RSS Feed Print
discover poem
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 7:09 PM

I discovered only after my husband's death that he wrote beautifully. Here is a poem stumbled upon.

We’ll Go to Venice 

We’ll go to Venice, you and I

In the winter, when no one else is there.

We’ll sip a Turkish coffee and shiver among the pigeons,

You and I alone, in Saint Mark’s Square.

We’ll brave the bitter wind, cold off the Adriatic,

In a vaporetto or walking here and there.

We’ll take a room in a small hotel, over the Grand Canal,

Shuttered windows, opened to the air.

And I’ll stand at the window and look out at Venice and the canal,

And you’ll ask “What’s the matter, why do you stare?”

And “Is everything all right?” But I’ll only say

“Nothing, nothing at all. It’s just that I am dying dear.”

No, we’ll never go to Venice, you and I.

In winter, or in any other time of year.

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 7:59 PM

Oh Wow!!!!

And others assume that we people with Dementia are in Never-never land. Never assume that are thinking nothing.

Thank You!!!!  Can you frame it?  What a love there was between you!!!

His Daughter
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 7:13 AM

jfkoc,

That really is beautiful.  And it so clearly points to his understanding and awareness of his illness.  As well as the regret he felt for his loss of that special time he wanted with you. 

My husband and I did go to Venice, walked the cobbled streets, sat in St. Mark's square, and did a gondola ride in the Grand Canal.  Your husbands beautiful words reminds me how lucky we are.  As nothing ever lasts forever. 

Thanks for sharing this.  I'm thinking of you.

A losing hand.
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 7:57 AM

He must of been one hell of a guy. Took a lot of guts to write that.

Good luck, take care of yourself,

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 2:34 PM

Hi Judith,

What a beautifully written poem.  I can only imagine how you must have felt when you found and read it.  I know I cried and I bet you shed some tears, too.

Do you have and indication of when Dick wrote it?  What a treasure.  I know you'll cherish it forever.

surfergirl
Posted: Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:53 PM

I can only add a double WOW!
jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, June 2, 2016 8:24 PM

No, I do not know when it was written. I found journals and "memoirs" that have left me feeling that I hardly knew my husband.
Because she's my mom!
Posted: Friday, June 3, 2016 12:57 AM

Wow! Your hubby's poem says so much, and so beautifully. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Veterans kid
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2016 12:08 AM

Oh my gosh!   I'm sure that must've made you cry, feel joy and probably 15 other emotions at the same time. I agree I think that says a lot about Alzheimer's and what our love ones can understand. I think it's a beautiful gift  Dick gave to you. What a treasure
bela
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2016 12:17 AM

Wow.  Thank you for sharing.
Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 9:04 AM

Judith; I am stunned by the beauty of this.  It took my breath and I am humbled.  This is a wonderful, wonderful piece of writing that shines in his communication of crystal clear thinking and in the purity of his words; it really lets us see into the mind of this brilliant man where his most inner self lay. 

Since you have as you say, more of his writings, it may be that a collection of them would make a marvelous book.   Personally, I would love to read more of what he wrote.

I do not say any of this lightly; it truly is extraordinary. 

J.

Lesley Jean
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:19 PM

This brought tears to my eyes. We went to Venice in the winter.  It was February. The ship, USS Theodore Roosevelt, pulled in for a week of Liberty in Italy.  We were able to visit Venice, Rome and Florance.  It was on our bucket list to see the Vatican, the leaning tower of Piza and the statue of David. 

Today, when I visited Jerry's grave, I realized that we didn't get to do our Alaskan cruise and land tour. I was very depressed. Your post made me realize how blessed I am to have done so many things we had dreamed of doing together. thank you for making me know how blessed I really am. 

Hugs, 

LJ