a bad experience so far. We've laughed, we've cried, we've walked down memory lane. But it's just so sad and something I never thought about having to do. I have discovered that my parents never threw away a single, solitary thing in the entire 58 years of marriage!! Lol We've discovered just about all of our report cards from elementary school, my Mom's baby book (which I now own and treasure), clothes I wore in junior high school (in the 70's so yes, you can imagine!!!), Christmas cards from years and years back, every little trinket, gadget or figurine ever given to them for Christmas, birthday, Mother's or Father's Day, you name it and it's probably there ~ in the basement!! No, they weren't hoarders. You could move around the house just fine.

The real thought that has crossed my mind ~ someday MY children will be doing this very same thing at MY house!! YIKES!!! I feel bad for them. Maybe I'll start cleaning, sorting and throwing out NOW!!!

farawaydaughter
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:15 AM

Sounds like our parents were alike. My parents saved everything as well, and even though it wasn't a true hoarder house, it was just a very organized hoard! Every drawer, cupboard, and just space was used. They both were creative and they both "collected" things as well. But it was all neatly displayed (even though you couldn't play pool any more as dads 2600 cannons lined the walls floor to ceiling).

So yes, do your kids a favor and minimize. Give them things now if you feel they can be responsible about it. My friends parents were minimalists so she didn't really have much to sort through. My parents were collectors.

I have my baby book, I have the cards folks sent to mom when she had me, even one diorama card with puppies and kittens (no wonder I am the animal lover). I too have all my report cards, etc.

We even had every tax form from 1945 on! omg

It is bittersweet.

Oceanbum
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:24 AM

Yes, I haven't even gotten to the paperwork portion of the house yet. That will be my job when everything else is done. I know every check ever written, every tax form ever filed is in that house.

Then there will be the job of the pictures. It will be job to sort through all of the pictures and divide them up among the 4 kids and 10 grandkids. I have already decided if you appear alone in a picture it will go in your pile to be given to you. If you appear in a group that picture will be scanned and I at some point will e-mail you a Snapfish album for you to print out or save or whatever you wish to do with it at that point. It is a HUGE undertaking and will take me quite a bit of time to get done. But I told them that's how it will be done. I'm not going to the expense of printing out pictures for everybody. That's what Snapfish is for. It will be so much easier for me to just scan an album and e-mail it. Then you choose what you want to do. Everybody seemed ok with that. So hopefully they will be once I get it all done ~ and have burned up about 14 scanners!!

KML
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:26 PM

Oceanbum:

You're progressing faster than I am in this regard. My father passed away almost three years it will be this May 22. We've only seriously made an effort to empty the house recently. It's under the direction of sibling and on sibling's timetable. We're trying to find homes for the furniture. I've taken some small pieces, and we've given away bedroom furniture and had a garage sale and have donated some things. My parents kept everything, too, neatly though and pretty well organized. Just a lot of things, lots of pictures and that gives me a good idea about Snapfish. What kind of scanner do you use? I think I'll need to invest in one. I don't want to make copies of the pictures that's pretty time consuming.

I like to be in their home by myself, I cry sometimes and talk to my parents without having someone else being there and giving me looks. I prefer to sort and clean when I'm alone, I feel I can be respectful towards theirs home that they loved and I say my goodbyes, little by little. It's hard doing this part, too.

Oceanbum
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:45 AM

Well, we decided to get an early start actually because all 3 of my brothers had the week between Christmas and New Year's off and we decided to use that week as a starting point. It just seemed to make sense to start then since 3 out of 4 of us were available.

The scanner I have is nothing fancy. I just have an all-in-one color printer/scanner. I think the one I have now is a Canon. I've had an HP and an Epson in the past. But I really like this Canon. It's very easy to use and produces a good quality image. I got it at Office Max.

I'm trying my best to get things done according to Dad's wishes. He had a funeral insurance policy and had me as the beneficiary so I could get that taken care of for him. He told me the things that he wanted me and each of my brothers to have. And he told me how he wanted things divided. He told me where all of the accounts were, and had me added to the checking, savings and safe deposit box to make that an easy transition. He had taken me to meetings with his financial advisor so I was aware of his annuities and how they were to be divided. He had everything pretty much ready to go and ready for me to just step in and take over for him. So since he had things prepared for me I'm doing everything I can to honor him and his wishes. I am the youngest and he always called me his "baby girl" so I want to do everything I can to make sure I make him proud!

KML
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:58 PM

Oceanbum:

Thanks for the tip on the scanner. You're parents were and are proud of you.

Oceanbum
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 8:30 AM

Thanks KML! I hope so!