RSS Feed Print
It has been one year
acb10
Posted: Saturday, April 8, 2017 11:34 AM

Well, the 1 year marker has passed.  My beloved mother passed away on april 2, 2016, was buried with my father at the veteran's cemetery on april 8 and we had a memorial service at church on april 9.  These past 12 months have gone by very fast - either that or I've been in a fog.  Maybe it is a little of both.  I've been going to monthly bereavement meetings, have gone away a few times, I've organized about 2/3 of mum's apartment.  I've cried here and there, I miss her so much.  But, she was 88 years old, lived a marvelous life until the final years with that dreadful Alzheimer's disease and I am very lucky to have had her around for so long.  I'm still waiting to have dreams with her in them, I'm waiting for the daffodils to bloom in the garden that I planted to remind me of her love of garden and I'm slowly trying to remember all our good days and years without focusing on those last dreadful sickly years.  I can hear her voice, but I also still see her as she took her last breath.  It weighs on me.  I must move forward.  I must finish cleaning out her apartment. I have a lot to do to carry on. I know she would say to me to just get on with it.  I hear her saying it.

april

George K
Posted: Sunday, April 9, 2017 4:51 AM

Hey April, I don't really have anything comforting to say.  I like your idea of planting daffodils to remember your mom.  I'm gonna do something similar, but I don't know what to do right now. 

I'm totally lost about what to say, so I'm just gonna wish you peace of mind and peace of heart, along with a bunch of daffodil blooms.

Veterans kid
Posted: Sunday, April 9, 2017 1:46 PM

Hi April!

I'm just a few months ahead of you, friend. 

I can hear my dad saying that too.  Slowly making changes in the house so it's more "me" and not my parents house that I see everywhere I look.  It's hard...

I'd moved back with my dad to take care of mom-that was 21 years ago.

The daffodils are a wonderful idea!!!

Hope this story makes you smile...

My dad would sometimes get words wrong, not because of Alzheimer's-he just did. It was a long running joke.

One spring, he was on the phone with daugher in law.  She asked if flowers were coming up yet.  Dad said yes, the daffodils and carcasses are!   . He meant crocus!  Oh my!!

I laughter SOOOO hard!    

I couldn't smile last spring- too fresh-, but this year when I saw them, my heart smiled! Those wonderful memories  are slowly starting to take over  instead of the most recent years. Are you taking a lot of pictures of Dad in the  last few years, many of them I can put on here. He slowly, ever so slowly, do our hearts begin to heal and all of those memories of them while they were prisoner to Alz,   Take there place in the back of our memory and all of the ones that we have a lifetime of-the laughter, the good memories, even getting grounded   

Will overcome and shadow out and the others .

I'm sending you endless hugs, daffodils, crocus, and tulips, and while you are enjoying those, have a pop tart or two!!!!!

Julie 

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:21 AM

Thinking of you...