RSS Feed Print
At risk for Alzheimer’s
Amelillo99
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2020 10:00 AM

Can someone explain this article for me it says that they estimated the risk for familiam ad in relatives of Probandswith age at onset before the age of 58 and after the age of 58. does it mean that the offspring of early onset Alzheimer’s has a lifetime risk of 53% or does it mean that only the offspring of the familial form has that percentage?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2314579/

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2020 12:18 PM

These kinds of studies tax the mind, in part because the authors are not using precise language.  Even though these authors mention Familial Alzheimer's Disease later in the abstract, they seem to be saying that the risk for developing Alzheimer's disease among offspring in all early onset Alzheimer's disease families is 53%.
Amelillo99
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2020 3:48 AM

so they say even if there is a person with sporadic early onset Alzheimer’s the offspring has a 53% chance of developing the disease? And they estimated the lifetime risk for the offspring among older onset patients is 86% what’s very high and I can’t imagine that the chance is that high and that’s why I’m not sure if they are talking about the pure familial type or about all types. And the authors said that the early onset group represents a autosomal dominant pattern what actually means that it has to be familial.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2020 10:36 AM

The problem it turns out is me and not the authors.  They are talking about the offspring of Familial Alzheimer's Disease (somehow I missed the first line of the abstract).  86% still seems high.
Amelillo99
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2020 2:06 PM

And what i don’t really understand, they say the at risk offspring have a 64% lifetime risk by age 87. But what do they mean with offspring? Because I’m not sure if they mean the  affected persons with offspring or if they mean the offspring of the 541 affected person, because the affected 541 persons also had demented parents an  then the term familial alzheimers  would make sense. And what are they trying to find out with the 70 kindreds because how can they find out they’re lifetime risk if they are already affected? So the whole article is very complicated for me and it would be very nice if anyone of your can explain it to me.
Monti00
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 5:34 AM

Just like you it think the study is very difficult to understand maybe it’s because English is not my native language. But it would be great if someone can explain what Amelillo99 asked
Daniel0910
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 3:26 PM

Im not sure what they mean with At risk offspring. Maybe they are talking about the affected and unaffected persons but it could also be that they mean the offspring of the persons.