RSS Feed Print
The things people ask
BeDo
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 2:55 PM

My Jim has only been gone 5 months and I've been pressured to sell my home, I've been asked to join a singles group and yesterday my neighbor asked if I plan to remarry !! I was married at 16 and we had 51 years together. Why on earth would they ask such a questions? I don't know how to answer them and and not sound mean. So I just say what I think after all they do.
jfkoc
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 4:14 PM

I have some understanding about the selling of the home....I am now somehow unable to take care of it. How about answering that you are staying put so please "pray for me". Singles group? " How do you think that would benefit me?" Remarry? "Yeah, to a billionaire 20 years my junior who is a really good dancer, know anyone like that?" That ought to get an interesting reaction...lol

What do people think? Really!!!

eaglemom
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 8:44 AM

I wonder if people aren't saying these things simply because they don't know what to say? They feel they need to say something, and don't realize how incredibly insensitive their words really are.  Words can hurt deeper than actions, or so I've found.

As for a response, walking away would work. But if comments are made on the phone a simple "really? Your asking me that? I need to hang up now" and hang up. You own no explanation to anyone.

I'm sorry for people's insensitivity. 

eagle

Veterans kid
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 9:36 AM

People DON'T think. 

Mostly I believe their intentions are good, they may not know what to say.

Some, as we've all experienced, are just plain nosy and busybodies who don't seem to be happy unless they are causing drama.

I hope this story makes you smile.

6 months, to the day, mind you - after my mom died.  The ladies are church decided it was time for my dad to "get back out there and see who was gonna snag him".  I guess they thought six months was long enough to to grieve and now was an appropriate time to make their move.

He talked about how they had cornered him in the cloakroom at church.  A good friend of dads and mine asked dad "well, what did you do?"

My dad said " I stopped wearing my coat!" .   Lol lol lol!

That, was one of the millions of wonderful, humorous things about my dad. 

Wommant
Posted: Thursday, September 8, 2016 1:22 PM

I'm so sorry about all of you.. my grandpa is in a bad condition and I can't imagine to lose him, unfortunately i know that sooner or later it will happen, and i feel already bad...