RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (134)
Lorita
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 1:37 PM

Hi,

I can't understand why it does this - guess maybe because it has to load everything, every time.  At any rate.  Guess I can start another part near the end of page 3.

Zetta - I'm watching Yellowstone again today, off and on, between QVC and CNN.  Amazing how much we miss the first time.

I think the girls have gotten used to me coming out often to see them - maybe it makes them feel better, don't know.  Thanks for the congrats on the new baby - found another one this morning when I went out to check them.  So, two little girls yesterday.  The second one was Daisy's, Rose Bud's daughter - so now Rose Bud is a many time grand mother.  She had her probably about the same time as when I was watching but not really close - kind of on the north side of the pond dump.  When I saw them over there this morning I thought it was one of the other little ones but the more I watched, the more I didn't think so - mom was paying too much attention to her and vice versa. So cute, only a few hours old and jumping around. Had to drive around to count the others - so, Zetta, that makes eight (remember we lost two little ones for some reason).  I got Daisy and her baby up in the lot very easily - she knew where she should be.  After I got them in I saw both babies nursing.

About the alert button.  I have Medical Guardian.  Checked many kinds and decided on that one.  It's about $160 every three months.  Our vet and his wife got one for his mother after his dad passed away.  His wife checked several kinds and this seemed to be the best and for the least amount of money.  Mine has a fall detector which is really important to me - and would be to you, too.  However,  99% of the time forget to wear mine.  Could have used it last night getting the baby and mom up with all the other cows around.  One did bump into me - they're so curious.  They wouldn't hurt me but they're big and strong.  New moms are usually pretty unpredictable, too.

Doityourselfer - your bread maker sounds great.  I'm so glad you got one and like it.  I'm going to try the French bread.  Used my last slice of bread for toast this morning.

Rescue Mom - isn't Jo great?  Finding that link for you.  The bread sounds good.

Jo - I've heard or read about the language the Chinese women used.  Very interesting.  When I get time I'm going to read your link.  The Frankenurky sounds unique.  Let us know how it is.

I've had another busy morning.  Did my outside things - feeding Tom and Jerry and then finding and getting the new mom and baby girl up.  Got back in the house and put my bread in to toast and the phone rang.  It was Darwin.  He was out feeding and saw a heifer out in the road.  Wasn't his so thought it  must be ours.  He said he would bring it home.  Got my boots and coat on because I thought he'd bring her to the entry gate and I'd finish - but he brought her all the way to the house.  I have no idea how she got out - brand new fence all around that pasture. He offered to go with me to check the fence but I told him I'd do it later.  I'll drive the PU around the road and see what I find, tomorrow, after I get home from town or probably on my way to and from town.   I had on a mask,  he didn't and I was pretty close to him - hard to hear with the big old tractor running and the wind blowing but I think it'll be okay. 

Got the PU out and called up the girls - all but three have come through so I closed the gate so they wouldn't go back down in that pasture until I check the fence.  I noticed that Stanley was in the east lot with a couple of cows (I think one is his girlfriend) and four little ones. So, was going to call Mike to see when he wanted to pick him up - but, the phone rang and it was him.  He'll come after him this afternoon or morning.

Got the cows and calves out and gave the two pair and Stanley some hay. Had already fed the first new mom some creep.  Finally got back in the house and had my toast and hot tea so I'm been watching TV since then.  I just let Stormy and Sheena out and they started barking - they saw another big bird - drives them nuts.  All the girls are laying out front so can't get the PU back in the carport until they drift off.

Hope all of you are enjoying your Sunday.  It's 49 here with a stiff north wind - hope it's warmer tomorrow.

Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 3:00 PM

Carried over from (133) so I did not have to repeat:

Judith, as to your question; yes, that is what happened according to multiple news reports.

Nicole and Lorita, if we could bottle your energy and strength, we would make millions!  Goodness, you are so amazing.  Nicole, sure could use you at our place.  Certainly do miss the abiity to have someone in every two weeks to help with the house; it is a good-sized two story and so much to take care of, especially the "deep" stuff that needs attention.  The woman who used to help us for years retired and I was looking for someone to replace her when COVID hit. 

In the last Post I wrote, I shared that our state now has a mandated curfew from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am.   California COVID numbers have gone way up and are getting worse.  BUT . . . news this a.m. had videos of large groups of people; (mostly what appears to be in their 20's),  in several cities/towns who were scofflaws out after curfew holding demonstrations; waving flags, carrying signs, blocking streets, yelling and carrying on.  NO masks on while shouting that they will NOT give up "their rights."   They plan to continue to break curfew and demonstrate for "their rights;" and one large group of these vacuous whatevers,  all burned their masks.   If this were an errant group protesting this and that before COVID, no big deal; but this one is about life and actual death of of people besides these thoughtless empty vessels.

No concern for anyone else than themselves; no caution and all before the holidays when they will carry their asymptomatic COVID self into other groups of family, friends, co-workers, into public areas in public transportation, shops, groceries, other public places; etc., etc.   A complete lack of ethics - it is the, "Me, me, me and ONLY me," attitude that seems to be far too prevalent. 

Looking at the definition of "vacuous" and "errant," that pretty much describes it.

Getting a little cooler here; we will be about 71 degees to day which is still a bit warmer than usual.   The birds are back singing in the trees again; no Santa Ana winds, just soft breezes.  Forecast for Thanksgiving is for a day in the 60's, and a small possibility of a bit of rain.  We shall see.

Had to laugh once again ; I had thought to get a turkey breast for Thanksgiving; it will only be the two of us.   However; we will now be having a Frankenstein Turkey, or as I call it, a "Frankenurky."   DH had been online to our supermarket and he saw a boneless turkey with both white and dark meat together. It so inspired him, he ordered it for our grocery pickup..    Sounds odd; so we shall see what this brings.  Thank goodness, it is only 3 pounds, so if it is a dud, it will not be a huge loss.  On the other side of the coin; no bones and left overs to make a nice rich soup.  Will let you folks know how the Frankenurkey turns out.  If you do not hear from me, call Search and Rescue or at least send out a Saint Bernard with a neck cask to find me.

I was reading a book the other day; in it, the text described a very secret written language used in ancient and old China that was a secret coded language for women only.  This was mostly in the Hunan province.  Most women were not permitted to learn to read and write, but they developed this highly secret written language passed down from mother to daughter.   It kept their communications from the men who ruled them absolutely.  It is called, "Nushu."   Here is a link, I have to read it again; it is SO interesting. Women seem to always find a way . . .

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20200930-nshu-chinas-secret-female-only-language

Good day wishes to one and all,

J.

ladyzetta
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 6:39 PM

Lorita,    Congratulations on another new baby, Is Stanley the father of them all?  Your right you need to have your alert button on especially when your out with the girls. Is yours a necklace or a bracelet?  I did not watch any of Yellowstone today it is a good show but I cant stay up during the week when its on. I watched a lot of The Hoarders today.

Judith,    I made some Beef Stroganoff last night using your recipe it was delicious. I had enough for my dinner today. 

Its been a quiet day for me today also for Molly and Rascal, they napped all day. I just watched TV  vacuumed and played  games on my lap top. Its very cold outside. 

Have a Good Nights Sleep, Hugs Zetta 

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 7:10 PM

Hi,

It's been a busy day.  Stormy and I drove about two miles checking fences for a broken wire or low place where the heifer might have gotten under.  Didn't see one broken wire or a place low and big enough for a big heifer to get through - she probably weights 900 lbs.  So, I opened the gate to let the cows go into that pasture if they want to. There are three in there who didn't come out.

I gave the two cows and bull some more hay and as I was going into the lot Daisy was coming through the chute I had kept open to walk through when it was muddy - she barely got through, then behind her came Stanley.  I was afraid he'd get stuck for sure but he locked the headgate.  I had to open it to get him out and really wasn't sure how he'd react when he got out.  He shot out of there like a bullet but didn't bother me.  I closed the headgate and big metal gate to keep them out of it.  Not sure why he was following Daisy.   Two little calves hadn't gone off to graze with the others so they were hanging around - did see one of the cows come down just before dark - I guess to get them.

Patsy called and it's kind of upset me.  She was distraught and crying about how sick she is and how she hates her life like it is.  I tried to talk to her but I don't think I helped any.  I'm so worried about her - if only she had gone to the doctor a long time ago but in a way I can understand - she was afraid of what he might say and she felt too sick to go.

Now, I'm a bit worried about being that close to Darwin today.  I did have my mask and glasses on and we were outside - standing east and west, sort of and the wind was from the north.  I was close enough to pat him on the shoulder - about three feet. I've read that if you wear glasses they protect you, too.   I guess it'll be okay.  It's so hard to be so worried about being close to anyone.  Donna says when he goes to town he wears his mask so hopefully it'll be okay.  I guess I'm into another 14 day countdown.  Seems like one of us is in that all the time.

Stormy's laying down on the floor, eating.  They're tall and when they have to bend down to eat I guess it's kind of hard.  If I could find individual feeders that are tall I'd get a couple for them.  I've seen lots of double ones but that wouldn't work.  Guess I'll keep looking.

Dropped my sunglasses (fit-over) when I came in before dark and a lens fell out.  I'd already lost a lens from the other pair.  It's somewhere between the porch and carport, probably covered with leaves.  I tried and tried to get it in but couldn't so gave up.  Just now went in to get some hot tea and got the lens back in - guess I was trying too hard.

Zetta - I've watched a few hours of Yellowstone - have switched to Gunsmoke now.  I haven't seen this one or if I have, I've forgotten it.This one was made in 1962 - about the time James Arness was at his best and best looking.  We've watched him get older and older from 1955 until the show was over and after that the movies he made - really changed looks over the years - but, then, haven't we all.

Tomorrow's trash day but I don't have enough to worry with.  Guess I'll get my outside things done and go in about 9:30.  I'll be glad to get that done and back home.

So, today I saw Chris Christy say he thought what Trump and his lawyers are doing is disgraceful and he thinks it's time to get into the transition.  Probably fell on deaf ears or into the wind on the golf course.

Back later.

littleme
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 10:56 PM

Lorita

I remember a discussion about baked rice, and you asking for a recipe. I was sorting through a pile of recipes I had written down on cards, and found this one. Can't remember if anyone else gave you a recipe before now. Any FWIW, here is mine.

Baked Rice

Heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit [ about 180 degrees centigrade ]

Grease a casserole dish with 2 tablespoons of melted butter,

Add 1 cup raw rice, add 2 cups of stock

Sprinkle 1/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese over the top.

Bake for 45 minutes.

I guess you could make this a sweet by adding sugar, etc.

Haven't seen DH this week due to our 'lockdown', but expect to be allowed in on Wednesday morning for 30 minutes. My niece in Melbourne had not been able to see my brother for 6 months, also due to lockdown. Now he no longer recognises her. Heartbreaking.

Barbara

Rescue mom
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 7:30 AM

Lorita, about Stormy laying down to eat....you can order food bowls on a stand that holds the bowl higher, so the dog does not have to bend down so far. That’s very helpful especially for older and taller dogs who find it a lot harder to reach a bowl on the floor. They are not expensive. (Like everything else, some are, but there are many that are not).  

Amazon has them, probably other places too. I searched under “elevated dog bowls” and found lots and lots, many around $15. You have to scroll down a bit.

I used to bake rice in the oven, spread out on a cookie sheet, for maybe 10 minutes, after boiling it. I think it helped the texture be more to my liking.

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 8:45 AM

Drats!  Garble, garble, garble, (you don't want to know what I was actually thinking), once again knocked off the Board and Post was lost.

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 9:56 AM

Jo....please report it using the contact "button".....maybe they will listen to you and not just tell you to empty your cache which is something I do NOT want to do.
Sayra
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 11:01 AM

Just saying Hi.  Nothing going on here.
Lorita
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 3:55 PM

Hi,

Another busy day - no new babies, though, yet. The two new ones are doing fine.  This morning when I went out there was a baby about a month old standing by the corral - no mom in sight.  So, afraid she might wander off I put her up with the others.  Went on to town and when I got back didn't hear a mom calling. This afternoon when everyone was out front I let the baby out.  Poor little thing walked over the cows calling her mother - no answer.  So, of course, got worried and walked among them counting to make sure everyone was there - they were.  Baby walked out into the garden looking for mom - I thought she'd found her once but the cow made her get away.  Then, just in time, the cow with nubs walked toward her (I had thought it was her baby but wasn't sure), baby saw her and started toward her and latched on.  Made my day!   Stanley's still here and getting antsy.  I have him separated from the pairs.  Guess they'll come and get him after the clinic closes. 

Barbara - thank you for the rice recipe - that sounds pretty good.  I love rice so will probably try it this winter.  I'm glad you'll get to see your husband soon - half an hour isn't long but much better than not seeing him at all.  Just be careful.

Made it into town - left at 9:30 and got home almost two hours later.   Took longer than I thought it would.  Everything at the feedstore went well.  The co-owner came out on the dock (I was standing by the PU) to see me.  Hadn't seen her in a long time so it was nice to visit a bit.  The guys who load remember the kind of feed I get and even how I want it loaded so that makes you feel good.  Next trip in I'll get 20% creep and start feeding the girls - I think they're ready.  I had them leave room in the back of the bed to put a couple of mineral tubs - so, on to Atwoods.  Therein comes the rub - I called them when I got there and told them I needed two "blue" tubs.  The guy figured it and said it would be $95.+.  I said what happened - they told me it would be almost $108.  He didn't know.  He told me if I had a tax exempt number I'd have to come in to sign for it.  I told I wasn't coming in - to just charge the tax.  He brought something out for me to sign (loading ticket) and got my money, then had to bring the change. I used his pen but used hand sanitizer afterwards.

Got over to get it loaded and the guy looked at the feed and said they wouldn't fit - he'd have to lay them on their side.  They weigh 200 lb. and are hard to get upright when they turn over. I told him they always fit. So, brought them out and they were "red".  I told him they were supposed to be blue but the ticket said red.  He said I'd have to go inside and get it straightened out. I told him I was not going inside  - that he'd have to take it in and get it fixed.  He did.  Okay, red tubs vs. blue tubs.  When we had Buck we couldn't feed the red tubs because they had urea in them and horses can't have that so we bought the blue ones, without urea.  Cows have done great on them and I don't want to change.  So, after discussion on the phone with a couple of employees they said it would be $15. more.  For some reason this didn't register right with me so we had a discussion - finally paid it just to get it loaded.  The tax on the two tubs was a little over $10.  I can handle that a  few times this winter. 

So, the guy started to load it after I'd given the woman who came out the extra money and lo and behold, they fit.  I said "I told you they'd fit" and he laughed.  Why is it that men don't think women know their head from a hole in the ground.  Anyway, got the tubs and got home.  I just put out one - those things are hard to pull out of the PU and hold them as they fall to keep them from turning over - and then it's hard to get the lids off.  I was going to put some creep in the feeder but the cows saw me and started down so I'll have to do that later. 

That was my morning.  Nuf said. 

CNN just announced that Michigan has certified the vote so the State goes to Biden - as we had been told but now it's official so there's no recourse for Trump.

Put some bread on to bake. Doityourselfer - the French bread recipe you posted is almost like the one I use - except I use a T. of oil and 2/3 C. +1 T. of water.  It's slightly sweet which makes the best toast - I use a T. and half of sugar.  I had a loaf of  store-bought bread I'd had frozen and had a couple of pieces of toast from it this morning - no comparison.  Bread machines spoil us.

Sara - it's good to have a quiet day now and then.  You're always so busy - today you can rest.  It was foggy here this morning - couldn't see anything until the sun broke through and it lifted.  As I was going into town you could see patches of low-hanging clouds. 

I didn't like going into town - did enjoy seeing the guys and Ruth Ann and I felt safe.  I had mask on and wasn't close to anyone except the guy who loaded when he gave me the change.  The woman who came out had on a mask - not covering her nose. For some reason that really bugs me when the mask hangs off the nose or is underneath it.  So, anyway, I'll do the countdown starting today.  By then it'll be time to go in again and get both kinds of feed.

Jo - sorry you're having trouble with losing your posts - I lose long ones from time to time.  Wonder if people are losing shorter ones.  I guess I'd better post this before I lose it.  It's about time for Judge Judy.  Tried to all Patsy - no answer. Oh, what kind of phone number is 6004 - I've had three calls from that number and haven't answered any of them - and I won't. 

SQBEAR50
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 4:27 PM

Hi all,

So Judith, how was "my" nap the other day? I so wish I could take a nap. I hope I enjoyed it. Ha.

Honestly I don't have that type of energy to clean like I have been, just bored. Housekeepers have come a few times, but with Vegas shutting down again the company has also temporarily shut down.

I was very impressed with how the company is handling COVID. Masks, gloves, full body disposable suits, foot covers. They take everything off in the garage put into red bags and take the bags with them for disposal. While they're in the house uncle and I are masked up. So I do feel "safe" with this company. 

I think my uncle may have a UTI. He fell out of bed yesterday morning while trying to get to the bathroom. I found him on the floor next to his bathtub using the side to get up. I helped him up and he was fine after that. 

He has been going to bed early (3-5pm) and sleeping until late the next day. Last night he went to bed at 5pm and he's still asleep (it's 2:20pm here now) I did go in and check on him 4 times. Plus I have the bedroom camera on him (watching from my phone)

He has a primary Dr appointment tomorrow (has to be an in office visit) so I will talk to her about it these issues. 

I have never had baked rice but the recipes sound really good, so I guess we'll be trying it very soon. Thanks.

Nicole

BethL
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 5:27 PM

We got about an inch of snow today. It wasn't expected, but it came! Rain coming soon and higher temps so it won't last long. Today I made gluten free cinnamon rolls - first time. They were so good! If anyone needs to eat gluten free you can find the recipe here: https://www.mamaknowsglutenfree.com/gluten-free-cinnamon-rolls/

Wishing everyone a peaceful and joyful Thanksgiving. We are doing contact-free food sharing with our son's family. We will each prepare some of the dishes, then we will go to their house with what we made for them, and pick up what they made to share with us. All on the porch, social distancing. I'm looking forward to a nice meal.

ladyzetta
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 6:11 PM

Hello All,

Lorita,    I am sure with all the chores you do each day you will stay young and healthy. I need to start doing something other then staying in my chair all day long. The only exercise I do is I get up on commercials and clean house. You are so careful with protecting yourself I am sure the short time you were around Darwin you were safe. It seems like each day I am starting a new 14 day count down. 

My son brought all the stuff home for our turkey dinner. We have a store in Bend, Oregon 25 miles from me and on Thanksgiving and Christmas is sells a 10 to 12 lb turkey the stuffing mix a 5 lb bag of potatoes a can of olives and 2 cans of vegetables 2 things of gravy all for $20.00. Alls I had to get was the cranberry sauce and the pie. I always look forward to that sale.

Barbara,   I have never baked rice but that recipe look so good I am going to give it a try. I will probably do it in a few days to go with my left over turkey.

Nicole,   I took a few naps for you and you did enjoy them.        I sure hope you Uncle is not declining sounds like he is getting a lot of sleep hopefully sleeping as long as he has been is good for him. Hopefully you are taking advantage of this and getting you some much needed rest.

Hugs to All, Zetta 

Lorita
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 6:23 PM

Hi,

Just back for a minute. Nicole, I hope the doctor's appointment tomorrow goes well and he finds out what's wrong with your uncle.  I know how that must worry you.  Just be very careful.  At least wear your mask - I think we're pretty well protected if we have one on.

Beth, do you usually have much snow? It's been quite a while since we had a big snow - about nine years - hope we don't snow or ice this year - makes it too hard on the cattle and the people who have to get out to feed them.

I managed to get 100 lb. of feed in the creepfeeder before the cows realized what was going on - that'll do for a couple of days.

I've called Patsy a couple of times today with no answer or return call.  So, I called Jack to ask if she was worse and he said she was.  He didn't know about the doctor's appointment tomorrow so he asked her about it and she said she'd rescheduled it.  Said she wrote the date down but doesn't know where.  I tried to impress upon him that she had to go to the doctor or she was going to lay there and not make it.  He said he can't get her off the love seat.  I don't know if an ambulance would take her to the doctor or not - or the fire department.  She was so despondent yesterday and just sounded awful - could hardly talk above a whisper.

Can't get Sarah either.  I feel like I'm beating my head against a brick wall - there's nothing I can do about either one.

Zetta - that's quite a bargain for all that food, especially now that prices seem to have gone up.  Maybe you could get two and freeze one - if they'd let you do that.

Sounds like we're all going to try baking rice.  I took the bread out after it was done and it looks so pretty and smells even better.  I rub butter over the whole loaf while it's warm to keep the crusts softer.  Haven't had time to eat any yet.

I'm not going to do anything tomorrow - I hope.  I say that and it never works out. For almost half an hour I kept hearing a baby calling her mother - she was in the garden south of the house so finally decided I'd go out and see what was going on.  When I went out on the porch I hear a cow bawl softly - walked over to the fence and baby was having supper.  So glad she finally came down.  Just like having a big bunch of kids and I worry about them if I don't see each one every day. 

I'll stop for now and go out and let Stanley in to get some water.  I don't know if they're going to pick him up tonight or in the morning. I've fed them hay today but he needs some water.

See you all tomorrow.

Zetta, forgot to answer the eight babies, well ten, are from our bulls I sold March 1.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 7:08 PM

glad Michigan certified....hopefully Georgia can stop the second re-count now....
Lorita
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 7:45 PM

Me, too.  Do you think he'll ever concede?  I heard something about some movement  with the GSA  person.  Not sure if she was going to ascertain and release the funds.  I think it's way beyond time.  I heard last night that she had had death threats. Maybe Chris Cuomo will tell us.
Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 5:33 AM

Well the poof monster just took my post so will do again. Nicole sounds like you have a great cleaning company.  They are trying to protect their employees and you guys.  That is great.

Beth. One or two inches of snow not  too bad.  Always glad when it’s no more than that because so much easier to deal with.  That is so nice that your family is having a safe, cooperative thanksgiving day.  Would have liked to have done that but not to be.  Making a pumpkin pie to share with my mom.  Going to give my one sister some corn I froze, they like it.  She is going to give me a piece of pumpkin cheese cake she is making.  We will exchange on porch also.  May make some dinner rolls.  If  I get it done and they turn out good, will share them also.

House cleaning day.  Don’t enjoy it, but thankful I can do it because I like a clean house.  Sometimes I do let things clutter a little though lol.  My house usually does look lived in.

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 10:31 AM

Morning,

Cold and cloudy here this morning - and windy, as usual.  We had a little shower and, of course, I was out in it retrieving the binoculars I'd left on the gate.  There's rain west and northwest of us so we'll get some later.

I have the barn fixed so the girls can go in if they want to.  The two moms and babies are in the east side - I put out hay and water for them and there's some grass to graze if they want to.

I watched the last half hour western from 6:30-7 this morning, then got up and got dressed and went out on the porch.  The phone rang and it was Mike on his way to pick up Stanley. He was in the east lot by himself so I went out to close gates and Daisy decided she'd come into that lot, too.  He got here, backed up to the corral, opened the end of the trailer and one gate and Stanley hotfooted it into the trailer.  Guess he was ready to go.  He moves his bulls a lot so they're used to the trailer, not like ours when they have to be loaded.  Stanley's going to another set of cows so he'll be happy.  Our girls, and me, will miss him.  Sandy, while I was out in the lot I looked at his eartag numbers, thought I'd remember them, and now I don't.  Maybe I'll find where I wrote them the other day.

I didn't go out to see the girls - they're scattered so hope they're all right. I can see Rose Bud and Sweet Pea from the house.

So, Sara, sounds like you have things planned for what you're going to do on Thanksgiving.  I haven't given it much thought.  I'd like a pumpkin pie but don't want to make a whole one. Maybe I'll just make the filling and bake it in some ramekins.  Good that you're going to stay safe and still be able to share with your mom and sister.

If you lost a post this morning and we're only in the early part of page l of the thread - something else is happening and it may not be the length of the thread.  Sometimes I touch a wrong key and the whole post disappears - sometimes it gets posted without me posting it.  I had thought maybe because it was long posts that were deleted - not sure.

I have the front door open and it's raining.  Maybe I can see the girls as they come up.  They can tell if the rain's going to be longlasting so they won't come up if it isn't going to be.

I just got a call from Jack.  He is so worried and completely distraught about Patsy.  All of us know she needs to go to the doctor and she will not go.  She had an appt. today and cancelled it.  She's afraid she'll have to go to a nursing home.  I told him they couldn't force a person to do that but he said they did before.  I told him she could come home after she got better and have someone stay with her.  He says that won't work because no one would come into the house because of it's condition.  All the time we were talking I could hear he saying she wasn't going to the hospital and other things.  I gave him the  number of the doctor and told him to call him and ask him what he could do.  He says he just can't deal with it so I told him to go out in the garage for a while to get away from it.  He said he'd call me later.  I do know if she won't go to the doctor she won't make it.  He said if she leaves the house to go to the hospital he'll never see her again.  Such a sad case.  I don't know what to do -  nothing I can except to try to encourage both of them and that isn't helping.  I've been trying that for a long time.

Sorry to unload on you all but I have no idea what I can do.  Sarah has two appointments today - not sure she'll keep them either.  I couldn't get in touch with her yesterday - did text Todd to ask if he'd confirmed her appointments - no reply.  Guess I should just step back and let things be as they are.  Hard thing to do though.

I just let Stormy in the house - Sheena wasn't on the porch - I called and called, then went to the storage building where they stay when the weather's bad and they're outside - wasn't there.  So, walked around the house twice calling. Got back to the porch and she was standing by the door.  Last night before bedtime they were out at the front fence barking at wolves so I was afraid somehow she'd gotten out.  She's heavy so don't think she could jump over the fence and all the gates were closed.  So, back in the house now - trying to get that cup of hot tea down while it's still hot.

I'll be back later.  Got to collect my nerves.  This was the day I wasn't going to do anything.

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 10:47 AM

(((Lorita))) Know you are carrying a load.  Wish Patsy could be like my aunt and realize home is not safe and be content at the nursing home.  My aunt very much surprised our whole family with how well she accepted it.  She was alone though and didn’t have a Jack.  Have kind of had to learn to be there yet  detach myself somewhat from these types of situations, as much as I can, and say Lord I’m leaving it in your hands.  

You do take very good care of your animals Lorita.  Just finished up the lasagna.  It was as good the second time as it was the first time.  Think I will have a fried egg mixture for supper.

Take care everyone

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 12:43 PM

Hi,

Thanks, Sara, you're a very caring and compassionate person.  Your mom and other relatives and Jean are so lucky to have you in their lives.

It's raining off and on here - girls are drifting up toward the barn, I guess just in case it gets heavier.  Just saw Rose Bud pass by the door, grazing as she walked.  She and Sweet Pea and Gray Lady are our oldest cows so I have to be sure to see them every day.

Sarah had told me she had two appointments today but just got a text from Todd - seems it's only one appt. and at 1:30 - don't know which one it is. 

Jack has called I don't know how many times.  He's in over his head.  Patsy's a strong person - runs in the Gardner side of the family - but he has to take control or she'll pass away laying on the loveseat. He just told me he's tried for two days to help her sit up and he can't - she screams every time he touches her.  I've suggested the Fire Dept.,  \Ambulance and another transportation service we have in our area.  He's going to call the ambulance department and explain his situation and see if they can transport her to the doctor's office.  I don't know if they do that or not.  She can't even sit up to change her gowns - flat on her back - not eating.  It's a dire situation.  He's 84 and just can't seem to cope with it.  Nothing I can do but let him talk and try to support him and make suggestions.

Sara - I think leftover lasagna is just as good, or better, than it was when first made.  I really like leftovers and always have.  I found a package of garlic mashed potatoes I think I'll make - kind of like making couscous.  Add the packet to a bowl of boiling water and mix.  Had green beans yesterday with pasta so the green beans will go well with the potatoes - or I might have Ramen soup.  I have some ranch fries, hash browns and a few French fries - guess I'm keeping them for hard times.  Had a couple of slices of the fresh bread, toasted, for breakfast.  Still kind of amazes me that you can put in the ingredients and 3 hr. later you have a baked, loaf of fresh bread.

Sara - I just watched a bit of Judge Mathis.  There were a couple of people in his audience with face shields on but it looked like they didn't have that foam and stuff around the forehead - looked like it was something around the chin that kept them on.  I checked on WM.com but didn't see those.  I did see those that are kept on like glasses - looks like that would bother your ears especially if you wear glasses anyway.  I wore a face mask this morning when I was out in the lot with Mike - didn't get close so probably didn't need it.  I think the contact with Darwin will be okay and yesterday there was only the man who loaded for me (not close then) but he did bring change out to me and gave it through my half-closed window (did  have on my mask).

I hope I can take a nap this afternoon (I know I say that every day but feel like I could use one today).  Finally opened the Chewy boxes that were delivered last Thursday.  I hadn't needed the dog food inside so hadn't bothered.  Still two sacks of dog food on )the front porch.  I can remember all those years lugging dog food to mother for her dogs and also to ours - this is much easier but still complain about having to open the boxes and bring them inside.

It's 52 - in that area over NE Okla.  I so hope our long-range winter forecast is right.  I think I'll begin feeding the girls creep in a couple of weeks.  Mike commented about how much green grass there still is - so may not have to staying haying them until late December.  The weatherman just said it's going to be 65 here on Thursday - that'll be nice.

Got my catalog from Henry Firearms - probably a couple of days ago but just opened it today.  I have a single shot .22 rifle but I want a repeating .22.  The revolvers I have are good and probably don't need another one of those.  I have one I've had for a long time and the one Charles used when he was a Policeman - shorter barrel.  They're darn expensive - cheapest one I've seen is about $400 and all the way up.  Single shot ones are about $500.  We  had a .22 repeating rifle with a scope that I took to the gunsmith but there was one little part he didn't have and couldn't find one even at gunshows so gave  up on that.

Just had another call from Jack.  He had talked with the ambulance company and they'll come out and get Patsy into his car.  The doctor's office is about 15 miles away so he wonders what will happen when they get there.  He's talked with the nurse to see if the doctor will come out to the car to see her.  I took my mother to the doctor once and our doctor came out to the car to see her - and I'm sure the doctor I go to now would do the same.  We'll see.

Hungry again so I'll stop for now.  Hope everyone's well today.

ladyzetta
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 2:14 PM

(((Lorita)))     I am so sorry you have all these worries on you mind. I hope Jack is strong enough and makes sure Patsy gets in the car. I am sure once she gets to the  Drs office he will see her. He probably will have her brought in by wheelchair so he will have her in his office. She really needs to be someplace where she is getting care and if Jack has POA he can place her I am sure you know that. One time when I took Dan the nurses came out and helped him get out of the car he was too big for me to handle. I wish the only thing you had on your mind was you and the girls. I know it is hard not to worry. Are you on any type of antidepressant?  I started taking them when I was caring for Dan and I am still taking them it seems to make my life easier because I am a big worrier. 

I went into the store today to finish my thanksgiving dinner shopping. The store opened at 7am I was the only one in there. I am glad I am a early person I avoid people that way. I also had to go into my Drs office for blood work. I changed Drs because mine retired so my new Dr wanted to update all my records. This Dr is right here in my little town the other one was in Bend and that was a 25 mile drive one way. 

The sun is shinning real pretty outside but it is very cold. I am comfy in my rocker watching Gunsmoke. 

Sara,   That pumpkin cheesecake sounds good I wish I had some of that. You said you don't enjoy housekeeping. I love housekeeping I keep a pretty clean house I cant stand clutter so I will putter around my house all day cleaning things up. I do this on my Gunsmoke commercials. Only problem I have is my floors always need vacuumed and my furniture always needs dusted. I am not real good at that. 

I hope you all have a good Thanksgiving. Hugs Zetta 

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 3:01 PM

Lorita, I am so truly and deeply sorry for what is happening with Patsy and Sarah.  You are a loving, compassionate and caring person and I can see how deeply all of  this is affecting you.  What a helpless feeling this has to be.  I certainly do not know these individuals personally, so anything I write is based on your writings over a long period of time. 

Patsy can refuse assistance from the ambulance company; in fact, she can actually refuse ambulance transportation even if one is called in an emergency.  I have seen this happen; very scary for family who are desperately trying to help.

The reason Patsy was not permitted to check herself out of the hospital last time was as I recall, because her house was in such a dreadful, unclean, hoarding state and it was very unhealthy for her as well as physically dangerous due to the piles of stuff.  Don't forget, nurses, doctors and social workers are amongst mandated reporters for adult neglect, harm to themself, or abuse.   As I recall, a team of workers specializing in hoarding, etc. did go out to the house and got the main living area cleaned but not the rest of the house which enabled Patsy to return home.  Since no one has been  there to help all these months, it is probably once again in the same unhealthy, unsafe state as before.  Patsy is as she has shared, scared and she has no control over any of this except by refusing help which avoids hospitalization and probability of post hospital rehab, etc.

NOTE:  If Patsy refuses to see the doctor or go to the ER or refuses necessary hospital admission, there is only one answer to force her to get help, and that would be for someone to contact APS and tell them there is an urgent/emergency need.  Of course, that comes with ramifications, so one would want to think about such action very carefully.   APS can get an emergency order to force  the person to get to care when things are so severe.  My guess is that APS would have an ambulance transport Patsy to a medical center.  If I recall correctly, APS was involved with the first hospitalization discharge and key to getting part of the house remediated as much as possible so Patsy could return home

It does come to mind that both Patsy and Jack may be fnnctioning with decreased logic and inability to use adquate reasoning and judgment.  Jack may be experiencing early dementia which has affected his problem solving  and ability to make decisions and do what desperately needs doing; this is a dreadfully frightening situation for him and he really needs ongoing support.  In all probabilty, he too has health conditions needing attention.  Patsy may also have impact on her reasoning, judgment and logic secondary to her oxygenation, her out of control diabetes, and other conditions as well as her also possibly having early cognitive changes from dementia.

If there is no one to speak for them, to see to them, then the likelihood is that Patsy will not survive this situation which is so severe.  If her doctor sees her in appt., IF he complies with mandated reporter status, he would be bound to contacting APS if she refuses care as he will be able to tell Jack is not capable of caring for Patsy.  How awful for the two of them and the stress on Jack must be overwhelming. 

If she does not want to leave her home and if it is fact as she told you this week that she wants to die, then another option is for Hospice to be called and come in and arrange for services for her.  Still - who will have the knowledge and capability of caring for her as the needs are complex.  It does not sound as though Jack is competent to do so.   How sick and horribly uncomfortable she must be.  You will be best served by preparing yourself Lorita, this is not a dynamic that seems it will have a good outcome.

And then you face Sarah.   It has been the same and more of the same for years.  It is quite possible that she and Todd have somewhat of a co-dependent relationship.

Codependency is a relationship where one person enables the other person's poor mental health, irresponsibility, addiction, immaturity, etc. It isn't that the partner forces this or makes this happen; it is how they react with one another within their relationship.  Once again, these relationship dynamics have gone on for years.

I am so hoping I have not hurt your feelings and am not far out of line, Lorita; I think so much of you and truly admire you and have for the years we have known one another here.  I think of you as a nurterer which you surely are with your ranch with all the named and cared for cattle as well as your many fur friends who you also lovingly care for.

May the stars be aligned just right to hopefully get Patsy to permit help into the car to get her to the doctor's office. He cannot examine her sufficiently in the car; the doctor's office probably has a wheelchair to transport her into the office.  If Jack calls the office and lets them know that they are in the parking lot but need help to get Patsy into the office, they more than likely send someone out to help her and Jack.  If Patsy has her own wheelchair, it may be more comfortable and best for her to have hers brought in the car with her.  This would be a good idea just in case this doctor's office has no wheelchair.  (My MDs office has one, but it is only 17" wide - who the heck fits that I wonder.) 

Here's hoping that it will work out for both Patsy and Sarah with their appointments.

In the meantime, if you can, try to get a little bit of a rest and respite; perhaps have a muffin with a cup of tea and put your feet up and watch a favorite program to get your mind and body a little settled; guess that means not watching any politics. 

Big hug and warmest of warm thoughts being sent your way.  

J.

ladyzetta
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 3:19 PM

Jo,    That message to Lorita was very nice you gave her a lot of loving support. You are a wonderful friend to Lorita. She has a lot of wonderful friends here. Hugs Zetta
Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 3:50 PM

JoC is right.  Remember when my mom had her stroke she refused transport.  They called me telling me they could not make her.  Was personally just glad I had it in record that I tried.  Probably good that Jack has it on record that he tried.  Feel very sorry for Jack
Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 5:36 PM

Hi,

Sarah called - she was at the doctor's office waiting for Todd to pick her up.  Had lab work and an EKG which showed tachycardia which she knew.  She has appointments with this doctor, again, NP appt. and one with Dr. D.  She said he sent prescriptions to be filled which they'll pick  up on the way home, I guess.  She said she was tired so told her to go home and lay down and relax.  So glad she kept that appointment.  Todd couldn't go in with her.

Jack called and said the doctor's office called and told them to go to the ER instead of his office - that's where she would have ended up anyway.  So, if the ambulance service gets her into the car, they can get her out at the ER.  I imagine she'll be admitted to the hospital.  When he called she asked to talk to me and asked that I call her at 6:30 in the morning to be sure she's awake so she can get ready to go.  I could hardly understand her - didn't talk with her yesterday but she sounded much worse than she did Saturday.

He just called again to see if I knew if Medicare or insurance pays for ambulances.  I don't know because ours was taken care of through the VA.  He's decided instead of them putting her in the car and him taking her , they'd just take her to the ER.  I told him not to tell her that's what they were going to do.  She's okay with them putting her in the car.

I feel sorry for him, too.  Jo, thank you for the kind words and suggestions.  I'm afraid the house is maybe not as bad as before but not in good shape.  He told me he can't sleep in bed because there's not room on the bed so he sleeps in his recliner and she on the loveseat - all of this in the LR.  Zelda, their dog, sleeps in her kennel in the bedroom.   Sad situation all the way around.  If the hospital has a bed I'm sure they'll keep her.  He says he's afraid he'll never see her again - but, I told him, at least she'll be alive and if she stays at home much longer she won't be.

Jo, Zetta and Sara, such good friends you all are - and others on our thread.  I've worn out your eyes and ears over the years with my troubles - first with Charles when I didn't have anyone to talk to about what was happening and then with my sister and Sara and now with Patsy.  I don't know what I'd do without all of you.

Sara - you're right - all I can do is put this is God's hands.  There's nothing in this wide world that I can do to help except try to mostly let them talk about what's happening and try to encourage them.

Zetta - I don't take antidepressants.  Many years ago a doctor I went to briefly thought I needed them so I started taking them - the longer I took them the more my hands shook so I quit.  The only thing I take is an occasional 10 mg. Librium - anti-anxiety drug.  I might take one a month or one a day for a couple of days or maybe one every two or three months, prn.  The prescription I have now I had filled last March and I still have most of them.  They work for me and I've used them since I was in my early 20s - surprised they still make them. 

It's been rainy this afternoon and dark.  Everyone in the house has been asleep all afternoon and I dozed off during The Waltons for about 15 minutes.  Jo, I think you're right - I should stay away from politics tonight.  I am wondering what Trump had to say when he was doing the turkey pardoning.

Weatherman just said was had 26.1" of snow in 2010 and 2011.  I remember that - we were completely snowed in.  I was worried because I knew if there was an emergency with Charles we couldn't get out.  Sweet Darwin came with his big old John Deere and broke out the road from his house to our driveway and up to the house.  I have pictures of the high drifts he went through.  Another neighbor and Darwin broke out the road from his house to the next N/S sectionline and the next day the road grader or bulldozer took care of the roads.  Thankfully, everything was all right.  He just said we're supposed to be warmer and drier this winter but in this weather pattern our springs are active with severe weather.  May have 70 mph winds tonight - should have taken down the flag.

You know, Patsy isn't able to walk at all, hasn't for quite some time and she isn't eating - he said she hadn't had anything today.  She's weak and getting weaker from both of those things. 

Stormy and Sheena stayed out last night and after they came inside today, they've been sleeping in the bedroom.  Glad I got some feed in the creepfeeder and a new mineral tub out for the girls yesterday.  I'm not going out tonight - I think everyone's down in the pasture grazing - it's dark anyway. 

Again, thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.  I do need to disengage as much as I can but it's just not something that's easy for me to do.  Mother was the same way so guess that's where it comes from. 

Judith, looks like there's a line of thunderstorms about to get to you.  Most of it's in the northern part of the state but we'll get some later tonight.  Take care.

I'll probably be back before bedtime.

BethL
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 6:22 PM

It rained off and on today, and the snow is pretty much gone. I live in Iowa and our average rainfall is 32" and snowfall 34". 

Tomorrow I will make rolls and two pumpkin pies. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 7:40 PM

Beth, our average snowfall here is about 9", average rainfall is 45". The last couple of Years we've had less snow and more rain.

Love pumpkin pie with whipped cream.  I've never made rolls may try that this winter.

Trying to stay away from CNN so I'm watching Chopped. Tried a little of Cosmos- learned there are four planets that have rings; Saturn, Uranus,Neptune and Jupiter never knew that.  Good to learn something new every day.

Hope all of you have a restful night.  I bet Stanley us missing the barn tonight.

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 8:07 PM

Lorita hope you and everyone else has a good nights rest.
Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 8:24 PM

Thanks, Sara.  Hope you have a good.night, too.

We're having rain and a thunderstorms first of two lines of storms that will come through.  Sheena's afraid of thunder so she's laying by my chair and I have my foot on her to help keep her calm.

I hear a cow bawling so guess they've come up hope the babies are with them.

See you all tomorrow.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 8:59 AM

Morning,

The ambulance came to get Patsy and she refused to go - said she was not going to the hospital.  Jack made a mistake and told her she was going to the ER for tests.  The EMTs assessed her mental capacity - where she lived, date, etc. and decided she was competent to refuse to go.  He told them  if they don't take her she'll lay there and die and they agreed - said it was her decision.  So, now what do we do?  I talked to her and she can barely form words and flatly refuses to go.  Jack does not have POA.  

Jo, you mentioned calling in Hospice - doesn't the doctor have to do that?  We're at our wits end - I don't know what to do with someone like that and Jack doesn't either.  Maybe you're reading and can give us some advice.  I'm not NOK so can't do much but can tell Jack what he can do.  It'll absolutely kill him to watch her fade away before his eyes.   We need help - maybe I'll call the ambulance company and plead with them

Addendum:  Jack just called and he's called the doctor who's supposed to call him back so I told him to ask the doctor about Hospice. 

Can't understand why she's so set against going to the hospital except she's afraid they'll send her to a NH. 

I've been out in the pastures for the last hour - coming up one short on the number of cows and calves.  I managed to get another 50 lb. of creep in the feeder but I'm going to have to go back out.  It's cold out there and I didn't have my gloves with me.  I'll drink my juice and go back and read and see if anyone has any suggestions as to what we can do.  Her 79th birthday is the 30th and she told me a few weeks ago she didn't think she'd make it to her birthday.  If she doesn't go to the hospital , she won't.

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 9:17 AM

What wonderful news that Sarah kept her doctor's appointment; I am sure that brings a big feeling of relief.   So hope her prescriptions bring her more comfort.  Kudos to Todd for driving her and getting her there.

Here I am, it is 6:00 am my time and I have been awake since 4:00.  First thing on my mind was Patsy and Jack.  I hope that all goes well this morning.  Poor Jack; he must be so stressed and he is 84 years old; that is tough.   I well imagine Patsy will be admitted.   To address Jack's concerns, the ambulance should be covered as medically necessary considering Patsy's condition.  Here is a link re Medicare and ambulance coverage:

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/ambulance-services 

Lorita, I wonder if you want it, and if Patsy is willing, if she would give your name at the hospital as a person who can receive her medical information.   This way, if Jack does not understand something or misses some of what is being told to him, you would be able to clarify things.  I hope that hospital Social Services reaches out to him.  Wonder if he would like to have Meals on Wheels during this time; with weather changing, it would be helpful for him to have that. 

It would be good  if there was someone near Jack that could give support to him; such a difficult time and I do understand his fear that he will not be able to ever see Patsy again as hospital's are not permitting visitors and she is so ill.   I imagine he as well as Patsy have not had proper meals for quite some time which has probably sent her insulin dependent diabetes off the rails.    Do you know if there are any friends near where they live, or neighbors or if they have a church with helpful members who are supportive of Jack who could lend a hand if something happens to Patsy?  So hope he will be alright too.  Do keep us informed; we all are hoping for the best for the two of them.

What I am hoping for Patsy is that once she is admitted and has her conditions addressed and has nursing care, that she will feel so much more comfortable and peaceful.  This has been a very hard time for her.

Glad the babies are doing well Lorita; it seems you now have a, "full house."  Stanley's kids are healthy little ones and the word  little seems to be relative; 900 pounds you mentioned re a calf.  That is really heavy.  Wouldn't want one's feet to get trod on.  Is Billy the Bull able to sire offspring?  I think of him and all he has had to adapt to with his limitations.  

Cold this morning; will be about 64 degrees today.   We are not getting any rain this week, but unfortunately the Santa Ana winds are returning for a few days which means high fire danger again.  It has been a bad year for the Santa Ana's.  We do not feel them here where we are, but 30 minutes or so down the freeway either direction and it is a big deal.

Got some Biscone from CostCo this last delivery.  Those are a lovely cross between a biscuit and a scone and are more scone like.  They are mildly orange with cranberries folded in and that large crystal sugar on top.  Great with a nice cup of tea.  Of course, always want a second, but thus far I have held that off.  They are not always available and seem to be seasonal.  CostCo has a decent bakery.  What I really love are their tiny frosted cinnamon buns.  They too are delicious and wonderful in texture with a lot of filling in the tiny rolls. However; they call my husband's name so he does not want them ordered.  Anyway; at this point in time that is what he says and that is open to change at any time.

Zetta, weather seems to be in a holding pattern.  My brother in Bend got his big atomic snow blower out and has it primed and ready for the big work.  The thing is HUGE; but that's my brother.  He loves that sort of thing.  His knees had to be replaced; he was an avid tennis player and cannot do that anymore, so he is into Pickle Ball and joined a Pickle Ball club.  So did his lady friend.  Well; their club had a couple of members develop COVID including said lady; and these folks are all on the senior side of the ledger.  They cannot figure out how that happened since they are so "fit" . . . ahem . . . . large group of people, huffing, puffing, standing and sitting in groups and no masks.  And he has a Master's Degree.   Somehow common sense was not included.  So far he is fine, but I need to call him again to check on him.  I usually hear if something is wrong, but this is something that is a bit worriesome.

I may have mentioned this before, so if I did; apologies.  Anyone watching, "The Undoing,?"  It is an HBO miniseries.  It stars Hugh Grant and Nicole Kidman.  Very good whodunit with multiple candidates for the "murderer."  Interesting with plot twists and turns.   Grant plays an absolutely smarmy character.   Shame on me for noticing, but Ms. Kidman has had a LOT of work done.  She was so beautiful but it is now glaringly obvious someone has taken a scalpel and probably botox to her and the end results are not on the positive side of the ledger.  Really, really noticeable.   Must be hard to be in such a competitive business where so much depends on outer beauty; yet, some are able to age gracefully and still be very busy.  My friend said she has been watching the program, but gets side tracked by Ms. K's closeups.   In any case, I now have five candidates for the murderer.   As for keeping one's face up; well, gravity has got to all portions of my body starting at the top of my head and is relentless.  To quote Popeye, "I yam what I yam."  Toot-toot!!

I am looking for a good place to donate for food needs.  I hoped to find a family needing assistance or a good Food Bank that will see to it that money gets to actual food for actual people rather than have it go into admin. costs.  I am deeply, deeply touched and concerned for so many who do not have adequate food for their families and for those who are losing the places where they live due to inability to pay rent or mortgages. It is a horrible, dreadful situation.   I see miles of cars lined up to forever waiting for boxes of food. What about families who have no car, or for those who cannot afford the gas to sit in line for hours waiting for their turn.  This is such an awful thing and neither party in DC seems to understand the deeply dire straits of the people; so no stimulus package. It just is not understandable and it is getting worse.

And here I sit talking about Biscone and cinnamon buns.  It shames me.   I shall make some more calls today and see where the best spot is for donations to get right to those in need.

Take good care and I will continue to think of Patsy and Jack and send up a prayer on their behalf.

See y'all soon,

J.

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 9:40 AM

OH NO!!   We must have been typing at the same time.  Patsy at this point will NOT be using competent judgment and reasoning due to the severity of her medical condition which is affecting her thinking in those domains.

Two things can be done:

1.  A call can be made to APS since Patsy is compromised both physically and in her mentum and both her and Jack are in their 80's and high risk; she is a danger to herself and there is a HUGE neglect issue; not intentional, but neglect all the same due to lack of ability and impact on the ability to reason and think.  NOTE:  Any report will be confidential, and for all Jack and Patsy would know is that the ambulance staff may have reported her situation.  APS can get Patsy to care over her refusal if the APS worker is experienced and consciencious; I have seen this happen. 

2.  A doctor's order is needed for Hospice to begin services; BUT one can call Hospice and ask them to do an intake at the house without such an order; IF Patsy will let them in. Hospice will then call the doctor for an order and if Patsy's doctor refuses, Hospice will have their own doctor sign an order for services.  Hopefully their own doctor will order this service, but he may not if he has not seen her in some time. 

NOTE:  Hospice does not put a care aide in to the house except for bathing and grooming; there will be a social worker and RN of course who come at intervals.   BUT - who will take care of Patsy on a day by day 24 hour basis?  Hospice can put a hospital bed in  the living room which seems to be the only clear room in the house; but how will she get to the bathroom for her elimination needs?  (How is she doing that now is a question.)   Hospice though can indeed assess everything and make a determination.  Jack is not capable of doing all of this.

The problem may be that without a reasonably competent caregiver, Hospice would want to provide services at a NH level and Patsy would never approve that; Hospice would also be a mandated reporter for the situation, so it is highly possible that if services cannot be provided due to Patsy's refusal, that they would make an APS report.

I am truly and deeply sorry; this is of course not acceptable for care needs and outcome, and the impact on Jack must be overwhelming putting him at high risk from stress and his own care needs.   So, so sorry; please let us know what will be done to try and get this put to rights and if we can be of any help from afar, please just let us know; we are here and we really do care and we will do all we can.

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 9:41 AM

Re Hospice....I made the call for Dick...his Dr. was not involved. They made the assessment and it was approved by their Dr.

Re ambulance.....it is optional with our utility bill. Patsy and Jack are down by McCalister so do not know if that might be true for them. 

Re Patsy...I fear that she thinks she is dying and is choosing to do that at home. Understandable.

Re Sarah...sorry Todd could not go in with her. Tracy had her surgery last week at OU and someone was allowed in....same is true for surgery at Mercy. It must be different for office visits.

I woke up pre-dawn and watched the movie My Brilliant Career with Judy Davis and 
Sam Neill...set in Australia. One of the last scenes had Davis pulling a calf out of mud next to t pond. Guess who I thought of?

addendum; has the daughter been notified?

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 10:12 AM

Hi,

Judith, been there, done that - out of mud, out of an icy pond, etc.  I've never seen that movie - sounds like I'd probably like it. 

I just got back in from the pastures for the second time.  I kept coming up one short and I can not abide that, so went back.  Rose Bud was still up fairly near the house so gave her some feed.  Had given the two moms some hay earlier and fed Tom and Jerry.  Went to the south pasture and the area around the MH and east pasture - couldn't see anyone but did find a big piece of foam in the MH yard - where that came from I have no idea but someone had been pulling at it.  Picked it up and the pieces so the little ones wouldn't eat them - just like babies they'll put anything in their mouths.  Drove back down halfway to the NE pasture and recounted.  I think I came up with the right number - hard to count them when they're moving around and you have four in another place along with Rose Bud and the six babies.  It's 45 degrees out and there's a NW wind so I'm cold even with the trapper's hat, fleece jacket with hood and gloves the second time.

Thanks to you, Jo and Judith, for your help.  I called Jack to have him get in touch with their daughter so she might be able to talk some sense into Patsy.  He said she and her husband are up in the mountains camping -  no reception.  I don't think Patsy would listen to her anyway.   I talked to Patsy, I think mentioned that, but she hung up on me.  Jack was waiting for a call from the doctor.  I told him to ask him about Hospice so maybe he'll remember.   He told me he has a lot of trouble remembering things.

Years ago when we were in the midst of all the problems with my sister and LMG I talked to Charles' doctor and mentioned APS.  He said that was something you shouldn't do unless it was a last resort - this may be.  I did call them - they went out and were with her about five minutes - because she could answer their questions and her house was neat and clean, they said she was okay and left. 

Maybe, if that's the way Patsy wants it, maybe that's the way it should be.  But, Jack would never survive seeing her fade away.  She's well on her way now - she can't seem to even open her mouth enough to get the words out - they're slurred and half said. 

I'm glad Sarah made her appointment, too, so maybe the medicine will help some.  They told her the feeding machine needed to be replaced every 3-4 months and hers hasn't been so that has to be done.  I know caregiving is hard and frustrating and tiring but it's easy compared to this - dealing with Patsy and Sarah, from afar, and not having any real authority to do anything except make suggestions and worry.  At least when you're the caregiver you can get things done.  I can't step out of it, how do you do that when someone calls asking for help.

Didn't feel too good when I woke up - had a little left-sided headache so must have slept on that side a while.  Seems like I have to hit the ground running every morning.  Stormy and Sheena are back inside and Stormy's asleep on the divan.

I'll wait for Jack to call to tell me what the doctor said.  I just wish he hadn't told her she was going to the ER - last night I told him not to but people do what they think is best.  He said he thought he had her talked into it but guess when the ambulance got there, she realized what was happening.  Still think I may call them but I know it wouldn't help.  Early this year she first refused to go when the ambulance came but Jack talked them into taking her anyway.  I don't think she has ever forgiven him for that - result was being in two hospitals and a nursing home for a few months.  That's what she's afraid of now, I'm sure.

Thanks for listening and being there like you all always are.  Sorry for being such a nuisance.  Having some hot tea - gosh, wish I had some waffles.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 10:34 AM

Well, I did call the ambulance service and as it happened I talked with the EMT who went out on the call this morning.  He said they asked her the date, time, name and address and she answered each question.  He said they couldn't take her if she didn't agree - that it would be kidnapping.  Even if Jack was POA and she was mentally competent she could revoke it and they couldn't do anything.  He said they gave Jack suggestions about what he could do - call her doctor and ask about home health so I guess that's why he called him.    The EMT said Patsy wouldn't let them touch her - screamed when they tried - guess they were checking her.  Jack says she screams every time he touches her.

So, guess there's nothing to be done except seeing if home health or hospice can help.  I hate it when it gets to that point. 

Judith - just saw your addendum about contacting the daughter.  Even if Jack could get in touch with her I doubt she'd be of any help - but she could, at least, talk with Patsy and try.