RSS Feed Print
A letter to my mom
TeriBennett
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 3:28 PM

George was a caregiver who lost his wife to AD last winter.  One of his daughters wrote this letter to her mother not long before she died.  George asked that I share this letter with you.

Dear Mom,

I have asked Ora if she would read this letter to you on my behalf as I am unable to be at your side.  As you begin to leave us and join Mama and Aunt Ivy, I wanted to say how lucky I am to have had you as my mother.  I cherish all of the time we spent together.  From our train trip up to Vermont to our commuter days taking the bus and subway to DC to work or the Saturdays spent at the hairdresser’s and then going shopping and having lunch afterwards.  Even though you will be leaving us, your spirit will live on through me.  I think of you every day and wish I could pick up the phone and talk to you.  I was so lucky to have been able to do so for so many years.  So many of my friends from college lost their mothers at an earlier age.

I am glad that I was able to see you back in December.  I will never forget the day I said goodbye to you on December 4th.  I knew it would probably be the last time I would see you.  You had a lovely smile on your face, happy to have spent time with both me and Michael along with Dad.

I want to thank you for introducing Garrison to jazz at such an early age.  The first time he visited Harrison Manor Dr. at three years old and walked inside you were playing Gene Harris on the Bose CD player.  I believe it was Summertime by Gene Harris that inspired Garrison to become a piano player.  He has blossomed into such a good musician, not only playing the piano but also taking up the drums and the bass guitar.  He also spends his time composing music.  You would be so proud of him.  He often speaks about how much he liked spending time at the Harrington Manor Dr. house.  He said it was so welcoming and “homey”.

It is very difficult writing this letter to you.  The tears are rolling down my eyes.  Yes, they are tears of sadness, but they are also tears of joy as you will finally be at peace.  Mom, I love you very much.  You will be missed but never forgotten.

Your loving daughter, friend and confidant.

Barbara Ann