RSS Feed Print
dressing in the wrong clothes now
ladypeewee
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 5:41 PM

Peewee is starting to wear clothes for the wrong type of weather. It was 47degrees today and he didn't think it was that cold. I needed to run to town around 3:30 I had on a tank top and I put my coat on, He had on a T shirt and shorts. Now mind you he is always cold. So when he realized I was going somewhere he wanted to go also. I told him it was too cold for shorts, he refused to change, I told him he needed a coat and he refused, I told him to grab a coat anyways and he didn't, He said it was not cold. We go to town and was back home less than 30 minutes. Peewee was freezing by the time we go back home.
ladyzetta
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 7:07 PM

Hi Lady,

Maybe carry a blanket in the car so if there is a next time he will have something to wrap up in. Hugs Zetta 

ButterflyWings
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 10:47 PM

ladypeewee - Us too. DH was outside today with a Tshirt and sandal-type shoes with his khaki pants, though it was <40 degrees and he catches cold easily. But, he gets agitated when "I treat him like a child". Just trying to get him to wear a jacket, or socks, or go back in the house. Its like he doesn't feel the temperature, but now he has a runny nose and that's just what we need. 

Just a few weeks ago it was really warm  (70s), and he came out in his heavy sweater AND winter jacket, refusing to take them off while helping with yard work. I was so frustrated but tried not to show it as that just makes it worse for hours. I was really hoping he wouldn't pass out. He was being so stubborn, so I got him to drink some cold water at least. Then instead of continuing to try to talk him into taking the winter gear off,  (reasoning lol) I just reached for the cuff at one point, and he let me take it off. Go figure! (he was probably getting too warm and welcomed my help by then, but just couldn't say it). It was like he forgot all about the discussion and tug of war, and just complied when I least expected it, but was able to 'win' with another approach. 

Geez...Takes so much time to try different approaches to keep them safe and sort of calm. This one isn't as hard as some of the other changes, so I am just going to roll with it. I like ladyzetta's idea to keep a blanket in the car, and maybe a hat? We have a seat warmer feature, so that has helped me keep him from getting sick from this misjudgment of how to dress for the weather too.

French
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 2:17 PM

You could perhaps prepare the clothes or let only those that are appropriate to the season

Dressing is a real worry for me also. not because he wears chothes that are not appropriate, in fact he has all the time cold so there is no risk that he goes out in shorts in winter ... and even in summer.

No, the problem is the management of the clothes. I used to let him help himself from his dresser but I found everything upside down every day and the dirty clothes with the clean ones. I did put labels on the drawers to help him, but selecting the clothes he needs had become very difficult. I think it's like setting the table, he takes a handful of cutlery without being able to count or select it and put everything on the table. He's taking a bit of all kinds of clothes and we'll see. And after the dressing, everything is put back in the drawers. In the end it's a lot of work for me to sort, tidy up and iron everything again because I don't want him to be dressed with clothes all crumpled up. He already looks so bad now, there's no need to add to it. 

So I decided to prepare the laundry in the evening and put it in the bathroom. In the morning he comes down already fully dressed.To sleep he just takes off his pants and sweater. It is better now because the chest of drawers is better arranged but I often find him dressed with the dirty while the clean one is put back in the chest of drawers or vice versa... and very often with 2 polo shirts, 2 pairs of socks, the clean and the dirty.

I would like to have him put pyjama before going to bed so that I can get rid of dirt clothes and he would have no choice the morning... but it’s too much like kids. I won’t have so much time to spend on dressing when the lockdown will be finished.

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 5:15 PM

Hello Lady; clothing can be a very real issue for some of our LOs.  I learned to buy two of any clothing so I could wash one and have the second to put on because sometimes only one particular garment would do for weeks on end and I had to tip-toe and sneak the used garment to wash when my LO was asleep and replace it with the identical one that was clean. 

Is it possible to take his summer wear clothes, put them in a box and store them somewhere replacing them with long pants and more appropriate shirts?  If he does not have the shorts - perhaps they are at the seamstress because the seams are worn out or whatever.

If this does not work, I would carry a pair of pants, a long sleeve shirt and an extra jacket in the car if you need to go out and about for any length of time. When such a state is reached, it seems to not do any good to argue, or reason, etc.  Most times our LOs just are not processing such rationale

If it is kept really warm in the house he may feel it is shorts weather.  If you lowered the thermostat for awhile would he be a bit chilly and more apt to wear warmer clothes?  Also, you mention yourself wearing a tank top; that may look like summer attire to him which may cement even further the reason for his insisting on shorts..

Here's hoping this is only a temporary glitch.

Best of luck with this, let us know how it goes.

J>

ladypeewee
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2020 7:42 AM

Thanks for your replies. I hadn't thought about keeping extra clothes and a coat in the car. Peewee has not yet given up the blue jeans. However he's getting new PJ and sweat pants for Christmas. So that might help with the shorts this winter. I am still open to more Ideal's. I like the ideal of doubling up on the same clothes.
Beachfan
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2020 3:01 PM

I have no ideas for you, only experience.  At our house, DH has progressed to the point that he can no longer find clothing, select clothing or put on or take off clothes.  We don't have your dilemma; it's definitely easier for me to manage his clothing, but sad.  It's been awhile since DH was at the stage that your Peewee is, but when he started having trouble with clothing choices and dressing, I just took over.  It's easier overall on me and he is compliant, so all's well.  Good luck.
Carol Brett
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2020 6:13 PM

This forum is very helpful to me. My husband has Hydrocephalus and seizures. He was diagnosed w MCI about 12 years ago. I see him getting increasingly worse and argumentative. He insists on wearing shorts and Sandals when it’s very cold outside. Additionally, he insists on wearing the same shorts even if he has spilled food on them and they are dirty. He is having trouble too with remembering to pull up his zipper when he uses the bathroom. One day, I found him outside in the cold in his underwear. My husband gets angry w us anytime we try and help him. He got into a terrible argument with our daughter over Thanksgiving and said some very hurtful things. It is getting harder for me and more isolating to be his wife. Any support would be appreciated.
mommom9
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2020 1:09 PM

Hi. As others have said I keep clothes in car. Also I have always changed with the seasons and find it more important now. Shirts put away. Then when heat returns sweaters go away.  I always keep jeans but am looking into pull up pants now.
amicrazytoo
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 3:51 PM

I can so relate to this. My DH, weighing 122 lbs. soaking wet. is cold all the time, he has absolutely no fat, yet I come home from work and he's wearing shorts and a sweatshirt.  He goes outside to smoke and I am amazed that he goes out in shorts when it's in the 50's, yet when it was 80 degrees out a few months ago, he had on his winter down coat. Somehow the temperature gauge gets faulty as well as the memories. Keeping a throw blanket in the car would prove helpful in MHO.  I know it's frustrating, DH's clothing is now all over the bedroom, except in his dresser or closet...

LadyTexan
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 5:04 PM

Greetings LadyPeeWee.

My DH is not dressing appropriately either and is resisting any suggestions from me.

DH is almost always cold and inches the thermostat up to 82 degrees. I am over heated. Meanwhile he is in his underwear and a Tshirt. Some days I can talk him into slippers and socks or a beanie. He has cold weather clothes but objects to them like a toddler. 

I thought his objections were due to the confusion he has to get out of his clothes in time to use the bathroom.  He has 2 new pairs of flannel pajama pants that each have an elastic waist. He is rejecting those now too.

The climate is generally mild here and some days shorts are reasonable. DH nearly always opts for underwear and a Tshirt. Argh.