RSS Feed Print
Mom's death certificates arrived
300sun
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 9:58 PM

The death certificates arrived a month after my Mom died. Our county was out of the proper stock paper, so the state issued the certificates, which took longer.

Respiratory failure was cause of death. Followed by diastolic heart failure and coronary heart disease. Dementia wasn't mentioned, not a surprise since it was not the reason for Hospice approval.

I was so worried I would die before her and she would end up in a nursing home. I am thankful that wasn't the case.

A neighbor was walking her dogs with mine and I told her I was surprised to feel so bad after such a protracted illness. I expected to feel relief and a sense of freedom and lightness.

It's odd, I was the one who ended up caring for Mom, with my spouse' loving help and support. It was logistically and financially the only choice. I didn't want to take on the role and stay home and eventually be shut in with her, but I knew it was the only way.

People ask me what I'm going to do and when will I go back to work. I worked over 6 years with no time off, no vacations and very little respite. I'm going to take time off and figure out what to do next.

I also have to get a heart ablation to correct SVT that I have from time to time. I don't want the procedure, but I also don't want to take daily meds for the rest of my life.

Lesley Jean
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 3:36 PM

I am still waiting for the results of the autopsy. I don't know how I will feel if the cause was from his fall. I do believe with all my heart that it was the fall and concussion that sped up his death. But, at least I will know. 

Hugs, 

LJ

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 5:25 PM

I am not looking at the certificate.
300sun
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 5:33 PM

Lesley, 

I feel for you having to wait for the autopsy results. I hope the falls didnt contribute to his death, it would be a lot to handle.

I think today has been one of the first days I don't feel the fresh pain of my mothers passing. It's been nice to not feel terrible for a change.

Whatever the results, you have support from your Alz.org online friends.

Patrick

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 10:02 PM

Hi,

It took me weeks before I could look at Charles, death certificate.  I still avoid it. It came from the funeral home and they had told me what was on it 

Because she's my mom!
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 3:23 PM

The cause of death on my sweet mom's death certificate says Alzheimer's Disease. And that is exactly what took her life, after 12 sad years. She had no other health issues.
socwkr
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 5:41 PM

Hi, there.  When my husband passed due to pneumonia, I got on the phone to his MD and was really adamant that he list Alzheimer's as the primary cause of his death.  I read somewhere that the number of deaths related to Alzheimer's ought to be higher, but MDs will put down the cause such as pneumonia, heart disease, etc.  I know it's a small thing to do, but I wanted my husband's death to be counted when the government is doling out money for Alzheimer's research.