RSS Feed Print
Mask Miracle
Crushed
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 2:24 PM

I wear hearing aids and glasses.  So regular masks make my glasses fog up and pull my hearing aids off .  So I consulted the the brains in my family (AKA my sisters) and among us we came up with a solution. (Well they came up with a solution and I built it )

It required three separate purchases from Amazon

1) cloth masks with long cords behind the ears
2) spring toggles to hold the cord
3) something called a "lipstick protector"  which is a soft plastic frame that goes inside the mask and keeps the mask off your face.  it also pushes nose exhalation downward.

Assembly required cutting the shoelace style cord at an angle and feeding it through the toggle , but then the assembly worked perfectly.  It might also be better for patients. 

Green Atmos 5 Pack Assorted Colors 2 ply soft tieable washable reusable unisex Protective Face Mask 2 color reversible Recycled Cotton eco friendly Ma

3D mask bracket Nose pads Face Mask Inner Support Frame Homemade Cloth Mask Lipstick Protector Protection for- Cool Silicone Bracket- More Space for C

40 PCS Plastic Cord Locks Double Hole Toggle Stopper Plastic Spring Fastener for Drawstring Shoelaces Clothing Backpack Bags (Black)

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 2:56 PM

now can we have a selfie with all of that on...lol
Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 3:06 PM

Holy catamaran Batman!!  We do indeed need a picture of all of that in place on Mr. Crushed.

One thing:  The lipstick guards; I've seen some warnings about the fit of the mask when using these guards as sometimes, with some masks, the guard hinders a snug fit of the mask around the sides of the face; just a quick check to ensure that all is snug and safe - then you are ready to leap tall buildings at a single bound and be faster than a speeding bullet, and . . . oh wait; that's Superman . . . well; one hero at a time methinks.   Batman's outfit is much cooler.

J.

J.

zauberflote
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 5:45 PM

Talk about genius! Thank you for posting that Crushed! I have been wanting those little spring toggles since masks first came in but you have kindly delivered a link right into my hot little hands. I will also perhaps get some fabric shoelaces and retrofit our masks. I also put a pack of your masks in my cart-- recycled cotton is sure to be pre-shrunk, unlike every mask I've ever been given or bought. The ability to put the mask in the dryer will be liberating!

Draw silly glasses and moustache on your face-pic to thwart facial recognition and give us a selfie

Donr
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 6:03 PM

Crush,  Great idea and I presume that you will be splitting the profits with the family.

Crushed
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 8:04 PM

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 10:12 PM

Ach der lieber!  Is Herr Crushed mit der lederhosen, or . . . . is he in the Sherwood Forest?   Inquiring minds want to know.

Something does indeed seem to be afoot.  What a fashion statement!  I am impressed or is that depressed, suppressed, or oppressed?  Haven't figured it out yet.   Looking good.  I think.  Maybe. 

J.

Crushed
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 10:56 PM

Jo C. wrote:

Ach der lieber!  Is Herr Crushed mit der lederhosen, or . . . . is he in the Sherwood Forest?   Inquiring minds want to know.

Something does indeed seem to be afoot.  What a fashion statement!  I am impressed or is that depressed, suppressed, or oppressed?  Haven't figured it out yet.   Looking good.  I think.  Maybe. 

J.

I was Little John for Halloween .

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 7:55 AM

All kidding aside, how does it feel to you; is it reasonably comfortable?   With the raised lip shield, does the mask remain stable when talking and stay snug down the sides of the face?

This was quite a coup of creativity; what clever sisters you have.  Will wait to hear your assessment.

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 11:05 AM

looking great!
zauberflote
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 12:29 PM

Jo nailed it! Do you zip it in a bag to wash it?
Crushed
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 1:23 PM

zauberflote wrote:
Jo nailed it! Do you zip it in a bag to wash it?

Actually I have washed all my masks in the pockets of my cotton jersey shorts.  But not on purpose.  but they seem to do fine. 

amicrazytoo
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 2:15 PM

Wow! I am impressed!, Please tell your sisters "Thank you!"

And thanks to you for sharing!

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 10:25 PM

Okay.   You have put the miracle mask with its raised silicone device through its first days - questions:

- Does it stay in place when you are talking?

- Does the silicone device cause any gaps at any of the four sides of the mask?

- Is it comfortable enough to enable you to use it for a length of time without difficulty?

Thanks for the information,

J.

Crushed
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 4:02 AM

I have not had to wear it for more than 10 minutes at a time but it seems to do fine. I am working on some kind of removable attachment between the guard and maks

I was busy yesterday.   I made a 23 pound turkey to share, (wore gloves and disposable masks)

mashed white and sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce , key lime pie  and chicken.  Sent out dinners in little boxes.  Note for Turkey cooks since I did not need a turkey that looked pretty. I cooked it "breast side down"  came out great.  

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 11:40 AM

breast side down is good...our butcher said he never cooks a whole turkey....he cut mine up and gave meinstructions....best turkey ever!