RSS Feed Print
43 years
Crushed
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 4:25 AM

We just had DWs 66th Birthday party at the MC.  She had a great time.  I told everyone that it was the biggest birthday party she ever had.  I brought pretty clothes and jewelry and several large cakes.  We played her favorite music.  I told lots of funny stories about her and she seemed to remember them, or at least me telling them. She always laughs when I tell people  that she described me in 1971 as a  "drunken bum with lecherous intentions".   

I  always point out that I stopped drinking. 

Next week is our 43rd wedding anniversary. 

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 9:42 AM

do we get a party pic???
SugarSmacks
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 11:06 AM

Congratulations!  Sweet story.
surfergirl
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 6:15 PM

Crushed,
You"re the best, your DW is very lucky to have you .

All  the best too you both, sending healing thoughts

Surfergirl
Crushed
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 7:54 PM

Ok so we had our 43rd anniversary "trip".   For various reasons Memorial day weekend is a dead weekend for suburban hotels. I knew I could not bring her home but a nearby hotel was the  next best thing.  So I made a deal with our very nice and accommodating Marriott to have a very nice room for the day.  I told the manager we had stayed at the Marriott at Dulles airport the day we got married.  They LOVED the story and could not have been nicer.   They removed or covered the mirrors in the room , set up a lovely dining table for us, gave us a 10 AM  check in and  gave us the direct manager's number in case we had any needs. I brought all of DWs favorite foods from salmon to cannoli.  I connected the computer to the TV and watched our family movies. I had her in a  dress with earrings etc.  I told her endless funny and racy stories about us.  She could nap when she was tired and eat with her fingers.  About 5 pm she "ran out of gas"  and I could see she was starting to slip out of reality.  So I packed her up and she was back in 15 minutes. but she had had hours and hours of my attention and loved it
elainechem
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 8:03 PM

A hotel room for the day, that sounds like a great idea. Our first grandbaby is due in just 10 days. It's a 6 1/2 hour car trip. I'm kind of sweating it. We haven't gone anywhere overnight in three years and he has declined a lot since then. I plan to go for at least one night, more if he's up to it. I'm playing it by ear. 
bhv
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 8:23 PM

Crushed,

This is such a.beautiful and creative idea! I am putting it in my repertoire of things to try as.time goes by. Thank you for sharing.

I have been pleasantly surprised at the way some businesses.are willing to help me when I say hb has alzheimers and I need to know how to do such.and such, or find such and such. I am toying with trying to take him to a hotel but really being nervous about it. I can hook my computer up to the tv and show his pictures and play his music. I recently scanned some pictures from VietNam and Air Force.days. He likes when I tell the flying stories and how we met on the staircase of a KC10 - some of those are baudy stories like yours.

You really made a special anniversary day for both of you. You deserve a.medal too.

Ed1937
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 8:44 PM

What a great idea! I'm glad it worked out well.
Ricki07
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 9:46 PM

Crushed...you are the best!

What a wonderful day you gave your wife.

eaglemom
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 9:42 AM

Making new memories and sharing old ones.........that's what its all about. 

Thanks for sharing with us and what a wonderful idea about the hotel.

eagle

Katy sue
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 9:56 AM

Even if it’s only you who remembers, you always have given her the best.