RSS Feed Print
The never-Ending aftermath
caryg37
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 8:46 PM

Good evening, I'm new here. I was caregiver to my mom who passed away on February 26th, 2013 after a four year battle. There were times when I was certain that she would outlive me because my blood pressure was constantly at a dangerously high level. Mom was my best friend, my soulmate, my life. And I was her world until dad passed away in 2008 and her mind left with him.

The first episode happened one Sunday evening when we were quietly watching TV and she began to anxiously look out the window....and began to ask me why her daughter wasn't home yet. I'm an only child, you see. Not knowing a thing about dementia, I tried to make her understand that I was right there but she started to get agitated to the point where I had to call 911. 

The paramedics checked her out, all vitals were fine and that's when they told me: that's dementia. Don't contradict her, don't try to make her understand, in her mind right now, her "daughter" is probably 20+ years younger. Just distract her gently until it passes.

For four years, I distracted her during these episodes. I devised all kinds of ways to deal with this monster that had stolen my loving mother away from me and replaced her with someone who often didn't recognize me and when she did, she despised me. Her suffering finally ended four years later. And four years after she passed, there isn't a moment I don't miss her and need her, even if she resented me for caring for her, feeding her, bathing her.

I am writing a book that will feature most of the saga with mom and dementia and would very much like to donate 50% of the proceeds to Alzheimer's research in her memory. If someone from ALZ could please contact me, I would like permission to add the ALZ logo to my book and the mention of the 50% of proceeds going to ALZ.

This is the last picture I took of us, two weeks before I lost her and half my soul left with her.

File Attachment(s):
IMG_8588.JPG (69113 bytes)

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 8:24 AM

Welcome to our world, Caryg.

Please use the Contact Us button at the top for help with your question on the use of the 

Alzheimer's Logo.