RSS Feed Print
Need suggestions for window alarms
billS
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2020 1:42 PM

My wife has gone wandering at night a couple of times so I now lock all doors and hide the keys. But last night she outsmarted me and crawled out a window onto a porch, then walked 1/2 mile in the dark to a trusted neighbor. I was banished from our bedroom (she thought I was a stranger - again) and sleeping in a spare room so I did not hear anything. Thankfully the neighbor brought her home and I woke up to find them in the driveway. But now I need some way to secure several windows. I hesitate to use locks since the lower windows can serve as fire escape routes. Has anyone found a simple alarm system you can recommend? Many thanks, and I wish you all some happiness this holiday season.

-Bill

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2020 2:44 PM

This is indeed a significant challenge; I am sorry for the concern and outright worry this is causing.  Good idea to alarm the windows as soon as possible.

If one uses Google, there are many specific window alarms that can be found.  We have a monitored alarm system on our house that covers all windows, doors, and also monitors fire and CO2 alarming and it has worked well for us over the years.  The beauty of this is that because this is an alarm system, we can turn on and turn off the alarm by using the phone and can bypass any alarms on a particular window or door and keep others operational in any way we wish. It is also coded so only those with the code number can operate the alarm.   With this sort of setup, there is an initial installation cost as well as a monthly fee, but for us it has been well worth it.

If all you wish to do is alarm the windows that are accessed by your wife, that should be easier to do and less costly - you would want something that would alarm immediately and consistently when the contact is broken and that it will alarm loud enough for you to hear it in a different room; espcially if you are asleep.  (A baby alarm could help that if you do not waken easily.)  I would change the batteries in the window alarms before the usual time the literature says they need changing so as to not have any unexpected lag time occur.

Let us know what you find and how it is going, so hope this is easily resolved.

J.

Ed1937
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2020 2:47 PM

Bill, my MIL used to crawl out the windows too. One of our daughters came to visit, and saw a purse in the driveway that MIL threw out there before she started climbing out the window. I just used a piece of wood tightly pushed into the space between the lower window and the head jamb. That worked for us.
A losing hand.
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2020 3:55 PM

How about something like this?

Wander Alert Door -or- Motion Alarm Kits | SMPL 

Monitor the safety of your loved one - expandable sets!

Price: $39.99

SQBEAR50
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2020 4:22 PM

We have a Vivint security system. Have cameras in every room and an alarm on all windows and doors. If my uncle opens a door or window an alarm can be heard throughout the house.
billS
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2020 7:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will follow up and let you know what I end up doing to secure the windows.
aod326
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2020 9:55 PM

One more suggestion is to use SimpliSafe, that's what I used for DH. One thing I liked is that the alarm doesn't ring at the exit point (door or window), so didn't alarm him (no pun intended!). The alarm rings on a baby monitor type thing that I carried with me. 

I could turn the alarm on and off anytime. There was one day, though, when he was going in and out of the garage to get soda, every 5 or 10 minutes. I was on calls for work and ended up having to switch the alarm off because of the noise. As bad luck would have it, that turned to be the day he went walkabout. Five hours, six police officers and a blood hound later, he was back home!  Lesson learned!

They are not expensive, and easy to install.

Good luck.

IWBH1990
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2020 5:03 AM

I've never had my DW go thru a window, but I have had her get out of bed in the middle of the night and get into mischief. I bought a motion detector alarm from Amazon that I put on the floor on her side of the bed, and any time she gets out of bed it rings a remote alarm similar to a door bell. I am a sound sleeper, and it wakes me up. Even works when she's in bed and I bring alarm out to the garage.

Dave