RSS Feed Print
CoVid Vaccine
Wish2Roam
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 6:37 PM

Now that Pfizer has submitted to FDA for Emergency Use Approval (and Moderna likely not too far behind), I was wondering....

Are you planning to get the vaccine if it's approved, and when it's available to you?  Just curious what everyone thinks.

Joe C.
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 6:45 PM

As soon as possible. I volunteered for the Phase 3 trials, Moderna reached out to me but turned me down because my life style was not high risk enough.
Wish2Roam
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 6:53 PM

Joe C, that's so funny.  I think I'd get a quick NO too from the trials based on my lifestyle.  No contact Grocery pick-up at Wal-Mart once a week hardly qualifies as high risk.

But, you know, I've been lamenting to friends about how DH dementia has changed me.  I take NO risk at all now and I think it's the weight of the responsibility of who would care for DH if I got sick.  I'm the same lady who flew to Ireland to see my family shortly after 9/11 and never gave it a second thought.  Now, I barely leave the house.

Like you, I'm ready for that vaccine.

Ed1937
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 6:54 PM

We'll take it as soon as we can get it.
Stuck in the middle
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 6:58 PM

Of course.  I can't die now, I have work to do.
M1
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 8:51 PM

Yes, definite, asap. I tried to volunteer also and was turned down. But am helping my county give flu shots and am doing paperwork for Covid testing (not actually doing testing, just computer data entry at the drivethrough site). May alsobe part of the effort to roll out the vaccine to first responders next month and therefore am hoping for early access.
Rick4407
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 8:58 PM

I was extremely skeptical before, September and October,  recently I've gained more confidence that the process has been done correctly.   Of course I remain pretty doubtful that we'll be on the list very early, our lifestyle (as wish2roam mentioned), reduces our risk considerably.   Rick
Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 10:19 PM

Thus far, everything I have read indicates the vaccine will be given in a tiered four level phase approach:

A tiered approach

The US National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine has proposed a five-phase plan to fairly allocate a coronavirus vaccine to US residents.

Phase 1

Health-care workers and first responders (5%)

Phase 2

People with underlying conditions that put them at high risk of severe COVID-19 disease or death, and older adults in densely populated settings (10%)

Phase 3

Essential service workers at high risk of exposure, teachers and school staff, people in homeless shelters and prisons, older adults who have not already been treated and people with underlying conditions that put them at moderate risk (30–35%)

Phase 4

Young adults, children and essential service workers at increased risk of exposure (40–45%)

Phase 5

All remaining residents (5–15%)

60 falcon
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 12:12 AM

Yes
Crushed
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 3:52 AM

DD#1 is our family expert.  (Johns Hopkins PhD  in public health , dissertation in recombinent DNA, now with FDA)  Also My niece's husband is a Biochemistry PhD  with a major pharmaceutical firm  .  I will go with their expertise.

I will pass it along here

Unfortunately our current KIFR is 1.75%  which multiplied by our seven day infection average of 173,982  yields 3000 deaths a day in a few weeks .  Stay safe folks

Donr
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 5:03 AM

Yes I would take it. I qualify because of age and underlining conditions.
Doityourselfer
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 7:55 AM

No, I won't get the vaccine when it becomes available. I don't even get a flu shot.
Battlebuddy
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 8:57 AM

I’m counting the days. 

It’s been such a cause of stress between myself and family  members who don’t take precautions. I too feel the burden of responsibility to keep husband safe. 

My question to you folks is , do you think Alzheimer’s would be considered an underlying condition that would produce severe covid? 

JoseyWales
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 9:58 AM

I don't think we'll be offered it early on. DH and I are both in our 50s, and other than his Alzheimer's, we're both healthy. 

I'll be honest - I'm hesitant to jump and get it quickly. But I'm also fearful of how I will take care of DH if I get sick. So I'll probably get it when it becomes available to me.

Paul&Me
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 10:45 AM

Yes, we will get it as soon as we can. We both have underlying conditions: my cancer drug keeps my immunity low, and Alz. patients (in my mind) seem to be susceptible to respiratory illnesses. I have told my oncologist I will get whichever one he recommends for me. When they come out, he'll be looking at what he trusts for his patients.
John_inFlorida
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 7:19 PM

I plan to take as soon as possible.

DW beside VD has congestive heart failure as well, seems like she would qualify.  I'm hoping as her caretaker  I will as well. If I were to get sick, not sure who would care for her.

FrancesW
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 7:39 PM

Definitely get it as soon as possible.  Isolation is hurting almost as much as the virus. This question was asked at a church meeting recently.  One person said "no" as he had read on the internet that the vaccine also had something that would allow anyone taking it to be tracked.  After a rather stunned silence, our pastor held up her phone and said "they are already doing that."
Gig Harbor
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 10:42 PM

Absolutely. I worked for years with patients on ventilators. To me that would be the most frightening thing. Much scarier than a vaccine.
BethL
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 7:51 AM

Just wondering - Will persons who have had COVID already be offered the vaccine? Will they test for antibodies to see if they need a vaccine?

When I am convinced it's safe and effective, I will take it. 

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 8:41 AM

Hi Beth, still so little is really known with certainty about this disease and post COVID immunity that it leaves everything up in the air.   It is unclear how long a person will have immunity after having COVID and it is thought that it may also vary between people.

From the CDC:

"Since this virus is new, we don’t know how long natural immunity might last. Some early evidence—based on some people— seems to suggest that natural immunity may not last very long."

My guess is, that everyone will be vaccinated to err on the side of caution.  It seems the UK is also taking this approach.

We shall see . . .

J.

Rescue mom
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 9:05 AM

Assuming reputable scientists are OK with it, we will take it ASAP. I still worry about logistics of timely distribution, but I guess we’ll see how that goes.