RSS Feed Print
Last words
blfbrat
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:07 AM

I was wondering what everyone's experiences were for the last word our loved ones spoke to you.

For years we have had a four car garage my husband parked  all of his cars I was never allowed to park a car in there even though I was the one that got up and went to work in the morning and it was many a cold morning .  I used to tease my husband when he passed away I was taking his ashes and parking my car in the garage and Do a now the garage belongs to me dance.

He had not spoken in several days and his grandson was visiting I explained to his grandson that there would be no funeral grandpa didn't want one and the only  ceremony would be me parking in the garage and doing the dance all of a sudden my husband starts to speak. He says like hell you'll park in the garage.   To the very end he was who he was .  

I had hoped for loving final words but this is so like him that I have to laugh when I think about it.

socwkr
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:40 AM

The day before my husband passed, the nurse was wheeling him into his room to get him ready for bed.  Mary accidentally bumped Dickson's wheelchair into the door frame, and he remarked, "you've a terrible driver".  This was a man who lost all his language skills and just talked gibberish.  Wow, we really laughed when he said that!

I learned in Buddhism that our brains take care of our bodily functions.  However, it's our mind where our true spirit is always present.  I always believed that while Dickson's brain was so damaged that he lost his language skills, his mind (or spirit or heart chakra) which is the true essence of who they are as human beings, was always there.  It just happened that the synapses were working at that particular time, and Dickson's snarky personality came through.  

Thanks for sharing your experience with your husband.  It brought back a good memory for me.

Hugs, Debra.

Bjjca
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:46 AM

On the day before my husband died, he appeared unconscious.  I was holding his hand while talking to our daughter.  My husband stirred, I bent over him and told him I was here and that I loved him.  He lifted my hand and kissed it.  That beautiful, little gesture meant more to me than anything he would have said.  My daughter and I both cried.  But it's the most precious memory I have.
bela
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 9:47 PM

Dear Debra;

I agree with the buddist explanation you provided; the brain isn't functioning so things might not click as needed...but even if it did the damage to the language speaking part of the brain (speech) is also damage...I therefore know they are in there with thoughts and certainly feelings and emotions

Mom was saying even on the day she died that she loved me...its very interesting that there were so many things she couldn't say but she could definately say these!

Such a mystery

Such a loss for us all

bela