RSS Feed Print
The move
KawKaw
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2020 12:53 PM

Moving day is fast approaching: Tuesday.  Election Day! 

It will take two days.  The truck and workers will pick up everything Tuesday morning and deliver it on Wednesday afternoon at the new place.

I have been packing, sorting, cleaning and fulfilling daily and extra obligations.

I don't dare wish it was all over.  That would be wishing away days of my life.

I do wish the discomfort was reduced, though.  I am making it as easy for myself as I can so that stress doesn't impact by ability to function more than I can manage to accommodate.

Essentially, each day, I am done with anything I need to think about by 3pm.  The rest of the afternoon and evening, I float through my usual routine.

I have overdone with socially distanced contact with friends and family who are sad I am leaving the local area.  It is hard when people want time from me when I have so much to do.

I used to enjoy being in a new place.  The stimulation of a new environment was pleasant.

I am looking forward to a change, but am not confident of my ability to comfortably weather it with MCI.

Not easy to let go and accept that I cannot predict my responses as I once did. 

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2020 11:58 PM

We say Bon Voyage when one goes on a trip, but there's no saying for a move.  So I'll make one up.  Bon Move, KawKaw!  Have a good move.  You are doing great, step-by-step!  I am impressed by all you have acomplished.  Keep going!  

Iris

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 12:17 PM

I'm thinking of you today, KawKaw, as you move.  Will you wake up tomorow in your new home?  

Iris

KawKaw
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 5:03 PM

Thank you for the good wishes, Iris!

We did not sleep in our new house until Thursday.  The drive was too distant to make it in one day after the exhaustion of moving.

It is now Tuesday, a week after moving day, and we are settling in.

I have been able to nap again in the afternoon for several days.  

This morning, I took one of the dogs for a jog instead of a walk.  Getting back into my routine.  

We have turned out attention to caring for my father in law in his home.  Soon we will begin to move him over to our house.  He is not actively interested in moving to our house.  On his good days, he will consider it and even start packing.

On less good days, he thinks he is packing up to be deployed.  (He is a combat veteran).

He loves having our big dogs in his house, though, when we come by.  We hope that his attachment to them might slightly ease the trauma of the move.  They are a very strong attraction for him.

Now that we have internet in the house, I can visit here again.  I have missed everyone!

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 11:31 PM

Oh, the adventure of a new home!  You sound like you and the dogs are settling in fine.  I'm happy you all are doing so well.  

Iris

abc123
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 11:37 PM

Hi KawKaw!  I hope things are going smoothly for you. I hope you give us an update soon.

PS What breed of dogs do you have? I love big dogs the most! I have a large pit/hound mix and an American Bull. They are fabulous!

KawKaw
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 1:53 PM

Thank you, abc123!

I have an adult husky/malamute mix and an elderly German Shepherd.  Your pups sound terrific!

I have been unpacking, setting up services and starting with weekly cleaning.

Last night, my FIL decided he wanted to finally come to the new house.  He spent the night.  He might be here permanently, which was the point of moving.

We are taking it moment to moment.